Customer Service 866.965.0400

Disappointed with first use of Wool Wash Mit...

L1lD3v1lRydr

Question

Finally got a nice day today to break out my new Wool Wash mitt and wash the ss really good. And sadly, I'm kind of disappointed with it. I don't know if I didn't do something the same as I usually do. But it didn't lather at all. Almost like it just soaked up the water in the bucket and washed all the soap out when I pulled it out and put it on the car.

Used the two bucket wash, sprayed down with Adam's foam gun, started up top with the wool mitt and worked down to the middle, and I hardly had any suds at all. Washed from the middle down using Adams Medium wash pad, same bucket, same soap and water, and it lathered really nicely as it always does.

Something else I noticed, and I'm assuming it's normal, but all the hairs/fibers pull out of the mitt pretty easily and were left on the emblems and wipers after I washed and dried.

Any one else have issues like this?

• Answers 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Swimmingly eh? lol. I'll give that a shot. But only because you said "Swimmingly"

Did this work for you? I am having the same problem.

I have soaked the merino once with 3oz with little improvement. I will go back and see how 4-5oz works.

Pay attention to what Dylan and I are saying, although I don't know if I've popped in here yet.

Take your wash bucket, fill it with hot water, 4 oz. APC. Mix it up, soak mitt in there for a few hours. Then rinse Mitt with water until it's no longer APC filled.

It should work swimmingly. Mine do.

Did this work for you? I am having the same problem.

I have soaked the merino once with 3oz with little improvement. I will go back and see how 4-5oz works.

Did you use "hot" water? I notice that Mook specified "hot water", must be some sort of a difference, as opposed to warm or regular hose (cold) water.

i used mine a couple times before cleaning it with APC. it didn't suds up out of the box like mentioned here, but afterward it held soap just like the wash pad.

i'm gunna say wool wash mitt > wash pad after a thorough soak in some APC and water, simply because it is SO much softer than the pads!

There's a definite difference between the two. Both have there advantages/disadvantages. Probably going to come down to personal preferences.

Foam wash pad retains suds longer, but generally you get less longevity out of the pad vs wool mitt.

Wool mitt might not retain as much suds, but in my opnion is safer on paint, easier to use or control and will last way longer then foam pads.

I would recommend a foam gun for the initial soap app, then use a wool mitt to clean.

Also curious...

I just bought the one from auto geek, quart foam master. Unfortunately I haven't tried it yet, won't arrive until tomorrow. It looks to be good, maybe someone else can weigh in.

Edited by Dylan@Adams

Theres really only one option left out there guys... Gilmours foam master... if you search amazon you'll find a number of places selling the various models. You just want to make sure you get one with an adjustable ratio setting. Theres one model they make thats fixed, which you don't want.

All the various ones sold at 'wall-mart of detailing' are gilmours with different brand stickers stuck to the canister.

Depends largely on your water pressure. Since its not "forced" like a pressure washer based foam cannon is it relies on the speed/pressure of the water passing thru it to draw the solution up the hose and air in thru the intake by creating a vacuum. The stronger your water pressure the better it will foam, and often times the less soap it will require to get a good lather going. This is also why its important to have the adjustable meter.

I generally recommend you start at about 3-4oz of soap to a full canister of water... test it. If you get a weak foam either increase the meter or another ounce of soap. Test agian. Repeat. Once you find the sweet spot then you'll know and its easy from there out, its just getting it dialed in that first time.

If you're bonkers about foam and don't mind blowing thru soap really fast you can fill the canister up with just straight soap. It will make REALLY thick foam, but its a bit over the top (unless you feel you need it)

Also, a tip... FILL THE CANISTER WITH WATER FIRST then add the soap. I laugh when I see people add the soap first then try to fill it. The soap instantly foams up and you end up with something that resembles a badly poured beer with 8" of head and a little soapy water at the bottom. Just add the soap after theres water in there. Screw the top on and swish it around to mix them.

So I guess this thread's no longer about the merino mitt... :o

Let's make it.

I used mine a couple days ago...the original since they came out...I care for it like the other Washpads I have and such...

So I must be what, 30+ washes in on it? THIS THING WAS HOLDING MORE SOAP than the 9x9. I looked twice to make sure. I will have a writeup later today or tomorrow on proper cleaning, and storage for the Merino Mitt.

Mook

Let's make it.

I used mine a couple days ago...the original since they came out...I care for it like the other Washpads I have and such...

So I must be what, 30+ washes in on it? THIS THING WAS HOLDING MORE SOAP than the 9x9. I looked twice to make sure. I will have a writeup later today or tomorrow on proper cleaning, and storage for the Merino Mitt.

Mook

I do have to admit, at first this mitt didn't impress me all that much. I had cleaned it with APC like Dylan suggested, and used it for dozens of washes, but it just never seemed to hold that much soap. Finally I put it in a bucket of hot water and dumped an entire sample bottle of APC in and let it soak for a few hours as you suggested. I've only used it once since that hot APC soak, but it does seem to work a little better. A few more washes and I should be able to confirm if I was just imagining things or if there really was an improvement. I'm pretty sure it is the latter though. :xfingers: