Customer Service 866.965.0400

Corvette (C7) pads MF or foam?

Z06Seal

Question

Curious if anyone has any experience in polishing a new Stingray (I think we do have couple members here)

I wanted to know if the foam pads worked well for you, or if the MF pads are preferred for the better cutting. I know Corvettes are known for having tough clear coats, so even a new garage queen might need the extra power of the MF pads...

Figured I ask because I'm curious.

Thanks!

With your car being new, I would think that you could get by with the foam, but I always recommend getting the MF Cutting pad just in case.  It saves lots of time over the foam, when it is needed.

With my son;s car I tried several combinations of polishes and foam pads, but could not get the swirls out.  One pass with a MF pad with the same polish and they were gone.

Watching the videos on machine polishing I plan on trying both and see which one or a combination will give the best results. I bought the cyclo several weeks ago, have both pads and have been just waiting for some warm weather to give it a try. Since I live in MN it might be a few weeks yet. I picked up my C7 last October and drove back from the Museum where it went into storage a week later. As everyone can see I am a newbie here, this is my first post so any help before hand will much appreciated.

Thanks

See this thread.

I've found that the microfiber pads work very well to remove the micro scratches that my C7 is highly prone to getting. I think the clear coat is entirely too soft. I didn't have a problem with my C6.

Watching the videos on machine polishing I plan on trying both and see which one or a combination will give the best results. I bought the cyclo several weeks ago, have both pads and have been just waiting for some warm weather to give it a try. Since I live in MN it might be a few weeks yet. I picked up my C7 last October and drove back from the Museum where it went into storage a week later. As everyone can see I am a newbie here, this is my first post so any help before hand will much appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome Dave!

Thanks Michael & Chris

The C7 is is truely an awesome car. I took delivery on October 21st at the museum. On the 22nd I drove the Tail of the Dragon and I swear the C7 was laughing at me saying cmon you can go faster, break later I can handle it. I drove it early on Tuesday moring so very little traffic and I I cannot describe how beautifully the car handled.

Right on Dave and welcome!!   I'm smiling as I type here, wishing I had a C7 to hit our local mountain roads.......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......

Congrats on a great car, and what color is yours?  Our friends have much answered your questions here, and indeed, the new clear on the C7 does come back easier than the C6 did.

Always start with the White Foam Pad and the Paint Finishing Polish, if you are looking good.  If that doesn't do the trick, work your way up to the Orange Foam, and if you still don't see perfection, the Orange Microfiber.  It's all based on the amount of minor surface conditions.

Thanks and again, Welcome!

I was at the autogeek detail fest thus weekend and had the opportunity to test out Rupes and a flex. The rupes operates like the PC apparently. The vibrations were a little strong. I then tried the Flex. I really liked that machine. It might be worth the extra cost. I really wish I could have tried out a PC. I might just buy one from amazon and try it out I guess before I spend 3 times that on a machine I'd use couple times a year.

Do you guys sell backing plates for the flex? I see for the cyclo and PC but no flex?

Emir, you hit the nail on the head, the Flex and Rupes are fantastic machines, if you can afford them and if you will get your ROI on them, at $350 apiece (as well as the Cyclo) that is a price point for a polisher not all are willing to spend.

I have an original PC 7424 since 2005 and it serves all my needs that I could ask for, however it is a bit slow to correct and not quite enough power with the 6" pads I use.  However, after 9 years of using it, it runs like a top.  I actually just bought a set of 4" pads and a 3" backing plate to make it a dedicated small tight area machine, the PC has plenty of power to correct small areas with a small backing plate.

Which leads me to my next point, as a weekend warrior on cars that are well maintained, I only use my machine about 3 times a year at most, so I find it hard to get a 2nd machine for my 6" pads, at a price point of $350.  I also have 8-9 good 6" pads, for cutting, polishing, and MF cutting pads, as well as some waxing pads which I never really use, and for me personally, dropping $350 on a Cyclo and not being able to use my 6" pads wouldn't make the ROI worthwhile for me.  I'm actually considering a used PC 7424XP, used Flex if I could ever find one around $200 or under, or *gasp* buying my Father-in-law's 3rd gen Griot's machine off him since he never uses it.  Do I ever think I'd get the use out of a new Flex or Rupes machine to say it corrects my paint $200 better than a comparable random orbital in the sub -$150 category?  No, probably not.  If I detailed for a living, sure, I would get the ROI from a Rupes or Flex absolutely.

I will mention that I am a big fan of Adam's being a one polisher organization now, and if you literally have NOT A SINGLE PAD OR TOOL to begin with for polishing, the Cyclo is where I'd start, as it's basically two machines in one, you can correct the big areas and the small areas and have only one size of pad.  I just wouldn't want all my good 6" pads to go to waste is all.

Do you guys sell backing plates for the flex? I see for the cyclo and PC but no flex?

I do not believe the smallest Flex backing plate fits the 4" Adam's pads, so they do not carry those backing plates.

Phil at Detailer's Domain - an Adam's Dealer, carries the Flex and the 4 3/8 inch backing plate.  He could probably put together an Adam's polishing kit for you with some of his small pads for tight spaces..  

Emir, you hit the nail on the head, the Flex and Rupes are fantastic machines, if you can afford them and if you will get your ROI on them, at $350 apiece (as well as the Cyclo) that is a price point for a polisher not all are willing to spend.

I have an original PC 7424 since 2005 and it serves all my needs that I could ask for, however it is a bit slow to correct and not quite enough power with the 6" pads I use.  However, after 9 years of using it, it runs like a top.  I actually just bought a set of 4" pads and a 3" backing plate to make it a dedicated small tight area machine, the PC has plenty of power to correct small areas with a small backing plate.

Which leads me to my next point, as a weekend warrior on cars that are well maintained, I only use my machine about 3 times a year at most, so I find it hard to get a 2nd machine for my 6" pads, at a price point of $350.  I also have 8-9 good 6" pads, for cutting, polishing, and MF cutting pads, as well as some waxing pads which I never really use, and for me personally, dropping $350 on a Cyclo and not being able to use my 6" pads wouldn't make the ROI worthwhile for me.  I'm actually considering a used PC 7424XP, used Flex if I could ever find one around $200 or under, or *gasp* buying my Father-in-law's 3rd gen Griot's machine off him since he never uses it.  Do I ever think I'd get the use out of a new Flex or Rupes machine to say it corrects my paint $200 better than a comparable random orbital in the sub -$150 category?  No, probably not.  If I detailed for a living, sure, I would get the ROI from a Rupes or Flex absolutely.

I will mention that I am a big fan of Adam's being a one polisher organization now, and if you literally have NOT A SINGLE PAD OR TOOL to begin with for polishing, the Cyclo is where I'd start, as it's basically two machines in one, you can correct the big areas and the small areas and have only one size of pad.  I just wouldn't want all my good 6" pads to go to waste is all.

Jason,

Thanks for that response. I wouldn't have a problem with the cyclo, but the asymmetrical work is just a little odd to me (i prefer a large circle instead of 2 small circles covering a rectangle like area) I wish I could have tried it at the detail fest.  I also feel little weird about working with two pads instead of 1.

I don't have any older cars, (all new cars) so heavy swirl remover hopefully will never be an issue for me. I suppose I wouldn't need the extra power of a flex, so cyclo would probably do the trick. it looks a little heavy though. anyone can chime in on that? might be PITA working on vertical panels like doors etc

I do not believe the smallest Flex backing plate fits the 4" Adam's pads, so they do not carry those backing plates.

Phil at Detailer's Domain - an Adam's Dealer, carries the Flex and the 4 3/8 inch backing plate.  He could probably put together an Adam's polishing kit for you with some of his small pads for tight spaces..  

Thanks for all your answers lately Mike, I appreciate them.

so what would I need to do to use adam's pads (the larger ones) with the flex? is the 4 3/8 backing plate the one for small pads or large pads?

It's no rush on the buffer yet btw. I think I'll make the purchase in the next few months. I just like gathering the info

Edited by Z06Seal

Thanks for all your answers lately Mike, I appreciate them.

so what would I need to do to use adam's pads (the larger ones) with the flex? is the 4 3/8 backing plate the one for small pads or large pads?

It's no rush on the buffer yet btw. I think I'll make the purchase in the next few months. I just like gathering the info

For the Flex it comes with a 5 3/4 or so backing plate, you use 6.5" (Adam's 7") pads with that.

The 4 3/8" backing plate for Flex is for 5.5" pads, I dont think the machine has a backing plate for using the 4" pads, but I could be wrong.

To answer your questions about the Cyclo, I don't think its any heavier than the Flex, it gives like zero vibrations, and has a nice handle to hold on to.  If your cars are newer and you don't need the off the wall torque of the Flex, and you are committed to spending $350 on 1 machine, I would get the Cyclo if it were me.

But in my opinion for your needs I think you would be happy with a PC or similar sub $150 orbital, you still need to buy pads you know, but if you are set on getting the machine I'd be glad to help you spend money LOL!

For the Flex it comes with a 5 3/4 or so backing plate, you use 6.5" (Adam's 7") pads with that.

The 4 3/8" backing plate for Flex is for 5.5" pads, I dont think the machine has a backing plate for using the 4" pads, but I could be wrong.

To answer your questions about the Cyclo, I don't think its any heavier than the Flex, it gives like zero vibrations, and has a nice handle to hold on to.  If your cars are newer and you don't need the off the wall torque of the Flex, and you are committed to spending $350 on 1 machine, I would get the Cyclo if it were me.

But in my opinion for your needs I think you would be happy with a PC or similar sub $150 orbital, you still need to buy pads you know, but if you are set on getting the machine I'd be glad to help you spend money LOL!

I'm gonna buy a PC soon and try it out from amazon. I will use it on my Volt and see how I like it. It can't hurt. if it's that bad, amazon has a great return policy. and I will take my loss on the large pads... perhaps in the future I can use them or donate to someone.

about 8 years ago I used to work at a car wash in the detailing section. We were a very busy detailing section and did many cars. we had a low speed dual action orbitter that we used with some generic wax I think. I did many many cars every day. obviously not the attention we use. I remember when I first started that machine used to get my arms REALLY itchy. like vibrated the blood in my veins LOL :D I eventually got used to it though. it was a heavy machine and we applied no pressure with it. it's own weight did the magic....

I suppose the PC will be a similar experience on vibrations. except I won't use it enough to get used to the vibrations and will have itchy arms LOL

at 150 bucks with the backing plate, I think it will be worth a shot. if not, I can get 120 of it back. lol

I suppose the PC will be a similar experience on vibrations. except I won't use it enough to get used to the vibrations and will have itchy arms LOL

I have don't have a problem with that, but some use padded palm work gloves (e.g. Mechanix Impact Pro). 

Hi Emir,

Funny you should ask. I'm in the process of completing a detail on my black C 7 which I picked up from the dealer last Friday. My instructions to the dealer were don't touch the car. I drove home and started working early the next morning. The car was dirty, had two large sap drops and water spots everywhere. I washed and clayed the entire car at Adams suggestion. I'm glad I did. Next I used the Finishing Polish with the white foam pad. I always like to go less aggressive to more aggressive if needed. The Finishing Polish and white pad worked great. The second step was Brilliant Glaze followed by a coat of Patriot Wax. I know Patriot Wax is expensive, but after using it the very first time I decided it was a bargain considering the incredible results. I will post pics as soon as I learn ( I know you're laughing Adam) how to do that. Yesterday I polished the chrome wheels. I removed the polish, gave it a shot of Detail Spray to remove any remaining polish residue and followed that with a coat of Brilliant Glaze. The results are stunning.Tomorrow I'll do  the red interior. All the best with your new Corvette Emir.

Richard Kashinsky

Distributor and East Coast Detail Clinic Instructor

336 408 4433

richardk@skybest.com

Richard@adamspolishes.com

Hi Emir,

Funny you should ask. I'm in the process of completing a detail on my black C 7 which I picked up from the dealer last Friday. My instructions to the dealer were don't touch the car. I drove home and started working early the next morning. The car was dirty, had two large sap drops and water spots everywhere. I washed and clayed the entire car at Adams suggestion. I'm glad I did. Next I used the Finishing Polish with the white foam pad. I always like to go less aggressive to more aggressive if needed. The Finishing Polish and white pad worked great. The second step was Brilliant Glaze followed by a coat of Patriot Wax. I know Patriot Wax is expensive, but after using it the very first time I decided it was a bargain considering the incredible results. I will post pics as soon as I learn ( I know you're laughing Adam) how to do that. Yesterday I polished the chrome wheels. I removed the polish, gave it a shot of Detail Spray to remove any remaining polish residue and followed that with a coat of Brilliant Glaze. The results are stunning.Tomorrow I'll do  the red interior. All the best with your new Corvette Emir.

Richard Kashinsky

Distributor and East Coast Detail Clinic Instructor

336 408 4433

richardk@skybest.com

Richard@adamspolishes.com

Bringing an old topic back up, but I feel like an update is due lol...

Well finally ordered the car. Was supposed to come off the assembly line today (2/19) but the plant was closed down due to weather past few days so my car has been pushed forward to next week unfortunately. Oh well no worries. It's a red exterior with carbon flash trims (and black wheels)

I just ordered a ton of stuff (new car shampoo, all purpose cleaner, clay bar, brilliant glaze, buttery wax along with applicators) Going to order white paint finishing polish and 3 sets of white foam pads. Hopefully it will do the job. I really don't want to do a 2 step process with the orange. I'm holding off on ordering the polish until the car comes in (probably 3 weeks) so I can make sure the car's swirls aren't too bad. I will instruct dealer not to wash the car... I'll take care of it myself. oh and I'll be ordering a Porter Cable. 

This will be a garaged weekend warrior, so I hope once a year for polishing is enough.

Congrats on your new vette! Mine has a tpw of 3/16 and I can't wait. Go ahead and get the cyclo you'll be glad you did. I bought mine in late November and have used it on 3 vehicles so far. It's worth the money. None of the vehicles were new but when I finished them the paint looked like new. I did 2 Ford Excursions and that gave me a lot of time with the cyclo and it is an amazing machine. Your Vette will love you for it :) Do what I did and practice on other vehicles first, that way the vette will get the benefits of your experience. Good luck with the vette.

Congrats on your new vette! Mine has a tpw of 3/16 and I can't wait. Go ahead and get the cyclo you'll be glad you did. I bought mine in late November and have used it on 3 vehicles so far. It's worth the money. None of the vehicles were new but when I finished them the paint looked like new. I did 2 Ford Excursions and that gave me a lot of time with the cyclo and it is an amazing machine. Your Vette will love you for it :) Do what I did and practice on other vehicles first, that way the vette will get the benefits of your experience. Good luck with the vette.

Bad Habit, I actually ended up getting a porter cable today. I'm surprised the build quality isn't bad... I tried it out on a small area on my glass and it felt pretty good. I can see myself working this thing for a little while. for the once a year polishing (maybe few cars a year) I think this will do. If it doesn't, I will make it a dedicated 4 inch machine and get a flex I think :)

It will probably do exactly what you want it to. I have a tendency to go overboard! Good luck with the pc and the vette!

LOL! I just ordered the flex too. I"m going to see if I prefer it that much over the PC and will decide what I want to keep.

I also learned I need deep wheel cleaner, at least gallon of all purpose and the rinseless wash is a great multi use product!