Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dent on a new car... sure, why not!

The Boz

Hey everybody.....

Just wanted to show you a project I undertook and maybe get a few opinions if you like/dislike.

I want to give you a quick back story..... I was cleaning my garage a few weeks back and in my infinite wisdom, I put my yard spreader in the rafters of my garage. A few weeks later a heard a *thud* in the garage and my heart sank. I went outside and saw the spread landed on my hood (of course it would). Overall, I got off very lucky and the damage could have been sooo much worse. I buffed out all of the minor scratches no problem (thanks Adam's). I wouldn't call the worst of it a dent per se. The worst of it was more of a "stamp" mark within one of the hood scoops (2012 Dodge Charger FYI). Regardless, it still sucked. I didn't really want to take it to a body shop for such a minor stamp, not to mention the cost of it all. I think I was fairly clever in my fix, but you can all be the judge. I've always wanted matte black somewhere on my finish, this just forced my hand I suppose. So I went all MacGyver on it with some painters tape and plasti dip. The only reason this worked it because the dent was very small and not deep and I built up quite a few layers of plasti dip.

Anyway.... on to the pictures. Enjoy!

Here you can see the dent. Look on the hood for the reflection of the power outlet. Just below the reflection of the outlet....

Prepping for surgery.

Completed job.... no dent visible

Another angle. Look at that A-hole spreader in the background taunting me... I'll melt that thing!

Full frontal... lol

I grabbed a watering can off the shelf in front of my G8 and with it came a dual halogen light and a garden tool. RIGHT on the hood!!! 644 dollars later... Needless to say it was considerably worse than yours, but I had 39,000 well cared for miles on it.

Glad you got yours sorted. Looks great!!

Sent from the past using special algorithms and data nodes!

Hey everybody.....

Just wanted to show you a project I undertook and maybe get a few opinions if you like/dislike.

If you put a bullet in a gun and shot yourself, would you blame the gun? :jester:

The only thing that is above my vehicles, in my shop, are the cross-member boards and "dust." :lolsmack:

Sorry to hear what happened but the fix looks good. :thumbsup:

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the kind words and advice. I just wanted to give you all a few updates. I took a suggestion and rounted out the bottom corners of the sections. Now they exactly follow the lines of the scoop and look even better.

And on a side note, I do also know about PDR and did even get a quote. I have a very good body shop about 1/4 mile from my house. Not too bad in terms of cost either, but I'll save the repair for a later date. Since I wanted a matte finish in my scoops, this sort of killed two birds with one stone for now.

Anyway, some new pics.... Please let me know what you think!

Great solution and looks better than stock for sure! What I want to know is how you got the edge with Plasti-Dip. Did you spray it all at once and immediately take the tape off? I always thought you can't use tape with Plasti-Dip...?

Great solution and looks better than stock for sure! What I want to know is how you got the edge with Plasti-Dip. Did you spray it all at once and immediately take the tape off? I always thought you can't use tape with Plasti-Dip...?

Hey Adrian,

Thanks for the reply. In terms of how it was done, this was my process.....

First, I covered the car with a brand new plastic drop cloth. They only cost about $1.50, so I don't feel bad about throwing it away after. You really need to cover the whole car because this stuff has a fairly serious over spray.

Second, I used two kinds of tape. Standard old Painters tape for the straight lines at top and the very thin (maybe 2/16") painters tape for the rounded corners. Using this smaller tape makes curves really easy. This tape works perfectly with this method and I'll explain why.

(Let me preface the fact that both scoops were stripped with a quick IPA wipedown once taped off.)

Lastly, the application. Since this has a taped off design you cannot let the dip dry, which is why the tape works so well, the dip should not have time to dry to it. I applied about 20ish layers of plasti dip, using even, consistent and continuous spray patterns. Once the product has built up thick enough (thick enough so that it still looks very wet black) you peel the tape off at a hard angle. Since the product is still wet, you get a very clean and surgical edge to it. Then, just simply let dry.

For this amount of product built up so quickly, complete dry occurs around 30 or so minutes depending on temp. Normally, you would obviously let dip dry in thin layers, but that is only the case when you have the natural edge of the car or whatnot to help break the application edge. Designs like this require a very quick application and quick removal.

Hope this helps. Thanks for the kudos... :)