Customer Service 866.965.0400

???'s for Weber grill owners / grill connoisseur's

paoutdoorsman

Y'all need to try Veggie Bombs that DemoN turned me onto. I don't use my side burner any more. I simply put the veggies in foil with a lump of butter and seasoning directly onto the grill, and like Harry Potter magic, they become perfect. One day I will build me a pit!

I do belive I read about that. Have to post it again .. :2thumbs:

Looks like $100 to jump from the 310 to the 330. We have had side burners on our last two 'disposables' and we just never use it. So would you pay $100 for the sear functionality?

Good point, honestly I think that's why I didn't get it because it was that much more. There has been hundreds of times when I wish I could add a side burner. But Weber doesn't make a kit that you can add a side burner. Next time we spend that amount of money on a grill it will be a built in addition to the deck.

Good point, honestly I think that's why I didn't get it because it was that much more. There has been hundreds of times when I wish I could add a side burner. But Weber doesn't make a kit that you can add a side burner. Next time we spend that amount of money on a grill it will be a built in addition to the deck.

That was a serious question... Can a steak really be prepared that much better with the searing station? I ask because I don't know. In theory you could sear without the extra sear burner right? Just give it time to get good and extra hot before tossing them on? Sorry if these questions sound silly... Just call me noob!

Y'all need to try Veggie Bombs that DemoN turned me onto. I don't use my side burner any more. I simply put the veggies in foil with a lump of butter and seasoning directly onto the grill, and like Harry Potter magic, they become perfect. One day I will build me a pit!

Where has DemoN been anyway. Haven't seen him post in quite a while. Hope all is well. Tell me more about these veggie bombs. When do you know that they are done?

That was a serious question... Can a steak really be prepared that much better with the searing station? I ask because I don't know. In theory you could sear without the extra sear burner right? Just give it time to get good and extra hot before tossing them on? Sorry if these questions sound silly... Just call me noob!

Yes... I know on my egg,, once the temp is at 600. I throw them on 2 minutes each side. then flip it back over for about 3-4 minutes depending on thickness of steak. 2 min to sear one side then flip for 2 on the other..

Love to sear me some steaks. Get the egg to about 600, 2 minutes on each side then flip back over for about 3-4 minutes. Med Well and juicy... Love me some steak on a grill.

Never used the sear part on the ole weber we had. Works good on the egg. Should of tried it before now. Making me hungry with all this... lunch time :cheers:

BGE searing question. You get the grill up to 600 to sear each side for 2 min. For the additonal 3-4 min cook time do you drop the grill's temp at all or stay at about 600? If you are dropping it, how? I can't get mine to a lower temp in any reasonable amount of time. Last time I did tri-tips I wanted to sear them, then do a slow cook over a few hours. Never happened since I couldn't get the temp down.

BGE searing question. You get the grill up to 600 to sear each side for 2 min. For the additonal 3-4 min cook time do you drop the grill's temp at all or stay at about 600? If you are dropping it, how? I can't get mine to a lower temp in any reasonable amount of time. Last time I did tri-tips I wanted to sear them, then do a slow cook over a few hours. Never happened since I couldn't get the temp down.

from what i read, there's 2 ways.

first, get the grill up above 600, cook steaks with cover closed 1-2 minutes each side, remove from heat and wrap in foil. bring grill temp down to 400-450. cook meat remaining time. note: meat will continue cooking as it rests off the grill

second way is just a reverse of the first way. cook at 400-450, remove from heat and wrap in foil a couple minutes early. bring temp up to 600+. place meat back on grill with lid open for 1-2 minutes per side.

reason you leave grill open is because if you close the lid, the top will cook while the bottom sears. with the lid open the bottom sears and the top doesn't cook.

or do what BGE says: The Perfect Steaks | Big Green Egg - The Ultimate Cooking Experience

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

I assume you were wanting to slow cook another item after you cooked your steaks, correct? Close the vent on the bottom and then open the vent on the top letting the heat escape is what I would suggest. With the vent closed on the bottom your cutting off airflow, but by having the top open your letting the heat escape. If that makes sense.

I assume you were wanting to slow cook another item after you cooked your steaks, correct? Close the vent on the bottom and then open the vent on the top letting the heat escape is what I would suggest. With the vent closed on the bottom your cutting off airflow, but by having the top open your letting the heat escape. If that makes sense.

Actually, in the case I was thinking of I was doing a couple larger Tri-Tips and the recipe I was following said to sear them, then drop the temp to slow cook.

I didn't realize that that keeping the top open would cool it down in this situation. I thought that would help keep it going since it lets air in. I had been trying to do it with both closed to kill the heat source down. It makes a bit of sense though that they could help lower it. Thanks

I'm a little late to this conversation but I figure I'd throw some info out there since I didnt see anything about this.

1st - ThermoWorks - Splash-Proof Thermapen Thermometer

check these out. absolutely the best thermometer ive used in my life

2nd - Primo Grills and Smokers

This is a biggie. Probably the best grill in the country. Kind of expensive, well really expensive but we know how the ol' saying goes. I do not have one but my dad and brother both use them exclusively at home (they use cabinet smokers at competitions). Why does it matter what they use you might ask? Well I'll tell you. haha. They are currently ranked 67th in the country(Big-Blue-Que) on the KCBS pro circuit. If you follow bbq then you know thats pretty major.......oh and its only their 2nd year pro. They won reserve grand champion(2nd place) this past weekend in tupelo, missisippi. Johnny Trigg was there. Wish I was!

I shared all of this because until they got into competing I didnt know crap about cooking and I've learned tons from them already. I will say that a device like the thermopen has really increased the quality of meat that I take off the grill. I have adapted some new cooking techniques and now I'm using competition spices which makes a huge difference as well. If anybody has any questions I would be more than happy to answer any that I can!

After cooking the chicken breast, got the Egg to 600 degrees. Adjusting the vents bottom and top. Once there, put the steaks on for 2 min, flip for 2 more min. Then I flip again back to the first side 3-4 min depending on thickness of steak. You can then close the vents and allow it to start shutting down if you are done cooking. That is how we do it. Never failed us yet. :2thumbs:

I'm a little late to this conversation but I figure I'd throw some info out there since I didnt see anything about this.

1st - ThermoWorks - Splash-Proof Thermapen Thermometer

check these out. absolutely the best thermometer ive used in my life

2nd - Primo Grills and Smokers

This is a biggie. Probably the best grill in the country. Kind of expensive, well really expensive but we know how the ol' saying goes. I do not have one but my dad and brother both use them exclusively at home (they use cabinet smokers at competitions). Why does it matter what they use you might ask? Well I'll tell you. haha. They are currently ranked 67th in the country(Big-Blue-Que) on the KCBS pro circuit. If you follow bbq then you know thats pretty major.......oh and its only their 2nd year pro. They won reserve grand champion(2nd place) this past weekend in tupelo, missisippi. Johnny Trigg was there. Wish I was!

I shared all of this because until they got into competing I didnt know crap about cooking and I've learned tons from them already. I will say that a device like the thermopen has really increased the quality of meat that I take off the grill. I have adapted some new cooking techniques and now I'm using competition spices which makes a huge difference as well. If anybody has any questions I would be more than happy to answer any that I can!

i also have heard really good things about Primo Grills, if it weren't for the price, i would've bought that instead of my gasser. i really like the oval design and all the accessories and versatility of it also. can't beat American Made either :patriot:

• 2 years later...

MAP torch (Bernzomatic works well) is the best way to light a charcoal/lump grill. No cords etc, and you can get it to the temp you need quickly.

I'm a BGE enthusiast and have been for years. Our beach rental last summer had a gas grill and I was lost using it. I went out and bought a Weber charcoal grill while we were there to make things easier for me ha ha.

I'll throw this into the conversation,

Grill Grates, http://www.grillgrate.com

cooool.  I looked at the grates and may have to purchase one for my weber.  It's crazy that the full weber kettle grate is about the same price I paid for my entire kettle.  

Hmmmm, buy grate for $100 or buy car wash stuff!!!!???

My go to after work grill is my Holland Grill, everything from grill, smoke, steam and have even baked pies and pizza on. Have owned the same one for fifteen years. http://www.hollandgrill.com/

My smoker is a Weber Smokey Mountain 22. http://www.weber.com/grills/series/smokers/smc-smoker-22

My alternate smoker when I don't have time to watch as closely to my temps and doing large batches to deer sausage and brats.https://www.masterbuilt.com/smokers

If you haven't noticed my name "Weber Dude", I love Webers. I have 3 old Weber gassers, a Smokey Mountain, mini Weber smoker, 2 performers (1-gen2, & 1-SS), Smokey Joe, Jumbo Joe, 5 22" kettles, and 1 26" flattop kettle. You can smoke/grill anything on your standard 22" kettle. They're light and easy to move around and transport. I love charcoal cooking but I do use the gassers on occasion. You can find them on craigslist for free or very cheap. The old gassers are tanks and, IMO, better built than the new ones and easily rebuildable. All of my kettles are old, ranging from 1974-2000.

Edited by Weber Dude