Customer Service 866.965.0400

Road Tar

ICE515

Question

Hey Everyone,

So with the cold weather this winter the mighty road repair trucks are out in full force. Sadly my 2012 Camaro has road tar on the front driver side corner panel. Due to the weather today no picture to upload, will post tomorrow when I can get out there. Any Adam's products that can drier move tar safely from the paint? Clay bar, all purpose, car shampoo?

Thanks in advance

Ice

20 answers to this question

Since Adam's doesn't make one, I'll post what I use, and it is bought from an Adam's Distributor, Phil @ Detailers Domain

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Stoner-Tarminator_p_550.html

Literally will melt the tar down to nothing and do no harm to your paint in the process.

I had that happen to the inside barrels of my wheels when using DWC on my first spring wash, there were several tar spots on the wheels the DWC wouldn't touch, a spray of Tarminator and a slight agitation with fingers/brush and it was gone.

Thanks for the info! I'll try my hand at a few of hone options above. My cyclo is being delivered tomorrow so a full detail of the car will be coming up soon. I'll be sure to post.

Care to elaborate on how clay could possibly be safer than a tar remover?

You're not spraying a chemical onto the clear coat...

If it's strong enough to eat away tar, its probably eating away at more than that.

Also Bug and Tar Remover doesn't always get everything off.

Edited by Kingsford

You're not spraying a chemical onto the clear coat...

If it's strong enough to eat away tar, its probably eating away at more than that.

Also Bug and Tar Remover doesn't always get everything off.

If quality tar removers were doing damage to clear coat, I assure you they wouldnt have lasted long on the market ;)

Just the simple fact that you will ruin a $20 clay bar in a single use of removing tar when a $6 product could accomplish the same result and be used multiple times is enough reasoning for me. 

As always, to each is own and either method will work without too much trouble.

If quality tar removers were doing damage to clear coat, I assure you they wouldnt have lasted long on the market ;)

Just the simple fact that you will ruin a $20 clay bar in a single use of removing tar when a $6 product could accomplish the same result and be used multiple times is enough reasoning for me.

As always, to each is own and either method will work without too much trouble.

I only use a piece of a clay bar once anyways and then it's demoted to wheel use only then thrown out.

$6 Tarminator = cheaper and easier than wasting $20 clay and a few oz of $30 / gallon APC

If its a good enough product for the professional detailers why not use it, I don't know why you'd risk claying tar and inflicting more damage by rubbing it against the paint/tar-stuck area

Don't understand why this has turned into an argument and everyone is so defensive in their ways. The question was what can remove Tar.... Both a Clay Bar and Bug and Tar Remover were the answers. They both work. Some people prefer one over the other. 

Sorry I prefer to Clay because from my experiences with Bug and Tar Removers they didn't work well for me.

Ether way you are rubbing debris against the paint and will ultimately result in paint correction in the end.

If this is just going to be an argument about why one is better than the other, when both of them are reasonable answers and both work, I think it's time the thread be closed.

Since Adam's doesn't make one, I'll post what I use, and it is bought from an Adam's Distributor, Phil @ Detailers Domain

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Stoner-Tarminator_p_550.html

Literally will melt the tar down to nothing and do no harm to your paint in the process.

I had that happen to the inside barrels of my wheels when using DWC on my first spring wash, there were several tar spots on the wheels the DWC wouldn't touch, a spray of Tarminator and a slight agitation with fingers/brush and it was gone.

I agree. I love how quick and easy tar removing is with this product.