Customer Service 866.965.0400

What was the first car you washed?

CMDChase

I don't know if this topic is a repeat or not. If it is, I apologize, If not, maybe it'll be some fun. The first car I washed was my dad's '59 Ford. I was about 12 years old. The car was an ugly peach color with a puke green interior. Anyway, I got my galvanized bucket, a hose, some Ivory dish liquid and a bunch of old tee shirts my mom used as rags and went to town. Man, was I proud with the job I did.:thumbsup:

When I was about 4 we had a ford pinto wagon (yellow with woodgrain!) and a 64 Corvette convertible. It was probably one of those. The first car I ever really washed on my own, at least as far as I can remember, was probably our family's 77 Chevy Malibu Classic wagon. I would have been around 10 at the time.

I was either 9 or 10 years old and the vehicles were a black 1957 Thunderbird and a red 1962 Corvette. I was only an assistant to washing these, just to be clear, but I consider this my first experience cleaning a vehicle(s). I will always remember that Saturday for sure.

A few years later the 62 Corvette came back into play as the first car I ever drove when I was 12 years old.

Very cool thread idea! Let's keep'em coming.

The earliest I can recall was my aunt's '70 Chevelle and Grandma's '72 Matador at Grandma's farm. She used Ivory Liquid for dishes so that's mot likely what was used. I do know both vehicles got Turtle Wax. This was in '73 or '74.

It was probably 1984 and the car was a '74 Ford Galaxy 500. It was heavily oxidized and partially rusted. It looked like crap and I was tired of it. I put a lot of teenage elbow grease and Turtle Wax polish into that thing and got nothing in return. I vowed that when I owned my own cars they'd never get into that condition.

My mom's land yacht. Same light green body and dark green vinyl roof, but she had the 4 door. I probably used dish soap, but I do remember cleaning the roof with a scrub brush and Comet!

ford-ltd-coupe-02.jpg

Dads restored 73' Nova is the youngest I can remember washing one. Was suppose to be my 16th birthday present but times were hard and had to sell to finish our house when I was growing up. Will have to search some photo albums for pics.

Pops 99 wangler and that thing took forever to wax with the bumpers racks lights and all sorts of offroad crap. It began my hatred for black. Used Meg's until I found Adams!

The first thing I washed that I drove was my old 07' 4x4 TRD offroad Tacoma!

5ame3ahy.jpg

My Dad's 1974 Peugeot @#$%mobile. That thing was red, horribly oxidized. One-bucket wash, dish soap, old sock as wash mitt, dried with natural chamois. No wax.

Later, we had a 1977 Volvo wagon. That is the first car I waxed, probably Turtle wax - do not remember. Then I started washing and waxing neighbors cars. The worst was a neighbor with an old Chevy wagon. He smoked stogies in that thing, and the nicotine was just oozing off the seats, which I cleaned with 409.

Later, we had a 1974 Benz 240D, and that was when I first started using dealer-purchased products like Klasse and things like "#7" chrome polish. That car had a ton of chrome on it.

Great thread!

Good heavens. I'm surprised you're still alive. :lolsmack:

Me too. It was awesome, but somewhat of a POS, when you made really sharp left turns the keys would come out of the ignition and keep going. If you shut it off after it had been driven for a couple hours, it wouldn't start again until it cooled down. - but that turned into a good thing in high school because if I was ever home later than my parents wanted me to be, I jut blamed it on my car. Snow? Not getting out of the driveway. Rain? Was a blast to drive in. The headlights would randomly close. Sunroof after a rain? Find a spot to leave an empty cup for drinking water the next morning....sure everything was a minor fix, but I was young and dumb working my tail off just to pay for insurance. - that was part of the deal with my parents.

But I would love to have another and do a 350 swap

I think it was probably when mom bought a 95 Z28 at the end of 94. I was around 12-13yrs old. I remember taking carboard and cutting it the size of the rim and wrapping it in packaging tape so that when I sprayed the greasy tire dressing on it wouldn't get all over the wheels. I saw some years back that you can buy those now for different size wheels.

11_zpsd0de7b9e.jpg

12_zps8cb5bac9.jpg

Edited by LimitedDodge