Customer Service 866.965.0400

DWC on Paint

ForceofWill

Question

Just wanted to make a separate thread on the paint cleaning abilities of the Deep Wheel Cleaner. Another company has had a similar product for a while now and people have used it on paint as a pre-clay decontamination. It will remove things that clay won't. I was excited when Adam's came out with the DWC and decided to give it a try on the Wife's Explorer today and to show everyone how well it works.

I had a bottle of the Brand-X stuff and actually used it on the Boss. The Explorer got full DWC. I can tell you guys that the Adam's DWC works the same if not better on the paint, smells MUCH BETTER, and is significantly cheaper to buy. I paid $33 + shipping for the same size bottle of Brand-X. Needless to say I've ordered a gallon of DWC. I wish they had a 5 gallon of it, I'd buy it.

DWC was sprayed over the entire car POST WASH so the car was already "clean". Then lightly agitated with a damp sponge and allowed to sit for about 5 minutes. DWC was actually allowed to dry on the paint completely on multiple panels and on plastics. I witnessed no ill effects and it rinsed clean with a hose.

Needless to say, I'm a huge fan of this stuff and feel it works excellent.

Now for the pics.

NLV5yRS.jpg

dKFcUwe.jpg

eBnv7P1.jpg

Wre1xjq.jpg

Interesting, so this may be a great product for pre wash cleaning solution for heavily soiled areas, like salt buildup during winter months? Would probably strip all the wax protection off though?

It would really be used POST wash and Pre-Clay before you start polishing. Then lay down your seal/glaze/wax. I wouldn't be doing this step every wash or wax. Pretty much only when you need to clay again and reapply your LSP.

My method for full correction is:

Wash

DWC Car

Rinse

Clay

Rinse

Polish

Seal

Glaze

Wax

?

Profit

Then in between when I don't need to polish but still want to strip and redo LSP:

Wash

DWC Car

Rinse

Clay

Rinse

Seal

Glaze

Wax

:patriot:

A more impressive test would have been to use DWC POST CLAY instead of POST WASH.

This stuff has been around for a while. I wasn't trying to do the whole review. I needed to clean the car and show that DWC is just as good as the competition for paint decontamination even though it's marketed for wheels.

If you don't believe this product works you can YouTube videos done with side by side panel tests with clay of other brand.

A more impressive test would have been to use DWC POST CLAY instead of POST WASH.

Iron decon should always be done after washing and before claying. The idea is to remove all the embedded metallic particles so that claying becomes easier and safer. The test he preformed was exactly the way it should be done although I see what you are saying...

Iron decon should always be done after washing and before claying. The idea is to remove all the embedded metallic particles so that claying becomes easier and safer. The test he preformed was exactly the way it should be done although I see what you are saying...

Gotcha

This is the main reason for buying the DWC. My wheels don't really get all that bad so I doubt I'll use it much on them, but I just ordered a crew cab RAM in WHITE!!! I KNOW this will be necessary to save me claying and polishing time to remove the "rail dust".

I was going to order brand X until a birdie told me that this was on the horizon. SO happy I waited.

Chris

Edited by Chewy

I just used DWC on a white 5th gen Camaro that I did a full correction on this weekend and it cut out a ton of the rail dust all over the rear of the car. Claying to remove some spots was a breeze compared to last year when I did the same vehicle. I will be picking up a gallon of it when this bottle gets a bit lower. First time using it as well! I recommend it.

On the flip side, claying will allow for better penetration of iron decontamination products.

Either way, using clay and an iron removal product both will make the paint pretty clean :)

wow I am way too new at this cleaning detailing. Anyone in my area want to help a guy learn the right way the first time? I think I'll make a thread on this.

watch the Adam's videos. They are pretty good at explaining what to do step-by-step.

Began my multi-day (since I currently lack a garage big enough to work in) process of undoing the damage of winter

Like Chewy, the main reason for buying DWC was not for my wheels but to decontaminate my paint which I was sure had a ton of metallic particles embedded in it, especially on the rear end.

My Process:

Strip: Rinse, Foam with 1:1:1 APC:Shampoo:Water in Gilmour foam gun, two-bucket wash, rinse

Decon: Working in sections of 1-2 panels at a time, I sprayed DWC on the paint and watched all these purple specks start to appear and then "bleed out". After about 5 minutes I simply rinsed the panel thoroughly (once bubbles stopped appearing in the water) - no agitation was needed, and all the particles fell right off. I used about 1/3 of the entire 36oz bottle, which is a lot less than I thought I would. Now I can try this out on something a bit more thrashed to really see the full extent of how well this product works. The smell is nowhere near as offensive as some people say, but I think that's because I didn't need to agitate the cleaner. Few photos:

dwc1.jpg

dwc2.jpg

Clay: MUCH easier (and safer) once the metal particles were out. Also clayed all the glass.

Dry: Used the leaf blower to eliminate standing water, and GW drying towel to take care of the residual.

Polish: The wax held up rather well over the winter, and since I did a full correction last year, all I needed to do was some light maintenance. I used 2:1 Revive:SHR on a white pad on speed 5 (porter cable).

Sealant: Used machine sealant over the whole car. While this was curing I also treated the glass and headlights with Glass Sealant.

Since I was pressed for time, I didn't bother with the wheels, engine, or exhaust, or even dressing the tires and trim. This was all about getting the paint protected ahead of time so from here on out it's just regular washing.