Customer Service 866.965.0400

1965 Amphicar Detail

JBlack151

1965 Amphicar Detail

DSC_0456.jpg

Okay....so I don't know if this thread should be under "Cars" or if it should be under "Other" however I will go with "Cars" since I detailed this on ground and not in the water! :lol:

This time I had the pleasure of working on a very rare right hand drive 1965 Amphicar that my client recently purchased and was just delievered a few days ago from Wisconsin. I've seen articles on these cars, but never really seen one in person to know what they are all about. Instead of me trying to put together all the info on this car here is a little run down provided by the all mighty internet.

The Amphicar is an amphibious automobile, the first such vehicle mass-produced for sale to the public starting in 1961. The Amphicar was designed to be marketed and sold in the USA. Compared to most boats or cars, its performance was modest. Nevertheless, it is still among the most successful amphibious civilian autos of all time, and still often prized and preserved as novelty collectible automobiles today.

Production started in 1961. From 1963 to 1965 cars were assembled from parts inventory built up in anticipation of sales of 20,000 per year. Production ended in 1965. Total production was 3,878 vehicles before the company folded. 99 right-hand drives were converted from left-hand drives. Some were used in the Berlin police department and others were fitted for rescue operations.

I was really excited yet confused on how to attack this detail. I think overall I was just finding myself staring at it. I kept thinking it was a mini 57 Bel-Air or something to be used as a prop or toy. So I got to work and washed her down with some Car Shampoo and APC to strip anything off that may have been used prior.

For the wheels and tires I used Super VRT and hit the chrome hubcaps with Revive Polish followed by some Quick Sealant.

Once she was all washed up I began clay barring the paint which had a large amount of contaminants built up on the upper pannels, trunk and hood. None of the contaminants were visible but were extremely rough to the touch with the plastic bag tests.

Once all clayed I started with a pass of SHR with the Flex and followed it up with some FMP. From there I figured it would only be necessary to layer this thing up with MSS and QS on everything possible. My client doesn't have intentions of using this in the nearby waters but the next owner may, so why not seal it up to the max.

After the sealants cured I hit the paint with some BG with the red pad and the flex. From there a nice coat of APW was applied for the LSP on the exterior.

Moving on to the interior was the next project. I had to scrub scrub and scrub the seats and panels on this thing with LIC and a Carpet Brush. The dirt was embedded into the cracks and everywhere else. Thankfully I got it looking pretty good compared to how it looked when I started. I hit the rubber floor panels with some APC and LIC and a few utility towels. From there I used some Revive Polsih on the dashboard and topped it off with BG and Buttery Wax for a good shine.

I know I know, enough with the reading and get on to the pictures. Well HOLD ON! You must know all the products used for this detail.....DUH!

-Adam's Commercial Grade Car Wash Hose

-Adam’s Ultimate Fire Hose Car Wash Nozzle

-Adam’s All Purpose Cleaner

-Adam’s Fender & Tire Brush

-Adam's Wheel Woolies

-Adam’s Green Wheel Cleaner

-Adam’s Boulder Blond Boars Hair Wheel Brush

-Adam’s Car Wash Shampoo (With All Purpose Cleaner Strip Wash)

-Adam’s Double Car Wash Grit Guard Bucket Kit & Caddy

-Adam’s Ultimate Merino Wool Car Wash Mitt

-Adam's Lugnut Brush

-Adam’s Great White Microfiber Drying Towels

-Adam’s Blaster Sidekick Dryer by MetroVac

-Adam’s Waterless Wash

-Adam’s Waterless Wash Waffle Towels

-Adam’s Super VRT Tire & Trim Dressing

-Adam’s Hex-Grip Pro Tire Dressing Applicator

-Adam’s Edgeless Microfiber Utility Towels

-Adam’s VRT Super Block Dressing Applicators

-Adam’s In & Out Spray

-Adam’s Detailing Clay Bar

-Adam’s Detail Spray

-Adam’s Professional Detailers Masking Tape

-Adam’s Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner

-Adam’s Carpet Cleaning Brush

-Adam's Leather & Interior Cleaner

-Adam's Leather & Interior Cleaning Brush

-Adam’s Glass Cleaner

-Adam’s Glass Cleaning Towels

-Adam’s American Pride Heavy Duty Detailers 50’ Extension Cord

-Flex XC 3401 VRG Polisher

-Adam’s Swirl & Haze Remover Polish & Orange Polishing Pad

-Adam’s Fine Machine Polish & White Polishing Pad

-Adam's Machine Super Sealant & Machine Super Sealant Machine Pad

-Adam’s Brilliant Glaze & Red Machine Pad

-Adam's Quick Sealant

-Adam’s Americana Premium Wax & Glaze Applicators

-Adam's Americana Premium Carnauba Paste Wax

-Adam's Buttery Wax

-Adam's Single Soft Towels

-Adam's Double Soft Towels

-Adam’s Pro Detailers Cart

-Adam’s Rolling Detail Seat

I know present you with the pictures!

DSC_0454.jpg

DSC_0455.jpg

DSC_0457.jpg

DSC_0459.jpg

DSC_0460.jpg

DSC_0461.jpg

DSC_0462.jpg

DSC_0463.jpg

DSC_0464.jpg

DSC_0465.jpg

DSC_0466.jpg

DSC_0467.jpg

DSC_0468.jpg

DSC_0470.jpg

DSC_0471.jpg

DSC_0472.jpg

DSC_0473.jpg

DSC_0474.jpg

DSC_0475.jpg

DSC_0476.jpg

DSC_0477.jpg

DSC_0478.jpg

DSC_0479.jpg

DSC_0480.jpg

DSC_0483.jpg

DSC_0485.jpg

Thanks for checking it out and as always THANK YOU TO ADAM'S POLISHES! :2thumbs:

Very cool car to detail!

Did they just register it as a boat or do they register it as a car as well?

I thought about you during this detail and the "What Are We Detailing" contest. This would have been a good one for that.

As for the registration, I don't know. I do know the plan is to bring it to an auction early next year to sell. I'll be going over it again before that for any needed touch ups.

^Not his garage, it's the client's.

And John, that thing is NUTS!!! Beautiful work as always bro! That thing is fit for one cool-azz Smurf!!!! :)

ohhhhh. I assumed it was his garage b/c a lot of the write ups are always taken there when different details are completed. Dang, this guys has to be your #1 client!

Thanks for all the cool comments guys.

Yup, he's my top client for sure. I cut him some serious deals because of it too. I do most of my work at this garage he built for some of his cars since it's right down the street from my house and it has hot water, built in stereo system, and heat/AC. He let's me do most of the cars I get from my area there as well instead of going to their homes. I guess you can say we spoil each other. He gets all his rides "Adamized" and I get a great place to do my work! :thumbsup:

Edited by JBlack151

Those Amphicar pictures bring back some memories. A friend of mine had an Amphicar in the mid-1960's. We took that thing out for joy riding and always ended up going in the river with it. Many times, people called the police to get us "rescured" since they thought a car had gone into the water. Those were some good old days. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

• 3 months later...

Just thought I would share with you guys. The Amphicar is up for auction this weekend at the Atlantic City Classic Car Show and Auction. My client sent me a shot of the car this morning.

Sorry for the low quality picture.

java5yre.jpg