Customer Service 866.965.0400

Reality TV, Car Shows, & The Horrendous Quality of Details

Team Adam's

I find myself less and less interested in watching reality TV shows centered around the car hobby. The last one I was REALLY hooked on was American Hot Rod (RIP Boyd). 

The quality of work done on some of these shows is questionable, at best, and the phony scripted drama feels about as fake as a $3 bill. Shows like Desert Car Kings, Counting Cars, etc all just make me realize how ignorant the general public is about cars. 

For the mostpart Fast N' Loud is a show that seemed not to have those issues... until I saw the finished F40 project.... 

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOLOGRAMS! Someone did a hack-tastic job with a rotary on this thing... guess the team at Gas Monkey Garage isn't any better than the rest when it comes to knowing how to PROPERLY finish a paint job:

post-1228-0-60326400-1372286520_thumb.jpg

Even scarier, is based on this picture the car took home a prize from a show... so not only do the people building them not know any better, but the people judging them don't either. We are a rare breed here my friends... a rare breed indeed. 

Edited by Dylan@Adams

Pass time is a great show. I watch that also. I agree most of these shops are just worried about turning the profit so they "cut cost" when they can. There should be a flawless paintjob on that F40 but unfortunately most people don't care.

While watching the F40 episodes my wife immediately pointed to the TV with a sound of disgust in her voice and said

"Did you see all the swirls in that car! Why would they not fix that if they spent all that money on it?!?!"

All I could do is hold her and give comfort while letting her know everything is okay.

wow, that's terrible.  time to just throw a wrap on it and call it a day, haha.  none of you guys ever seen are you faster than a redneck? loved the episode when the owner of ssp took his gtr down and shocked them.  

Holograms is nothing new to car shows look at all the bad paint seen at the auctions televised on tv!!! Barrett-Jackson,mecum etc etc! It's nothing new. Not sticking up for people but things look good in certain lights but you need the right light to see the oops! Most don't use proper lights!

The DVR is my friend with some of these shows.  I'll watch Pawn Stars and American Restoration, but I FF through all the garbage where they're trying to act and play jokes.  I just want to see the reason for the shows, not all the fodder added in.

Wheeler Dealers I LOVE!!  It's all about the vehicle and very little about the people if any at all.  Leave it to the Brits!  They make GREAT TV IMO.

American Hot Rod was okay, but Boyd was an arrogant *** IMO.  

Chip Foose is actually a kind person.  His dad was as well.  You can tell he's not at ALL the TV personality.  He doesn't look comfy to me.  He's got an eye for design though!  

As bad as this sounds, I don't claim to be the best her locally but here lately I have had to help fix a few body shop screw ups. They just seem to have a lack of caring. Hit the dark color with a compound and a wool pad with a rotary and expect the customer to be satisfied. I know you guys feel the same way I do! I would rather have a happy customer than a satisfied customer! Happy customers bring more business than any form of advertising you can buy.

But on the subject of TV. Yea I own like six of them and never watch any of them lol. I would rather be outside or hanging with my fam than to subject myself to that senseless garbage.

I like the guys from Gas Monkey. I knew from the start of the F40 that there was no way they were doing that car without someone already ready to buy it. Way to much money for their small company to handle (just with parts). Entertaining guys though.

Boyd's shows was certainly more realistic, including alot of his people leaving to go work for Chip when he left Boyd to start his own business. Chip is certainly a very talented man in the automotive industry.

You know, the only show that gets my attention is Wheeler Dealers, because a least it's real-world stuff. I can relate to it.

Wheeeeeeeler Deeeeeealers and Casing Classic Cars, 2 awesome shows.

My two favorite shows on TV! I love the Velocity channel. 

The last car I did for someone was a red Corolla that had just come back from the body shop after accident repair. Holograms all over the hood. The owner of the car didn't have a clue about detailing, but he noticed the buffer trails immediately and knew they weren't supposed to be there. Now, if he could notice them on a red Toyota, I have no idea how the "judges" at the car show didn't notice them on a black F40. Mind-boggling.

1.  I don't watch shows that look like felons are hosts.  No Counting Cars for me.

2.  I was educated a long time ago about how some of the shows you see on TV...the actual shops are hack work.  I won't name names.

3.  Overhaulin is ok for me.  

4.  I started watching some Diesel Modding show with some guys from Alabama a couple weeks back, and lost an afternoon on bad, addicting TV.

5.  Top Gear, even though it's not a build show, seems to be still, the truly only good car show on...Wheeler Dealers is pretty good.

The DVR is my friend with some of these shows.  I'll watch Pawn Stars and American Restoration, but I FF through all the garbage where they're trying to act and play jokes.  I just want to see the reason for the shows, not all the fodder added in.

Wheeler Dealers I LOVE!!  It's all about the vehicle and very little about the people if any at all.  Leave it to the Brits!  They make GREAT TV IMO.

American Hot Rod was okay, but Boyd was an arrogant *** IMO.  

Chip Foose is actually a kind person.  His dad was as well.  You can tell he's not at ALL the TV personality.  He doesn't look comfy to me.  He's got an eye for design though!  

I met Chip several times at the SEMA show, and he always seemed genuinely happy to be there interacting with people. His "handlers" had a hard time keeping him moving because he'd stop and talk with anyone.

I also met Boyd once and he was the total opposite. During his autograph session he'd just sign without really saying anything, and he didn't smile for anyone's picure.