Customer Service 866.965.0400

porter cable good for first timer??

hemi1300

Question

have never in my life used a polisher/buffer before, mainly bc i have always been terrified i'm gonna burn through the paint and make it worse. Wife and i both drive black vehicles and my truck has some very minor hairline scratches in the clearcoat, not even very noticeable in the sunglight, but notice them all the time in the garage under the fluorescent lighting. Was thinking about buying this kit Adam's Basic Porter Cable 7424 XP Polisher Kit

but not sure. Not looking for showroom paint perfection, but something to safely remove a few hairline swirls/scratches in the clear would be great. Have tried numerous hand polishes/scratch removers with no changed results. Is the pc a good choice for a beginner just looking for the random paint correction? Any chance i could make the paint worse and haze it, or something along those lines?

The PC is probably the best polisher for a beginner.

As long as you follow the instructions in the videos that Adam's team has created then there is not possible way for you to worsen the paint.

Frankly, the only way you can hurt the paint with a PC is if you:

1) don't put a pad on it

2) swing it by the cord into the side of your vehicle

Two things I highly doubt anyone would do. Haha.

Happy detailing, Derek!

Thanks for the quick reply. Just can't decide if i should take a step forward into the machine polishing world lol. Have just about every other adams product and wash the wife's jeep and my truck every weekend, neighbors think i am seriously ill. Amazing how the black vehicles shine with bg, qs, americana or buttery wax. How often is polishing with a machine acceptable? Would u eventually wear right through the clear if u machine polished too often?

The porter cable is perfect for a beginner. I had never used a buffer either until

The porter cable. There is pretty much no chance you can hurt your paint

With a pc. Get one and review the Adams videos and get the process down.

Your black paint will look awesome and will shine like new. :pc:

Derek,

Where in Ohio are you? There are several buckeyes here, and we can walk you through it. I started with the PC and now have the Flex also. I'd be happy to lend a hand, time permitting (if you would like to try one first)

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the porter cable starter kit. So excited to finally try a machine polisher and get my black paint near perfect, but also very nervous at the same time. Any good tips for a beginner with a new power tool in his hands. Figure I'll watch the video quite a few times, and test it out first on my company service van (white though). Could care less if I take the paint right off that thing lol

Another question, is it ok to just polish certain areas for correction, like fixing swirls etc. or should u polish the whole vehicle once u start

Some start with a panel at a time to get used to the machine and to get it 'perfect'. Start with a 2' x 2' area (hood, trunk, door panel) that is representative of the condition of the paint. Work that area until it it the way you want it to look. If you are using SHR you will need to work the FMP next to see the true level of correction. Now you have a good idea of what the rest of the car will need and estimate you time from there.

Should be here tomorrow, gonna be nervous as hell to try it out on my black beauty lol. Using shr first, will I see a bunch of fine micro scratches after, that will level right out with the fine machine polish?. My main worry is I try it out on the paint and then get it out in the sun and notice a bunch of "buffer" type swirls. Along with watching the Adams how to's, gonna watch a bunch of the junkman how to vids also. He does a great job explaining what to do, and not do, plus he cracks me up

No fear of the 'buffer type' swirls with the PC, it does not have enough power to make them. Those come from using a rotary and not finishing down the polish, not using a finishing polish, or using a product with lots of fillers that get removed after a wash.

Derek .. trust me when I tell you ..you will be fine just take your time.. try it first on a fender. If you have watched any of the videos you will know the right way of using the PC.

Once you go through the steps of Swirl & Haze and Fine Machine Polish and last the machine super sealant you will be amazed. You will see results right after the swirl & haze remover.. no need to worry about additional swirls in the paint. The PC orbital is not like using a circular type of buffer. You will NOT burn the paint or cause more swirls.

Good luck and like I said.. take your time. Afterwards sit back have a beer and enjoy the the results. :2thumbs:

Since you watched Adam's videos, watch them again instead of Junkman's. The two have different techniques. While they both know what they are doing and get great results, blending techniques does not work (ask how I know).

Have fun, expect to spend quite a bit of time polishing, and even more time just standing staring at what you've just accomplished!

Another question, is it ok to just polish certain areas for correction, like fixing swirls etc. or should u polish the whole vehicle once u start

Like others said, it's actually a good idea to just focus on one panel at first to experiment with. The worst that can happen is that you'll have a beautiful fender next to a merely decent looking door or whatever.;) But the idea is that you'll eventually get the whole vehicle to the same level.

I've had times where I was in a crunch and waxed just the front part one weekend and the rest the following weekend. Did it bug me? Yes. But I doubt anyone else noticed.

One thing you can do to practice with your new polisher is go by any auto body shop and ask them if you can take some scrap panels 90% of them will not care at all. I work for a body shop and detail on the side and this is how I perfected my technique. I would take home a hood or fender or whatever decent panel I could fine that had noticeable imperfections and go to work on it without worrying about anything. Also did this to practice wet sanding before I take sandpaper to mine or anyone else's paint. It's a lot less nerve racking when you can take a key to paint and have no consequences.

i started with the PC, after 3 corrections i already wanted a flex. wish i would have gotten the flex instead. as long as your confident in yourself and watch the videos you should have no problem using the flex. it all comes down to you though.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/machine-polishing/9207.htm

PC is safe for novices, though the Flex isn't necessarily just for experts only since it is still much safer than a rotary buffer. Whichever you choose, watch the Adam's videos, and just for good measure check out some of their older ones on Youtube as well.

Edited by Redbeard

before even doing any of this, how should the car be cleaned? I am a noob too and looking to get the PC kit.

First, you will want to strip wash the vehicle to remove any wax or other products currently on the vehicle. You can either:

1) Use original, blue Dawn dish soap

2) Use 2-4oz of APC with a car wash shampoo.

Next step is to remove surface contaminants from the paint which means claying the paint.

After that you're good to go into polishing!

Awesome! didnt know dawn dish soap had that kind of power thanks again man :)

Just dawn dish soap and water?

Dawn is actually a pretty stout degreaser.

It does tend to dry out the plastic and rubber trim pieces so don't forget to apply a dressing that moisturizes them afterwards.