Customer Service 866.965.0400

Deep Wheel Cleaner with every wash?

Ricky Bobby

Question

Just wondering do you guys use Deep Wheel Cleaner each time you wash?  I usually "deep clean" only once every couple months or so, and use just my regular soapy mitt/sponge/brushes for the wheels on my normal weekly washes.  My wheels are big enough and spokes wide enough I can easily get to the barrels with mitt as well, so they always come out awesome with a bucket of Car Shampoo.

Sometimes I like to use DWC or equivalent every few months just to get those iron particles that you dont get out with a soapy mitt, but for the most part, I haven't seen the need to DWC my wheels every time I wash my cars.

Thoughts?  It figures that DWC gallons are on backorder right now, and I'm getting ready for some spring cleaning (which will include a nice DWC session obviously after the winter we've had!)

14 answers to this question

I'm the same way you are as I only deep clean the wheels every couple of months. In the mean time I use normally a waterless wash or just the car shampoo in a bucket. The deep wheel cleaner is a really good cleaner and I only like to bring it out when I'm doing a really neglected set of wheels

If you can get the wheels clean with just your car shampoo then there's no reason to waste product by using DWC each time. I do the same as you, I will clean the wheels only as needed with DWC and when they aren't very dirty I will either use Green Wheel Cleaner or just car shampoo. If I'm rinseless washing I just use my pre-soaking solution to clean the wheels after I clean the car. My wheels are sealed with Quick Sealant, so it takes very little effort to clean them. 

I'll only use a heavy cleaner like that every 3rd or 4th wash.  I can see some German car owners for example needing to do it more frequently, though.

Yes!

I wash my Mom's Audi S4 and it NEEDS deep wheel cleaner at least every other wash. The brake dust is horrible on it. 

If you can get the wheels clean with just your car shampoo then there's no reason to waste product by using DWC each time. I do the same as you, I will clean the wheels only as needed with DWC and when they aren't very dirty I will either use Green Wheel Cleaner or just car shampoo. If I'm rinseless washing I just use my pre-soaking solution to clean the wheels after I clean the car. My wheels are sealed with Quick Sealant, so it takes very little effort to clean them. 

Great answers here, and I second them!  Key is, only use a major cleaner when there is major cleaning to do.

I like to use Quick Sealant on the wheels, then just a pressure washer most of the time.

Edited by Adam

I find it is best to clean your wheels as much as you can with just soap and water.  Then clean with DWC.  That way you are using less DWC and you are allowing it to work on just the stubborn stuff because you already removed a majority of the loose contaminants.

Edited by SYMAWD

Like with everything else, products are used on an as-needed basis. Take claying, for example - not something you do every wash, only when the paint feels rough. Same goes for using strong cleaners. If your wheels aren't that dirty, go with shampoo and water. If you have really heavy contamination, go with GWC or DWC. If you are not sure, start with the least aggressive and work your way up until you see the results you want. Personally I only use DWC once a year, after winter.

Thank you guys for just saving me a ton of money!  I have about 2 cars worth of application in a bottle of the "overseas brand" deep wheel cleaner on my shelf, one bottle lasted me a year as I only used it twice.  I will be ordering a bottle of DWC from Adam's on my next order, I was just feeling the waters to see how many are like me, and to gauge my need for a gallon of the Adams DWC.

Based on my use (once in Spring, once in Fall, and maybe once during winter) the 16 oz. DWC bottle will get me through a years worth of cleaning my wife's Toyota Rav4 wheels and my X5's wheels.  I use Car Shampoo in a sudsy bucket with a sponge and mitt to get them clean for all the rest of the year, and obviously would seal them after using a deep cleaner but something like Quick Sealant is so easy to use on wheels once every month or two application in the warm season works great to keep them shiny and protected!

Thanks for the input guys, I was suspecting that I wasn't the only one deep cleaning wheels with every weekly wash!  However, the wheel woolies and the Boulder Blonde brush, those may be some tools I could use weekly on the wheels as well! (already have the Lug nut brush)

Like with everything else, products are used on an as-needed basis. Take claying, for example - not something you do every wash, only when the paint feels rough. Same goes for using strong cleaners. If your wheels aren't that dirty, go with shampoo and water. If you have really heavy contamination, go with GWC or DWC. If you are not sure, start with the least aggressive and work your way up until you see the results you want. Personally I only use DWC once a year, after winter.

Good points Gerry.

I do not have 'euro' brakes on any of my vehicles, so with regular washing diluted GWC is the strongest cleaner I need.  Per Adam's suggestion the dilution is 60% GWC to 40% water.