Customer Service 866.965.0400

Thinking about a G8

ExpressThis13

Well this year I have had some good things come my way after being patient and im thinking about trading up to a G8. Now here in Iowa we have all seasons of course so it would need some winter tires and I am more than aware of that fact. Looking specifically a GT in Stryker Blue Metallic with leather n roof so im just looking to other G8 owners here for some insight on what kind of problems you may have encountered. I know there is no such things as a problem free car otherwise we would all have money for other things lol also a g8 is hard to find around here so how is the room? Im not a skinny guy and at 6ft even im a little concerned for room. Ive driven a gto and loved how much room it had and how it sat i know were talking couple to sedan here. Thanks guys.

Well this year I have had some good things come my way after being patient and im thinking about trading up to a G8. Now here in Iowa we have all seasons of course so it would need some winter tires and I am more than aware of that fact. Looking specifically a GT in Stryker Blue Metallic with leather n roof so im just looking to other G8 owners here for some insight on what kind of problems you may have encountered. I know there is no such things as a problem free car otherwise we would all have money for other things lol also a g8 is hard to find around here so how is the room? Im not a skinny guy and at 6ft even im a little concerned for room. Ive driven a gto and loved how much room it had and how it sat i know were talking couple to sedan here. Thanks guys.

I'm 5' 10" and by no means skinny. My G8 is plenty spacious no matter which seat I've parked my carcass in.

Stryker Blue huh? Sport Red maybe? I got a GT with leather and a roof, a complete roof that is, no big hole in it. :jester:

BTW: I've got the original Goodyear Eagle RSAs and I've yet to have problems with them in the snow including Snowmegeddon. I was the last to leave the office that day and had no issues getting home in that blizzard. My commute is 60/40 rural/city. The only times I've broke traction in that car is when I want to like in the cul-de-sac or office parking lot for donuts...or down that one short road no one lives on where I power slide from one end to the other. :D

Edited by sportredmistress

I agree! My G8 has tons of room, huge trunk! The only problem Ive had with mine so far is the pass side airbag switch went on me ( that cost $600 canadian) but thats all for me. Car handles like a dream to; stryker blue is a very nive vibrant color :) oh ya, Im 5'7 and the husband is close to 6'and we both have lots of head room so i dont think thats something youll have to worry about with a G8, back seat is very spacious, even with the front seats all the way back no ones knees will be jammed in the back of your seat... awesome for both people lol. Good luck with the decision, hope you join the G8 family

Eric, as Megan and Paul have said there is lots of room. I can put the drivers seat back so I can hardly reach the pedals. I am about 5-11. Passenger seat has limitation to back travel but I have seen posts how to fix that.

I debated winter tires, but went the route of a DD so I can keep it out of the salt until I retire to NC. I plan on keeping the G8 through retirement and will try to beat the 13 year 303,000 mile record I had with my Grand Prix.

I love my G8 and it runs even better with the Cortex tune. It has lots of power and a firm but comfortable ride. I grew up driving rear wheel drives so I wasn't afraid of it even in snow country here in northern Ohio.

Best of Luck with your decision.

I always get compliments on mine, gas stations & places like that. Especially when I get pulled over! haha. Back seats are so comfortable, I don't drive mine in the winter, since it has Nitto's 555 tires on it. It sure is a blast to drive!!!

Oddly enough I'm considering a G8 to replace the veloster as well... Need a sedan, just don't want a boring one! I have found a few with less than 25K miles for around 25K $.

This right there is really the only quirk (from a buyers perspective...good from an owners) is that they are maintaining their value like crazy. I bought mine used with 11k miles for $23.5k, and now over 2 years later, even with 25k miles, my particular KBB value is $400 more than what I originally paid.

The only issues I've had were replacing the lower control arms (there is a service bulletin on this and it will be done for free, but I assume if you are buying one now it will already have had the work done....just make sure to ask). Also a crappy original gas cap will randomly throw a check engine light - GM made updated replacements (also free) to correct the problem.

Im open to colors but prefer blue though I know blue is one of the hardest to find. I miss my blue sss i loved the color and the blue g8 is almost identical. I kinda wanna stay away from black just because it shows everyfreakin thing and with my schedule from work n such I do not have much time for detailing. My truc has been so neglected this year just because im working so many hours and just dead beat tired I cant find the energy to detail my truck

Get compliments on mine every weekend I take her out. The look the power and just knowing you have the "last of the brand" makes it even better.

I have been considering selling mine on and off for the past several months. I know how much I will regret it if I do. But thought about getting a G8 GXP instead.

Mine is a garage queen and sits all week until the weekend. Never seen rain or snow. I catch a lot of flack about it but ..she stays pretty!

Funny you're targeting the SBM blue color, I too love that color, but in my local area, I think there's no less than 5 of them!

In contrast, there's a few black ones (PBM), 2 dark red ones (SRM), a silver one, and one or two MGM's, including mine. I love my g8, sure, it's had a small subset of problems, but some of them I caused...lol.

It does turn heads where ever it goes, that's for sure. And it's a blast to drive. Mine is a year round driver and I have a set of snow tires that plow through anything. Rusty underneith? Yep, this is a workin car and daily driver, not a garage queen, but it brings me smiles every day I drive it, which makes it all worthwhile.

Lately I've been playing around with some interior electronic mods. Pontiacs are traditionally "red" ... well, not mine:

zepcom-interior.jpg

Anyways, good luck on the hunt, if you know what you're looking for (sounds like you do) and are thorough on your test drive (as you should be) and ask to take the car to a trusted mechanic contingency of purchasing, you should be fine.

Or you could save up for the upcoming Chevy SS... but those will be "limited edition" as well. :)

The G8 community is awesome, and I'm glad to be a part of it.

--zepcom

Go for it!!! as many others have already said. I could have gotten the V6 or the V8 for almost the same price in 6/2009, and chose the V6. (Sorry Mayben:jester:) I've been totally smitten with it ever since. My wife says I love my G8 more than I love her...sometimes she's not all that far off - :lol:

We use the car for long haul vacations - plenty of room in trunk and rear seat. Every seat is comfortable. It's also my DD, but doesn't get a ton of miles because I work from home.

The rarity and exclusivity just adds to the overall enjoyment owning a G8. It always turns heads - my entire family continues to point out every other driver that is 'looking'. As long as the recalls have been addressed and the vehicle you pick has been well maintained (and documented), you will be completely happy. I know I am.....:)

Go for it!!! as many others have already said. I could have gotten the V6 or the V8 for almost the same price in 6/2009, and chose the V6. (Sorry Mayben:jester:) I've been totally smitten with it ever since. My wife says I love my G8 more than I love her...sometimes she's not all that far off - :lol:

We use the car for long haul vacations - plenty of room in trunk and rear seat. Every seat is comfortable. It's also my DD, but doesn't get a ton of miles because I work from home.

The rarity and exclusivity just adds to the overall enjoyment owning a G8. It always turns heads - my entire family continues to point out every other driver that is 'looking'. As long as the recalls have been addressed and the vehicle you pick has been well maintained (and documented), you will be completely happy. I know I am.....:)

:iagree::iagree:

:iagree:as well. I love my v6. I do hope to some day trade up to a gt but funds are low these days. Even though I have the base model, I keep it clean and well maintained. I keep receiving letters from a local Chevy dealership offering me more than what I paid for it so they are definitely holding their value.

And if you can swing a V8... I apologize for the poor recording, but here's a quick snippet of my car taken with my cell phone with the windows down and the phone resting in the center console. That's 1-7/8" American Racing Headers long-tube headers, Magnaflow axlebacks, and a Vararam intake.

Very nice ..She sounds nice and healthy!