Customer Service 866.965.0400

Disappointed with first use of Wool Wash Mit...

L1lD3v1lRydr

Question

Finally got a nice day today to break out my new Wool Wash mitt and wash the ss really good. And sadly, I'm kind of disappointed with it. I don't know if I didn't do something the same as I usually do. But it didn't lather at all. Almost like it just soaked up the water in the bucket and washed all the soap out when I pulled it out and put it on the car.

Used the two bucket wash, sprayed down with Adam's foam gun, started up top with the wool mitt and worked down to the middle, and I hardly had any suds at all. Washed from the middle down using Adams Medium wash pad, same bucket, same soap and water, and it lathered really nicely as it always does.

Something else I noticed, and I'm assuming it's normal, but all the hairs/fibers pull out of the mitt pretty easily and were left on the emblems and wipers after I washed and dried.

Any one else have issues like this?

• Answers 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I did the same soak a while back and saw an improvement. Although I've never been dissapointed in the Merino at all. By the time I'm done with one panel and rub it on the grit guard I'm soaking it back in the shampoo bucket again with enough suds to do it all over.

I guess the improvement I saw after soaking in the APC is just a bonus.

I am looking forward to Mook's write up though. Great idea to help others.

I think the Merino mitt does 'age' well... like a fine wine it just gets better with time :D

Mine has a ton of use on it and it holds a crap load (technical unit of measurement :P ) of suds. As much if not more than my regular wash pad that gets used for the lower parts of the truck.

Its kind of like a baseball mitt... has to be broken in properly to get the full enjoyment out of it.

Mine has a ton of use on it and it holds a crap load (technical unit of measurement :P ) of suds.

For those who were wondering, 1000 crap loads equals a metric crap ton. :D

So I've been searching around the site to find a post that's similar to my issue without starting a new thread. This seemed to be the best fit. I have the newer 5 gallon wash buckets. Whether I put the 9x9 wash pads in my wash bucket, add the shampoo directly into one of them and then fill with water, or if I just put the recommended 2 oz of shampoo in a bucket and fill with water I don't feel that I'm getting anywhere near the amount of suds as I should from the shampoo solution itself. Even last weekend I put twice as much shampoo in as I usually do (4-5oz) and after filling the bucket most the way I only had a small amount of suds on the top (about a total of an inch of suds at the top of the bucket). Even adding more water or aggitating everything with one of the wash pads it doesn't seem to be anywhere near what I should be getting or have got with other products. I cleaned my wash pads with all purpose cleaner but it seems that I'm still just washing my car with mostly water. I don't want to get a foam gun cause I feel like it shouldn't need to be a requirement for a decent amount of suds. Do you think I should soak my pads in all purpose cleaner even longer? Did I get a bad batch of shampoo? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm worried that my car is getting a less than ideal wash right now with such a lack of suds.

Try putting the soap onto the pads.

My method:

Filll bucket with just enough water to clear grit guard, place 1-2 oz of Car Shampoo on wash pad or Merino Mitt, or both, place pad onto guard inside bucket, and alternate between filling the bucket and hitting the pad with water. Do the same for the other pad or mitt you are using. There should be more suds than you can handle.

:)

I've tried both, putting soap in the pad directly like it shows in the videos and just putting soap directly in the bucket. Very few suds either way. I'm at a loss.

Jason,

How often do you make it up to Louisville? Interested in coming up to have a mini Clinic at all? Maybe not only solve that issue, but any other questions, detailing related you have?

Parker isn't all that far away....

Mook

Jason,

How often do you make it up to Louisville? Interested in coming up to have a mini Clinic at all? Maybe not only solve that issue, but any other questions, detailing related you have?

Parker isn't all that far away....

Mook

I'd definately be interested in that. I might be up in the area next weekend. If it needs to be a weekday I could work something out to make it out a day sometime in the next few weeks. Only took me about 45min to get up there last time, I've gone a few times just to pick up some orders I placed. I'm in need of more detail spray anyway :D so was thinking of making a trip to Louisville or an Adam's dealer to get a gallon of it.

I love the Merino mitt. Bought it for my wife's new 4Runner, washed it per instructions, and it performed brilliantly. No issues with holding suds. The problem I'm having is drying. It's been a couple days and the inside of the mitt is still damp. I have seen instructions for other wool mitts that say turn them inside out or else they will get moldy. What's the consensus for Adam's mitt?

I would stick it on a boot dryer if I still had one.

Theres really only one option left out there guys... Gilmours foam master... if you search amazon you'll find a number of places selling the various models. You just want to make sure you get one with an adjustable ratio setting. Theres one model they make thats fixed, which you don't want.

All the various ones sold at 'wall-mart of detailing' are gilmours with different brand stickers stuck to the canister.

Thanks for this. We've moved into an apartment for the next year or so and I sold my old cruddy pressure washer. Needed a hose-only foam gun. Thanks!

Edited by WarBunny

I also turn the wrist cuff into the wash pad and stick a bottle inside to hold it up. Before that I just set it on a towel and let it dry without any issues. I always wring the mitt out as well as I can and then put it on my hand and shake the living crap out of it to get the remaining water out. This leaves it damp and it dries much quicker.

With the wool wash mitt and the synthetic wash pads I do a little fast-pitch softball type arm movement after I've cleaned it to 'fling' as much water out of it as I can then hang it from a hook in my garage... its usually dry a day or 2 later.

So long as you keep good airflow around it and don't stick it somewhere where it will stay damp for extended periods (ie - a sealed bucket) theres probably no concern about mold.

With the wool wash mitt and the synthetic wash pads I do a little fast-pitch softball type arm movement after I've cleaned it to 'fling' as much water out of it as I can

This should go in volume 9, lol. So we can see first hand.

This should go in volume 9, lol. So we can see first hand.

With the wool wash mitt and the synthetic wash pads I do a little fast-pitch softball type arm movement after I've cleaned it to 'fling' as much water out of it as I can then hang it from a hook in my garage... its usually dry a day or 2 later.

So long as you keep good airflow around it and don't stick it somewhere where it will stay damp for extended periods (ie - a sealed bucket) theres probably no concern about mold.

I also turn the wrist cuff into the wash pad and stick a bottle inside to hold it up. Before that I just set it on a towel and let it dry without any issues. I always wring the mitt out as well as I can and then put it on my hand and shake the living crap out of it to get the remaining water out. This leaves it damp and it dries much quicker.

I hadn't seen that thread, but I'll try that. Thanks!

I do like mook showed in his thread, turn the cuff inside and put a bottle inside. Then put it on top of a grit guard so air can get under

I just hang mine over the edge of my wash bucket and let it air dry, haven't had any issues with it drying

^^Anyone? Am I really the only one who has issues drying this thing?

Best Practice for Drying Merino Wool Mitt