Customer Service 866.965.0400

what works on a boat?

xlr8rvette

Question

9 answers to this question

Any suggestions though, Chris?

Curious whats best to use on the gel coat/fiberglass.  Since it's not a painted finish, but can still get swirly.  My folks have an 07 Four Winns H200.

Gelcoat really likes to have some heat in it to get it really nice.  Most aren't very worried about swirls on gelcoat.  Using a rotary with an orange pad or MF pad will work, but I always used wool and kept it moving.  

Adams products aren't specifically designed for gelcoat, but they'll work.  For very oxidized surfaces, I'd recommend something with a bit more bite, making sure it's gelcoat safe which means it'll say "marine"on it somewhere.  Silicon free is KEY! 

I use MSS on our boat and waverunner and it works GREAT! 

Chris

the new 2 step polishing system and microfiber pads will work perfectly on a boat! but you'll need at least a forced rotation orbital polisher like the Flex 3401vrg or Rupes Bigfoot. if its really oxidized, you'll want a rotary like the Flex PE-14, just keep the pad moving to avoid burn through. gel coats are tougher than a vehicle's clear.

i've used MSS on my pop's 28 ft center console fishing boat that sees both salt and fresh water, and it has lasted quite well!

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

The new polishes and MF pads are VERY capable of removing oxidation on neglected gel coat.  This was a boat I did a few weeks back that was in very rough shape:

191-1_zps685bdcc1.jpg

Very much impressed with what you accomplished here.

Gel coats are difficult go work with, over the years I must have done 25.

Your work here is positive for anyone looking to buy the new polishes and pads.

Kevin

I used some APC in my bilge to clean up some spilled motor oil I was pouring into the trim pump. I'm not sure if the full strength APC caused it, but now the Interlux Perfection Paint in the bilge is peeling up in the area I cleaned. So, try it diluted first and use the least amount needed.