Customer Service 866.965.0400

Pressure Wash Gun vs Foam Wash Gun

Goatluver

Question

I have been on the fence for which style wash gun I should purchase.  The pressure washer gun appears to be the best but how do the regular hose guns compare?  During the bracket racing season I wash the car at least once a week.  Dragging the pressure washer out each and every time I need to wash the car could be a chore if the basic hose gun works sufficient enough.  Is the PW gun is far superior than the hose gun?  Thoughts.

This is what a Foam Gun from a hose will give you:

DSC_0011_zpsf8d0a634.jpg

This is what a Foam Cannon from a Pressure Washer will get you:

IMG_1139_zpsa7b4ba30.jpg

I guess you need to see which is closer to your expectations when it comes to Foam.  The Pressure Washer is a great way to go if the car or truck is absolutely filthy.  The mixture in the Foam Cannon from this shot is 50% Car Shampoo, 50% Waterless Wash.  

In the Foam Gun on the hose, I use 32oz. of Water with 4oz. of Car Shampoo.  The big differences between the two are such that the Cannon's Foam will stick a LOT better than the Gun's Foam.  The Gun's Foam certainly doesn't cling like the Cannon, but it does provide a nice layer of lubrication between the Wash media and the surface of the car or truck.

Well, the PW cannon appears to be the way to go.  After foaming a car using the cannon does it require a wash pad to clean the car or do you just rinse it after the shampoo clings?

Also, what are the benefits of using both the shampoo and waterless wash together?

Edited by Goatluver

Well, the PW cannon appears to be the way to go.  After foaming a car using the cannon does it require a wash pad to clean the car or do you just rinse it after the shampoo clings?

Also, what are the benefits of using both the shampoo and waterless wash together?

You still need to hand wash it after foaming.

Mixing waterless wash in is to soften up water and help prevent water spots - it helps if you have crappy hard water or don't own a CR spotless system.

You still need to hand wash it after foaming.

Mixing waterless wash in is to soften up water and help prevent water spots - it helps if you have crappy hard water or don't own a CR spotless system.

This, also be careful to not add too much waterless wash, or else it will kill the soap's ability to make suds

Just to take this discussion a bit further, you also want to be minful of what kind of car you are foaming.  My general rule works like this: For modern, daily driver type cars I have no reservations using the power washer/cannon combo:

IMG_10751.jpg

For high-end & exotic vehicles that do not have a reputation for being leaky or rust prone, I dial it back a bit and use a hose/foam gun combo:

IMG_1221.jpg

For classics, kits, and other rust prone vehicles, forgo foam altogether and always use a waterless or rinseless wash to avoid any complications:

246.jpg

Edited by Baron_Von_Awesome

To make a point to my neighbors who on occasion wash their car with one single bucket of water (no hose!) I decided to take the foam bath to the next level with a piece of equipment my employer makes. This is a 1% Adams shampoo mixture, believe it or not. Skip to 20s sorry for the long pause at the start.

Edited by colodude18

To make a point to my neighbors who on occasion wash their car with one single bucket of water (no hose!) I decided to take the foam bath to the next level with a piece of equipment my employer makes. This is a 1% Adams shampoo mixture, believe it or not. Skip to 20s sorry for the long pause at the start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg4NrgMhvQk

That is impressive.  1% only with almost snow action out of that sprayer.  :)

That's cool, but you say 1% of product. As for ounces how much are you using for that spray job on this car? If you have say 640 oz. of water (5gal.) in the unit is that 6 or 7 oz. of product? If it is are you using just about it all on this car or is there a lot left?

Thanks for posting.

Oh yea, Does you employer manufacture this in the USA? Maybe Adams should check it out? Just a thought.

Edited by BluedogGMC

I added about half of a small bottle (16oz I believe) to 5 gallons of water (that is the tank contents of the unit). So that would make 8/640 = 1.25%. I probably used less than half of those 5 gallons. Doing two more cars tomorrow :)

The Intelagard Macaw is proudly made in the USA, right here in Colorado. As for using it as a detailing tool, that would only work if you have a very large budget; With the air cylinder it retails at 4,600 bucks! We have close to 10,000 of these units in use by US armed forces for fire suppression and decontamination. Not really a detailing tool, I just felt like doing this because I can ;)

Macaw_zpsbabe777e.jpg

Looks like some neat products your employer makes. Let them know and see if they could come up with something less expensive and maybe made just for the cleaning and car detailing industry.

I'm having some difficulty with the foam cannon and car shampoo. I am using 2-3oz of soap and filling the rest with cold water. I see some here mention to use warm water, would that help with my issue of the foam not clinging to the vehicle long enough? Or is there another mixture that I could try without using a ton of soap?

A 1:10 ratio (say 3 ounces in 32 ounce reservoir) should generate good foam.  Temperature is not a major variable. It may help the soap dissolve in the reservoir but not coming out of the cannon.  If you are having foaming issues, then your foam cannon is probably clogged and not picking up soap property. 

Cold or warm water shouldn't matter much as the water is mixing the soap up anyway.

I'd use 3 oz in the foam cannon, do you use the MTM/uber cannon? What pressure washer are you using?

I'm using the MTM foam cannon with a gas pressure washer 2600psi and 2.3gpm. It seems to foam decently but I do not like the lack of cling from the foam. I was expecting for the foam to be able to dwell a little longer.

Do you have extremely hard Water? When you say it doesn't dwell long, how long are we talking?

There is a video Phil @ Detailers Domain has when he is testing Auto Finesse Avalanche foam (winter foam for pre wash), and after 5 mins dwell time it's basically ready to rinse off.

It's not going to look snow covered for 20 minutes lol. 3-4 oz in the foam cannon then filled with water is fine for Adams Shampoo.

I've also noticed the electric 2000 psi or less washers tend to make better thicker foam with less pressure and slightly less gpm.