Customer Service 866.965.0400

Got a flat black harley. suggestions for the showroom look?

Z06Seal

Question

Just picked up a 2010 Harley Davidson 883 Iron. It's their black denim which is a flat black. The bike is in excellent condition, except some dust from sitting at the dealer... couple scratches from boots rubbing on the paint here and there by the peg area. nothing crazy. the bike has very small amount of chrome.

I was curious what products will help me keep this bike look like new? Until my new corvette comes in, this will be my 'spend time with' vehicle. Being flat black, I suppose that's a nogo on any wax or polish products. 

I suppose only things like rinseless wash and quick detail?

There are very few areas that have shiny black (like the front forts and few other spots) that can use some gloss to it. exhaust is chrome, and I will keep it shiny for now, but eventually plan on blacking those out too. 

I'm picking it up tomorrow, but in the meantime, here are some quick pics from the dealer. I will have MUCH better pics this week I hope!

12D16A63-15BD-4410-9DAB-DE11B0B00E3C_2.j

12D16A63-15BD-4410-9DAB-DE11B0B00E3C_5.j12D16A63-15BD-4410-9DAB-DE11B0B00E3C_7.j

12D16A63-15BD-4410-9DAB-DE11B0B00E3C_8.j

12D16A63-15BD-4410-9DAB-DE11B0B00E3C_16.12D16A63-15BD-4410-9DAB-DE11B0B00E3C_20.12D16A63-15BD-4410-9DAB-DE11B0B00E3C_21.12D16A63-15BD-4410-9DAB-DE11B0B00E3C_22.12D16A63-15BD-4410-9DAB-DE11B0B00E3C_23.12D16A63-15BD-4410-9DAB-DE11B0B00E3C_27.12D16A63-15BD-4410-9DAB-DE11B0B00E3C_28.12D16A63-15BD-4410-9DAB-DE11B0B00E3C_29.

12 answers to this question

My friend Justin at Swan Creek Auto Care in NJ has a Matte Black Bike...here is a snippet on his advice...

Justin@SwanCreek said

Flat matte paint is all together a separate beast within itself when compared to a single or two stage paint job. 

Why do I say this? Because their is no margin for error when dealing with flat matte paint. They tend to be temperamental with detailing products, and the use of any waxes, polishes, or polymers will send you to a paint shop right away. 

So let me start out with the don'ts:
- don't wash in the sun!!!
- don't clay bar
- don't wax or glaze
- don't polish by hand or machine, no matter what the cut is (this includes revive) 
- don't wipe down with any type of quick detailing spray
- don't use cheap micro fiber towels 

The reason why you do not want to use any of these steps or products on a flat matte paint, is because it will add a slight luster to the finish. This luster will ruin the flat mattes appearance, and the end results will send you to a paint shop for correction (new paint). Also, cheap micro fiber towels can scratch the finish... And as I have previously stated, you never use hand or machine polishing on flat mattepaints. Therefore if you do scratch the finish with a cheap micro fiber towel, you will be in need of a reprint. 

Now let me move onto the do's:
- when you wash the flat matte paint, ensure the vehicle is cool to the touch and that you are in a completely shaded area.
- do use waterless wash for wipe downs 

The reason why you want to be in a completely shaded area and have the paint cool to the touch, is to prevent any risk of hard water spots. I recommend having your water tested to ensure you do not have hard water before completing a wash. Hard water and flat mattepaint does not mix well! Once you have hard water spots on a flat matte paint, the options for correction are extremely limited. Note: make sure you move quick while washing, and dry immediately! 

So what do you do if you get hard water spots? Take action quick, use some of Adams glass cleaner with a single soft towel and gently wipe down the effected areas. Refrain from using any type of polishes! 

And when it come to scratches on flat matte paint, you are limited to only one option... Repaint

I personally own a flat black motorcycle, and when I have to clean it... I only use waterless wash. I never let it get to the point where I need to take a hose to it. The reason for this, is because I do not want to risk hard water spots (as I have hard water). 

If you have any questions, or if I have missed anything feel free to ask! 

Thanks, 
Justin

Here you go. Already did this thread for you.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/23074-motorcycle-detail-flat-paint-question/

When I did my detail of this I only used Waterless Wash a panel at a time... That way there was no chance of water spots. Just remember one thing when washing it. You cant polish it! Water etching will forever be there.

Edited by Kingsford

Thanks guys....

I do remember reading that the adam's rinseless wash does have some 'wax' like chemical in it to add protection IIRC...

so I'm not sure if I want to use that on it.

that being said, I'm the second owner and I'm sure here and there there was some type of chemical touched the paint that shouldn't have.

sucks about the small scratches. Guess I'll have to live with the little scratches from boots by the pegs

Here you go. Already did this thread for you.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/23074-motorcycle-detail-flat-paint-question/

When I did my detail of this I only used Waterless Wash a panel at a time... That way there was no chance of water spots. Just remember one thing when washing it. You cant polish it! Water etching will forever be there.

This thread, people are saying use paint sealant and clay bar... and Justin from swan says, nothing should touch it except waterless wash.

flat black isn't smooth like glossy paint to begin with, taking a clay bar would probably be a bad idea...

I didn't say do exactly what everyone said I said I already made this thread. 

Do what Justin says. 

No Clay. No soap. No Polishing.

I didn't say you said to do this, I meant that's what people are saying to do :)

Makes me wonder how 303 would work to give it some protection. there is 0 shine to it, and it's a UV protectant. I use it on dash of my cars. big fan of it...

Edited by Z06Seal

That's such a cute little Sportster.  Is it your first bike?  Are you a smaller framed guy?  Reason I ask is because at 5'7" the bike felt small to me, the added weight and power of the Nightster was much better, big fan of Harley's 1200 powerplant (used to own a Buell with same engine).  Now I have a Triumph Thunderbird 1700 so that is another story.

As far as flat black goes, I had a flat black helmet once, and actually, glass cleaner works best on flat black in my experience if you have bugs or some cleaning that waterless wash wouldn't catch.

WW or GC work best on matte finishes, and on a bike, those should be more than enough since you don't have much surface area to care for when compared to a car or truck.  No real need for a full soap and water wash in most cases.

As mentioned:

• No Clay
  • No Polish
  • No Glaze
  • No Wax

You can experiment with Quick Sealant if you'd like to give it some protection, but there's a chance it will add some gloss to it. Test at your own risk, and definitely in an inconspicuous area and see what you think.

Rick. It's not my first bike. Actually 4th. I'm coming from sports bikes from few years ago. As far as cute little sportster goes... well its fine for me. I wouldn't call it cute, but like an asshole, everyone has an opinion :). So you're entitled to yours. Troupmh 1700 is a nice bike, but I wouldn't own it. Never really liked triumphs. Rather a night rod. I'm not looking for a bigger bike unless it's a night rod. This is exactly what I wanted in this price range. I'm very happy with it. Maybe I'll do the 12000 upgrade one day, but by then I'll probably just get a night rod lol

I'm 6 2 and 200 lbs. I've been told it would be too small, but I'm very happy with it. Who knows maybe it looks like um riding a clown bike lol. I don't care about power for it. I have other vehicles for going fast. I just enjoy the harley rumble

Don't you think for your frame that triumph 1700 is too big? I've only seen pictures, never in person. I think that bike is too big for you.

Edited by Z06Seal

This belongs in another thread and I probably shouldnt have used the word "cute" because obviously it offended you, I apologize.

What I meant was more along the lines of "zippy", it looks like a fun bike actually!  If I lived in a city prone area with a lot of stop and go and wanted something more nimble than my Tbird, a cruiser/standard that size would be much better to manuever and get around in.

I wholeheartedly agree on the Night Rod (is that what they call the Nightster nowadays?  I'm not up on my Harley lingo), and I've ridden sportbikes prior to my Tbird for years prior.  Enjoy the Iron for sure, for the money its a good value, I'm not really a Harley guy at all, and with the smaller displacement I hope the riding position is a bit more neutral for better "feel of the road".

The Triumph Rocket is the one that is way too big for me, the Tbird actually fits well and if you look at riding reviews etc, the Thunderbird platform is advertised as Triumph's most versatile cruiser for rider differences, there are guys on the Triumph forum at 5'3" (although I think that is stretching it) and some guys at 6'5", its really amazing actually, none of my sportbikes were ever that versatile as far as comfort for taller/medium/short people.  The only thing I did was rotate the handlebars to horizontal (the dealer sets up the bike for a 6'0" guy so the bars are rotated higher than parallel), and other than that no other modification needed and I flat foot easily with the lower seat height of the Bird.

My only gripe on my Tbird is the forward controls (I don't get as much COG feel and cant grip the tank as well with my legs) since I come from years of sportbikes, but that's the price you pay with cruisers, and no one makes relocation kits for mid-mount controls.  I'm probably the only guy on the forums who wants them, everyone else is installing highway footboards lol!

Again I apologize if you think I'm an asshole, but I do see a place for smaller displacement, cute/fun/zippy bikes, hell the best bike I ever owned was my SV650, with 72 hp and 47 lb ft, sure it wasn't as fast as my buddie's Gixxers, but it was a ton more fun to ride!  I only wanted to know if you were smaller framed/first bike and the type of riding you do because when I sat on the Iron I just couldn't figure out, with the standard controls did it want to be a cruiser or a sportbike?  Plus Harley markets the bike HEAVILY to new riders with the price point, power, and frame etc (I've even seen them holding rider education classes using the Iron 883 and encouraging only women in the class as they are trying to gain more women buyers/riders).  It is definitely light compared to my Tbird, but when I was riding an SV1000S it felt heavy.  The look is great, that's for sure.

The main part is you like it and enjoy it, and lets calm down with the sensitivity here, jeez you guys can be really analytical.

Edited by Ricky Bobby