Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dylan's Dawn Cleaning Method FTW

IrishCurse

Question

Dylan suggested using regular Dawn (No special moisturizer or other foo foo stuff) for cleaning your Americana, QS, BG, and other applicators. He cautioned that if one was to choose this cleaning method, extensive rinsing would be required.

I chose to clean my BG, Americana, and QS applicators this way. I filled my sink about 1/4 with water and regular Dawn suds and immersed the BG applicator. I cleaned it by continually squeezing it, allowing it to absorb suds, swirling it in the water, etc. I could easily see the water change color as the Dawn cleaned the applicator. I drained the water and rinsed the applicator under the faucet for a couple minutes. I then allowed the sink to fill with clean water about half way and immersed the applicator within the clean water and continually squeezed the applicator allowing clean water to flow through it for about five minutes. I drained the water and placed the applicator on a grit guard for drying. I repeated this process with the other applicators. This process resulted in applicators that looked and performed like I received them straight from Adams. I clean them this way every detail now. Give it a try!

Edited by IrishCurse

I was too and I just couldn't get them thoroughly clean. I was using a ton of APC too. Dawn cleaned them to new condition. I rinsed them like crazy... Probably overkill by X2 but I wanted to be sure and Dylan stressed that.

Everyone knows Dawn is used for stripping paint protection right? The same principle applies to protection applicators, even the substances within the tubes, tubs, jars, or canisters as applicable. It breaks the chemicals, waxes, fats, or polymers down, no matter where in the process it's introduced. I'm only wondering if repeated cleaning with Dawn plays havoc on the glue holding the applicator together. I assume this is why we are advised to only clean our applicators with water no hotter than slightly warm. Hotter water will break down the glue over time.

I just throw mine in the washing machine, have been doing this method fr years without any problems.

They hold they're shape and come out. So clean, not one pad ever came apart,Chen I just let them air dry.

Sounds like a great idea though:)

Kevin

Kevin, I'm not sure if I would put used pads filled with polishe or wax in the washing machine. As it can be Hell on your machine.

Yeah...after a wax job, the applicator can be packed with residue (try squeezing the applicator as you clean it by hand, a load of gunk will come out) - not stuff you want clogging up a machine that costs hundreds of dollars.

I do all my towels and apps by hand.

I Have To Try This! I Cleaned My Applicators yesterday With simple green Let Dry. Will Have To Try Rewashing With Dawn And See What Comes out Of Them.

I just cleaned my polishing pads w/ Dawn and it worked great.  Put some Dawn in a wash bucket and filled w/ water.  Let the pads soak for an hour or so.  Squeeze and wring and squeeze and wring.  Rinse and ring and rinse and wring. 

Worked MUCH better than squirting APC and thumb working.

Great tip.

Glad it worked for you!  I don't let them sit, I agitate and squeeze them over and over so the dawn flows through the foam.  This way, it emulsifies the waxes, etc. within the foam.  All that really matters is that it works!  :)   Just rinse like a mad man!

Its going to be my weekly routine for my Americana apps for sure.  The buttery ones seem to let go really easily and the tire applicators hold product, but how much do we care other than we don't want them to cross contaminate others so keep them separate.  The polishing pads are rigid so I don't know how comfortable I'd be doing it although a couple people have had luck.  I'd have to have one in my hands under water to know for sure.

Right on! I've got some Americana residue on the applicator that wouldn't come off with APC so I'll do the Dawn deed tonight with extra rinsing as instructed. Thanks!

Funny you mentioned that, I just did mine and it did a great job