Customer Service 866.965.0400

Apple Care vs Best Buy Protection

MAYBEN

Which to get if any?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which to get if any?

• Apple Care $99.99 (plus deductible)
    • Best Buy Protection $179.99 (no deductible)
    • Nothing, just practice safe usage

Well when I bought my iPad, I bought the protection from Best Buy because the salesman told me that it was only $30 more than Apple Care.. I paid $179.99 and he said Apple Care was $149.99 plus a deductible for incidents.. He also mentioned that BB replaces it with a brand new iPad versus refurbished.. I told him the price I saw for Apple Care was $99.99 but he said that was for the 16GB and the 32GB was $149.99

Apparently, he lied/spoke out of his @$$.. I checked Apple.com and saw that it is in fact $99.99.

Does anyone have either coverage? I think I may just return the BB coverage and get Apple Care, possibly even decline that as well.. I can see having it for a phone, but the iPad is more like a laptop, and you baby it a little differently than a phone lol..

any thoughts?

I have had nothing but great service from Apple. The repairs done to my MBP have paid for the warranty many times.

My iPhone 4s now has that accidental forgiveness thing where i pay a $50 deductible, haven't had to use it but peace of mind is key.

Return the BB warranty, refurbed can be thought better than new because you know its going to work, since it has been tested and outfitted with a new battery/outershell.

... but the iPad is more like a laptop, and you baby it a little differently than a phone lol..

any thoughts?

This represents my thoughts for personal electronics.... my Bride has the iPad but it is handled carefully. There is a risk but I figure that if we bought extended warranties for every electronic item we buy it would cost way too much... so overall, even if it does fail, I will still come out ahead in the long haul. Haven't bought an extended warranty for an electronic item (including phones) since the late 90s.

If this is for business purposes I take a different approach and consider the down time costs and what type of protection/time response the extended warranty gives me.

:cheers:

I'd say Apple and just be careful with it. It's a little tougher than you think.

Best Buy argues with you then they don't even send it out to an Apple Repair Center they do everything at a Best Buy Refurbishing Plant. Sometimes those people just make it worse. Usually if something goes wrong with it Apple with just replace it. If the battery stops working in an iPad after your warranty is up they just charge you $100 for the latest model.

Oh and Apple Tech Support is based mostly out of Cali and Texas. Just saying...

just my 2 cents in but ive had nothing but good luck with apple. Had to send in 2 of my ipods, my iphone and computer, all returned timely and repairs that were my fault were even covered. Along with a free upgrade of my old ipod to a brand new 64gb ipod classic, that was a good surprise :D

I had the BB protection with my old 3G....I dropped it, stopped working...they gave me a refurbished one no problem...even a loaner 3G while I was waiting for my refurbished one.

So that was fine and all but I paid countless months of premium on that plan.

Recently I purchased my wife a 4GS, visited this same situation and decided to go with the AppleCare. It was cheaper in the long run and a $50 deductible isn't bad at all....IF you even end up using it.

I'll probably end up going the AppleCare route again when it's time to upgrade to the 5G later this year.

Sounds like you got talked into the same spiel that car salesmen give you . Best advice............LISTEN........but don't buy until AFTER you go home and do the homework. It will still be there tomorrow.

i hate extended warranties, I think they are BS. Thats just my opinion though.

BTW: i would never give anything to Best Buy warranty wise. Best Buy will not be around in 2-3 years. Honestly i wouldn't be shocked if they went out of business sometime next year.

However if you must buy protection Apple will be around for a long time :)

Sounds like you got talked into the same spiel that car salesmen give you . Best advice............LISTEN........but don't buy until AFTER you go home and do the homework. It will still be there tomorrow.

I can return it, I made sure of that..

Thanks for all the info, I will need to get into BB to return and also get to Apple to verify and add Apple Care..

I wish I got the Apple Care on my 4S, I'm paying VZW $9.99 a month plus a big deductible, $180 iirc, but it does cover theft and loss.. But lots o money.. Too late :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wife and I have had every single iPhone out, as well as the iPad 1 & 3. Never paid and never needed the protection plan. I have to replace 2 phones due to weird problems within the 1st year of having them, and the Apple store has replaced them quick and easy... and free. My wife dropped my iPhone 4 and broke the front screen. Took it to the Apple store, and they replaced it for free.

I'm not a big fan of extended warranties, ESPECIALLY the sneaky/hard to redeem ones sold by the likes of Best Buy -- most are so stacked against he consumer that they're laughable. I'd just put the money aside on the off chance you need a repair, but I'm betting you'll be fine -- an iPad has no moving parts so there's technically little to break. The only variables are you dropping it or getting it wet... so by just being careful and responsible you can save yourself $100. :2thumbs:

i hate extended warranties, I think they are BS. Thats just my opinion though.

BTW: i would never give anything to Best Buy warranty wise. Best Buy will not be around in 2-3 years. Honestly i wouldn't be shocked if they went out of business sometime next year.

However if you must buy protection Apple will be around for a long time :)

I've heard that BB is in trouble although they seem to be very busy whenever I've been in one of there stores. I'm also no fan of an extended warranty.

Recently I purchased my wife a 4GS, visited this same situation and decided to go with the AppleCare. It was cheaper in the long run and a $50 deductible isn't bad at all....IF you even end up using it.

Thats the first I've ever heard of a deductible on apple care... I have it on all my products (imac, macbook, time capsule, iphone, & ipad) I've made claims with a few of them and never paid a deductible.

I wonder if this insurance is through the cell provider? We have the insurance on my son's phone and it is a $50 deductible (and we have only used it twice!).

When I flew to FL last year we took our Mac book pro with us. It was two years old at the time and we had gotten the apple care for it. Well, we got a bulk head seat and all the over head compartments were full so they had to stow it for us. That was the end of that. It was well protected with a clear clip on case and was inside the carryon of course, but when we got to FL it was toast. The screen was shot.

I took it to the local Apple Store, they looked up the serial in the computer and said. "Mr Smith, looks like you have our Apple Care so you're good to go. We'll call you when it's fixed." They called me 2 days later and had replaced the entire screen. Total bill was 378 bucks. Total out of pocket? ZERO! I paid a couple of hundred for the package I think.

For a home computer that sits on a desk... I'm not sure it's necessary, but for a laptop, it's ABSOLUTELY necessary!

I don't have it on my phones or my iPads/

I wonder if this insurance is through the cell provider? We have the insurance on my son's phone and it is a $50 deductible (and we have only used it twice!).

I actually purchased the apple care on my iphone thru sprint... they wouldn't even offer the insurance thru them... you pay $100 up front for 3 years of non-deductible apple care (limit 2 or 3 claims per year) and just deal with apple for all issues related to hardware from there forward.

I work at Best Buy as a supervisor. The differences from the protection plan and the apple care is the protection plan does cover accidental. Now I'm not over the computer department so I can't completely give you the facts of deductible or not on the ipad. The reason why the protection plan in my area is so popular is because the closest apple store is almost three hours from me. Best buy has 1100 stores being able to walk into one of those stores is alot more attractive to customers instead of driving three hours in my area.

In the way of best buy giving you the run around on the protection plan on redeeming it I can assure you its not that way at my store. The extended protection plans used to be sketchy now days the big box stores have gotten their act together on that. With my store you walk in we process the service of the product and send it off. If the service center deems it unrepairable you get to choose another product with matching technology. On the fact of the refurbished items, the items that are like that are because the manufacturer set it up that way. Like canon cameras depending on the model we send it off you are sent a refurbed model from their repair facility. Then the one being repaired is resold through a marketplace online.

Best Buy is having some issues yes but you might start seeing some things start to change. Most tvs coming out this year will be price locked for all retail companies. You will not find that model any other price at walmart, fry's, amazon anywhere unless they want to lose inventory from that manufacturer. You will more than likely see camera, mp3, and appliance companies doing the samething shortly after.

Sorry that was really long haha

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Best Buy is having some issues yes but you might start seeing some things start to change. Most tvs coming out this year will be price locked for all retail companies. You will not find that model any other price at walmart, fry's, amazon anywhere unless they want to lose inventory from that manufacturer. You will more than likely see camera, mp3, and appliance companies doing the samething shortly after.

im going to derail this a bit. The whole reason TV's are getting a Unilateral Price structure this year (like Bose/Apple) is because of the Custom Installation market. The last three years i have not bought a TV from my distributors because i could walk into a worst buy and buy it for less then i could "at dealer". I then found out that HHgregg has a CI program in place that we can walk in and buy it for X% cheaper then even from you guys ( im not going to blurt the percentage in public sense its not public knowledge)

Still i only ever sell TV's to my clients that pay my $149 handling charge on top of the TV price. Most clients choose to go pick out their own TV and im totally fine with that.

The Unilateral pricing was also pushed by you guys alot because you ARE AMAZONS showroom. So the two reason TV's are now locked down is mainly because of my industry and you guys. Unfortunately this isnt even going to matter, there are ways around the unilateral price policy and it still will be cheaper to purchase a TV online or at walmart, hh gregg, pc richards,target etc.

Im an authorized bose dealer and can do whatever i want to sell the product. just as long as it shows on the invoice that the customer paid 3299 for the lifestyle system. I can offer free installation,mounts etc or even give them a personal rebate or gift card. None of this violates the Pricing policy.

The same will go for amazon and evey other hack that sells TV's through their amazon store. Purchase through us and receive a free $250 visa gift card. Then the next guy sees that and offers a $255 gift card and so on until these people are selling them for pennys over cost like they're doing now. Or in you guy's case you will probably still lose money on the panels hopeing to sell a $200 monster cable. Which that profit is well gone because of the internet too.

This Pricing policy is 5 years too late. its is/was a good idea back when TV's were still profitable and had margins and maybe had this been enacted then circuit city would still be around, or even slowed the demise of best buy. Im not saying that TV's were their main source of income but this pricing structure should have been enacted by ALL manufactures as soon as amazon hit the market big. Amazon/online has started a downward spiral to the effect of its going to take ALONG time to get back to a level market, if it will ever go back. unfortunately its just too late for best buy.

You guys are amazons showroom. this has been true for the last 4 years. The more and more people get used to going online for EVERYTHING the harder it is for ANY brick and mortar store to remain profitable. Also the corporate guys think they are clever changing the model number slightly so someone with a smartphone cant shop that any where else. Give it three months and the database will be hacked and an app come out where it finds you the same panel with the other stores unique model number somewhere else with a better rebate.

This isnt a bash at you, i know you have NOTHING to do with this. Its a changing market place and the guys up at corporate were to cocky to ever believe it would come true. Amazon has ruined brick and mortor stores & small businesses forever. There is nothing anyone can do about it either. :mad:

now, that was long :D

Archived