Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brilliant Glaze eating away at Machine Super Sealant?

KKJ

Question

I know the reason for applying Brilliant Glaze before wax is because it has a solvent in it that eats away at the wax. Does this mean that the Brilliant Glaze is eating away at my Machine Super Sealant too? I want more paint protection than shine, so am I better forgetting about using the Brilliant Glaze and going straight from Sealant to Americana wax? :confused:

Apparently brilliant glaze has a solvent in it that eats away at the wax when it is in the liquid form and applied on top of wax. That is why I was wondering if it has an effect on sealant.

BG eats away at wax? I aays applied brilliant glaze before the wax to make it more durable. The glaze doesnt bond to the paint like a wax, so by putting the wax over the glaze your making the glaze last longer.

So then does the wax not bond as well on top of bg?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

Ok boys....here's the scoop....

You don't put BG on before wax BECAUSE it eats away at it. You put on BG, at WHATEVER time, because it adds KILLER SHINE, and depth to your finish. It also has "mild" fillers in it, to help "hide" small flaws in the clearcoat. The reason it's GOOD to put it under Americana, is to add that depth and rich gloss! With me so far??

NOW. It DOES have some solvents in it, that WILL (over a period of time) slowly diminish the level of protection on your paint, when applied OVER wax OR sealant. But it would take multiple coats to completely do so. Still with me??

BG is great to apply right before a car show, cruise-in, or like mentioned, under WAX. But never apply UNDER (before) sealant, because like mentioned, it won't allow the sealant to bond properly. But you're JUST FINE to apply under wax, because waxes don't "bond" like man-made sealants do, so glaze under wax = GOOD!! Glaze under sealant = no-no.

Good rule of thumb.....?? If you've applied 3-4 coats of BG, OVER your last step protection, then it might not be a bad idea to reapply your LSP. Hope this clears up some of the confusion boys. :D

Edited by Chase@Adams

BG eats away at wax? I aays applied brilliant glaze before the wax to make it more durable. The glaze doesnt bond to the paint like a wax, so by putting the wax over the glaze your making the glaze last longer.

wax doesn't bond to paint, it more or less just sits on top.

Edit: I was beaten to the punch :willy:

Great Info. I know I did my neighbors Black Avenger last weekend. Just a quick wash and touch up. Was out in the sun in the driveway, when they came to pick it up. Was hitting with the BG to make it pop. They could not believe the difference it made when wiping the BG off. Makes it look wet and on fire. Kind of like ALicia Keys song " Girl on Fire"

Love Me Some BG.

Whoa whoa whoa... some completely off the rail terms being tossed around in here.

"Eating away" anything makes BG sound like its got pure acid in it... lets clarify that first.

BG contains a solvent, its part of what keeps the wax particles finely dissolved and in suspension until it evaporates out. Now, understand that the solvent in BG is EXTREEEEEEEEMLY weak. Its pretty much only strong enough to keep the wax content of the product liquid. Try pouring some on your hand and letting it dry... trust me your skin isn't going to be 'eaten away' by it.

Due to the fact that its such a weak solvent it really has almost NO impact on MSS, QS, or any sealant for that matter. It barely has an impact on Americana if you were to top it, but it will degrade it to some small degree.

The primary reason for the application order we recommend is getting the most out of each product when used together.

Sealants perform best when applied directly to paint, also as the most durable product you want it on the bottom. Applying Glaze under Sealant means the sealant won't be able to properly bond with the surface and the durability/longevity is impacted... and whats the point of using a sealant if you're not getting the durability?

Waxes don't so much bond with the surface as they ride along on top... so the layer of BG between the wax and whatever is underneath is less of a concern.

Whoa whoa whoa... some completely off the rail terms being tossed around in here.

"Eating away" anything makes BG sound like its got pure acid in it... lets clarify that first.

BG contains a solvent, its part of what keeps the wax particles finely dissolved and in suspension until it evaporates out. Now, understand that the solvent in BG is EXTREEEEEEEEMLY weak. Its pretty much only strong enough to keep the wax content of the product liquid. Try pouring some on your hand and letting it dry... trust me your skin isn't going to be 'eaten away' by it.

Due to the fact that its such a weak solvent it really has almost NO impact on MSS, QS, or any sealant for that matter. It barely has an impact on Americana if you were to top it, but it will degrade it to some small degree.

The primary reason for the application order we recommend is getting the most out of each product when used together.

Sealants perform best when applied directly to paint, also as the most durable product you want it on the bottom. Applying Glaze under Sealant means the sealant won't be able to properly bond with the surface and the durability/longevity is impacted... and whats the point of using a sealant if you're not getting the durability?

Waxes don't so much bond with the surface as they ride along on top... so the layer of BG between the wax and whatever is underneath is less of a concern.

OOOPS, my Bad! I shouldn't have used my redneck term "eating away". I should have used a word such as will it "degrade" my sealant if brilliant glaze is applied over it. I get it now. From other posts I have read, it sounded like if it was applied over wax, It would basically dissolve the wax, then I got to thinking about my sealant and how that would be affected. Thanks for everyones input!

Ok boys....here's the scoop....

You don't put BG on before wax BECAUSE it eats away at it. You put on BG, at WHATEVER time, because it adds KILLER SHINE, and depth to your finish. It also has "mild" fillers in it, to help "hide" small flaws in the clearcoat. The reason it's GOOD to put it under Americana, is to add that depth and rich gloss! With me so far??

NOW. It DOES have some solvents in it, that WILL (over a period of time) slowly diminish the level of protection on your paint, when applied OVER wax OR sealant. But it would take multiple coats to completely do so. Still with me??

BG is great to apply right before a car show, cruise-in, or like mentioned, under WAX. But never apply UNDER (before) sealant, because like mentioned, it won't allow the sealant to bond properly. But you're JUST FINE to apply under wax, because waxes don't "bond" like man-made sealants do, so glaze under wax = GOOD!! Glaze under sealant = no-no.

Good rule of thumb.....?? If you've applied 3-4 coats of BG, OVER your last step protection, then it might not be a bad idea to reapply your LSP. Hope this clears up some of the confusion boys. :D

Any wait time in between BG and LSP?

I have been doing this my entire detailing "career", get paint perfect, Super "wax" aka Super Sealant, wax, then Glaze

I guess this old detailer can still learn something :o