Customer Service 866.965.0400

Techniques of the working by hand

Rains

Question

This question is mainly directed to those that have been doing this hobby for at least 10 years or better. Either professionally for a paycheck or in your driveway every weekend. I've been detailing cars now for several years as a enthusiast every weekend on my own cars. I now have been starting to branch out a little and doing some detailing for profit. (friends, neighbors etc....)

On to my question, my shoulder and wrist are starting to show some signs of neglect from "wax on and wax off" over the last several years. I wonder sometimes how often my body will let me enjoy this hobby to the level I'm involved. What are some techniques some of use experienced detailers save your wrist and shoulder by working by hand. Avoiding Carpal Tunnel sx is priority!!! lol. Obviously working by DA is the answer, but sometimes working by hand on some cars is just needed.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

12 answers to this question

Advil and Aleve.  I hate using machines, so I've always done it by hand. There's no shortcuts or different ways to do it.  When I start hurting, I take a break, and take a couple aspirin.  That's about all you can do. Sorry bud, no magic formulas.

I get that some people just like to hand wax and polish, but the Cyclo is really hard to beat. What's not to like about better results, faster. I still do a final wipe and inspection by hand, but I let machine do the hard part. And I still have to take Aleve.

Bruce

Unless your hands can move as fast as a PC or Flex, you can never obtain the scratch removal needed for perfection like a machine can. For $300.00, get a PC, some pads, a two step paint correction system, glaze and some buttery  wax, and you will wonder what the heck was I thinking all those years !!!! Abiut the same money you've spent on asprin !!!!!! :pc7424:  

I wanted to reply when you first posted about your truck. You can make your truck reflect but I think you need a machine. I  put off replying then because I already had the paint correcting polish, paint finishing polish and liquid paint sealant, and the new micro pads. I couldn't try because of the weather. I've tried now and it works very good. I have been using a flex. I have used a cyclo and it would work the same. If you are going to make some money doing this you need a machine or as rich said a lot of aleve. I also have a platinum oxford white and a Malibu white.

I wanted to reply when you first posted about your truck. You can make your truck reflect but I think you need a machine. I  put off replying then because I already had the paint correcting polish, paint finishing polish and liquid paint sealant, and the new micro pads. I couldn't try because of the weather. I've tried now and it works very good. I have been using a flex. I have used a cyclo and it would work the same. If you are going to make some money doing this you need a machine or as rich said a lot of aleve. I also have a platinum oxford white and a Malibu white.

I have a PC and just ordered the 2 step a few days ago with micro pads. I do use my PC alot for the reason of saving my body, but as we all know theres some jobs that just require you to do by hand. Tights spaces etc...Im anxious to put the two step system on my truck hopefully this weekend. Im hoping to get a dripping wet look!! Cant beat a Platinum!

I used to do everything by hand.  After watching, reading and seeing photos of what a machine was capable, I was sold.  The last 2-3 years I have been maintaining my personal cars, my parents and my brothers.  The investment I made into the PC was well worth it.  I got my moneys worth.  The only time I do things by hand are those hard to reach areas where I can not get the PC.  The PC also cut my time in half then doing it by hand. 

There is so much time spent using your hands on a detail that you can't avoid; washing, drying, claying, scrubbing wheels, tire dressing, window cleaning, etc.  At the very least leave paint correction, sealing, glazing to the machines!  I still like to apply Americana by hand; but it is effortless.

Stretch before and after.  There are plenty of stretches and exercises on the internet to assist you in keeping fresh.  Ice helps me also.  I stay away from any pills save for Aleve every now and again when I have to.

Staying hydrated also helps your joints.

Mook covered just about everything.  The only other thing I do when I start to hurt too much is take a short break.  Even a 5 or 10 minute break now and again can make a big difference.  Would love a machine myself, but just not in the cards, at least not now.