Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need some Car Show Preparation Advice

Diggerdan11

Question

So in a few weeks I will be taking the Chevelle to a local car show. Normally I spend the day before the show detailing her, and getting her nice and shined up for the Show. Well this year may be a little different, im going to be traveling and may not have as much time to prepare for the show.

So Im looking for some advice on what to do to get her show ready.

Last year I did a full strip wash, Clay, then a pass with FMP, then QS, then some BG, and Americana. I did that on Friday, Saturday was the show and Sunday I put her back under the cover and the she has been in the garage under cover for the last year. 

I know that waxes break down after so many washed, but do they break down when sitting under a cover?

Should I just wash her, and hit her with another coat of of BG and Americana, or will that make the paint cloudy? Will the wax from last year still offer protection? Should I just to a coat of BG to make her pop? or should I do a complete strip, clay, polish, and wax?

Just trying to get some advice, because I may have to detail her this weekend.

Here is a picture of the Chevelle:

IMG_2047.jpg

10 answers to this question

First off nice car.

Wax will not break down on it's on.
Washing, rain, sun, etc will break it down.

But you keep her covered indoors I assume?
If it was me I'd start now , good wash, FMP, Glaze and wax and cover it back up, assuming the paint is flawless.
Then the morning of the show WW and hit it with glaze for that extra pop.
Looks good now:)

Kevin

Edited by MrHot88

First off nice car.

Wax will not break down on its on.

Washing, rain, sun, etc will break it down.

But you keep her covered in doors I assume.

If it was me I'd start now , good wash, FMP, Glaze a d wax and cover it back up, assuming the paint is flawless.

Then the morning of the show WW a d hit it with glaze for that extra pop.

Looks good now;)

What he said ^^^^.. Also bring yourself some extra product Waterless wash/Detail spray/Glass Cleaner bottles and MF's towels with you so when you get there you can juice it up again with some more details spray and clean off the bugs off your windshield and front bumper if you get them. 

Thanks everyone.

My biggest concern about adding another layer of wax, and BG is making the paint cloudy. Im assuming one more coat of American wont hurt, then I guess I can hit it with some BG to make it pop.

And BTW yes I always bring out plenty of WCW, DS, and SVRT to keep the wheels and car shinned up during the day. Last year it raind for teh first time in this shows 25 year history, hopefully that does not happen again. 

Okay, I've done hundreds of shows.  I wouldn't sweat it. If you already have a good base, I wouldn't freak out about getting BG and Americana on her.  If she's clean and dust free, take it to the show, hit it with a good wipedown with Detail Spray, Glass Cleaner, and Undercarriage Spray at the show.  Hit the dash and vinyl with Leather Conditioner, and the tires with a nice coat of VRT and you'll be good to go. I've done that too many times to count and still came home with a trophy.

By the way, I'm a Chevelle guy too.  Had a 69 SS 396 and a 72 SS 454.  Both bought right out of the showroom brand new.  Should have kept one of them at least.  Nice car, and good luck. :thumbsup: