Customer Service 866.965.0400

Total Interior Detailer question on new car

Ace22

Question

I have never been into totally conditioning leather seats on a regular basis as I have not found one that doesn't make it too greasy/oily for me.  So, my process in the past was just to use Meg's quick interior detailer regularly without conditioning.  I never had an issue with cracking, etc. on a previous Audi and the seats looked great still.  Now that my new Audi is here....any thoughts on just maintaining with TID without any conditioner?  Or is this not recommended?  My fear is having conditioner "build-up" or leave a greasy feel to it.  Any thought/input is appreciated.

13 answers to this question

Thanks man, appreciate the info.  I have also read the other posts as well, but it wasn't clear if TID would strip a conditioner (read it had "potential" to, but nothing solid).  Would an occasional maintenance (aka quick wipe down spray) of TID over the conditioner be fine?  With conditioner maintenance every once in a while?  I have an order of conditioner as well as TID for the interior care, as long as the conditioner isn't greasy I will be pleased.

Modern leather does not need conditioning due to the poly coat on it (much like paint has a clear coat). Conditioners do not soak through since they're comprised almost completely of water, which is exactly what the top poly coat is designed to repel - contrary to popular opinion, these coats are not porous.  The remaining ingredients are often plastic softeners, which soften that top poly coat - giving the illusion (and feel) of supple leather.  Hitting your seats with TID is more than adequate.

Edited by Baron_Von_Awesome

Modern leather does not need conditioning due to the poly coat on it (much like paint has a clear coat). Conditioners do not soak through since they're comprised almost completely of water, which is exactly what the top poly coat is designed to repel - contrary to popular opinion, these coats are not porous. The remaining ingredients are often plastic softeners, which soften that top poly coat - giving the illusion (and feel) of supple leather. Hitting your seats with TID is more than adequate.

I didn't know that.

FYI, if your seats are perforated, they WILL soak up the conditioner because the holes are put in after the leather is completed so it's bare leather.  IMO, perforated leather needs conditioned more often than solid leather.  JMO though.

I put the LC on with my fingers and then let it sit for a couple of days before leveling it off with a MF towel.  

LC can be greasy if you put it on really thick, but if you just wipe it on, it's not greasy.  

Chris

If you use Adam's Leather Conditioner, it's not greasy or oily.

I personally would use leather conditioner on the seats and the total interior detailer on the doors and dash.

+1.

Modern leather does not need conditioning due to the poly coat on it (much like paint has a clear coat). Conditioners do not soak through since they're comprised almost completely of water, which is exactly what the top poly coat is designed to repel - contrary to popular opinion, these coats are not porous.  The remaining ingredients are often plastic softeners, which soften that top poly coat - giving the illusion (and feel) of supple leather.  Hitting your seats with TID is more than adequate.

While I can't confirm/deny this, I do know TID doesn't provide the great leather smell that LC does.

FYI, if your seats are perforated, they WILL soak up the conditioner because the holes are put in after the leather is completed so it's bare leather.  IMO, perforated leather needs conditioned more often than solid leather.  JMO though.

Perforated seats are still poly coated.  Take for instance my seats:

CAM00049-e1381731069283.jpg

The perforated areas ARE indeed leather, but are still coated.  The bolsters are just straight up vinyl...no leather to be found.  This is a very common setup on cars these days.  The holes are put in by the tanner, not the auto manufacturer: hides are cut, fatliquored, perforated, polycoated, and finally applied to your cushion. So even if you have perforated seats like above, rest assured they are still coated.  If you perforate them after the seat's construction, the entire purpose of the coating is defeated - if you perforate them before the hide is fatliquored, the holes will become all inconsistent sizes.

+1.

While I can't confirm/deny this, I do know TID doesn't provide the great leather smell that LC does.

This is true - that stuff smells good!

I've used TID exclusvely on my truck from day 1... its actually the vehcile that did the bulk of the product testing while we worked on it. No need to use both, if you want a factory matte finish and only need light cleaning then TID is all you need. It provides protection as well as cleans in one step.

Keep the LIC and LCON for situations where more serious cleaning or conditioning are needed.

I've used TID exclusvely on my truck from day 1... its actually the vehcile that did the bulk of the product testing while we worked on it. No need to use both, if you want a factory matte finish and only need light cleaning then TID is all you need. It provides protection as well as cleans in one step.

Keep the LIC and LCON for situations where more serious cleaning or conditioning are needed.

Thanks Dylan and all the other responses. Since I have them both on order, I plan on just trying TID first, and have conditioner if needed. I know there are different types and grades of leather, and each one responds differently.

For instance, my G8 and Avalanche had more of a pleather feel (aka leather appointed seats) and most of it was vinyl. Current ride feels much more like leather and quality much better.

Will see how it goes and again thanks!

I started with the Leather/Interior Cleaner and Conditioner from new on my truck, and apply the conditioner a couple of times per year. Since the Interior Detailer came out, I use that as a maintenance product since my interior stays pretty clean.

I really like how all of these products work on vinyl and plastic as well as leather and don't seem to build up. I also use them on my leather furniture and various parts of my motorcycle.

I use the leather cleaner and conditioner on my leather seats in my truck , 09 GMC Sierra, and they definitely feel softer and generally cleaner. So I guess I'm a little confused because it was stated that new leather doesn't need the conditioner? I spray the cleaner, scrub, wipe clean and continue for all seats. Once I'm done I go around and apply the conditioner. Am I right or just wasting product and money?