Customer Service 866.965.0400

Should I detail my car or have it professionally done?

nj2012

Question

I just bought a used chevy tahoe (BLACK). Whenever I wash it there is water spots everywhere, whenever it rains you see water drops mark all over the car. 

I'm guessing its time for a detail?

I have a kit from Adams polishes but I have no idea in what order to use it in. I have the rotary buffer?

23 answers to this question

nj2012

Correct order:

1. Wash

2. Clay the paint

Depending on the condition of your paint

3. Paint correcting polish (lots of swirls, scratches, oxidation) or

4. Paint finishing polish (minor defects)

If you use the correcting polish follow that with the finishing polish.

5. Protection Liquid paint sealant or Americana

I have the porter cable but recently tried like the cyclo and liked it. What orbital tool do you have? It sounds like you have hard water if there are spots after washing. You can try misting the car down with Adams detail spray and then drying it with a great white towel. This may lessen the water spots.

nj2012

Correct order:

1. Wash

2. Clay the paint

Depending on the condition of your paint

3. Paint correcting polish (lots of swirls, scratches, oxidation) or

4. Paint finishing polish (minor defects)

If you use the correcting polish follow that with the finishing polish.

5. Protection Liquid paint sealant or Americana

I have the porter cable but recently tried like the cyclo and liked it. What orbital tool do you have? It sounds like you have hard water if there are spots after washing. You can try misting the car down with Adams detail spray and then drying it with a great white towel. This may lessen the water spots.

Thank you, I have the PORTER-CABLE 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Polisher, and all the pads + liquid from adams. I bought as a kit couple of years ago and only used it couple of times (Busy life). 

The porter cable is a good machine, if you are keeping it as a one machine for the whole vehicle setup, I recommend getting the 3" backing plate and the 4" pads from Adams for correcting bumpers, polishing glass, doing the pillars, and getting into the tight spots.

If you are adding a machine to your regimen I would recommend a Flex so you could use your current 6" pad setup, and make the porter cable a dedicated 4" pad machine.

Thank you, I have the PORTER-CABLE 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Polisher, and all the pads + liquid from adams. I bought as a kit couple of years ago and only used it couple of times (Busy life). 

If you have all the stuff, I'm not sure why there's any question about whether to do it yourself.  I, too, am very busy but I always make time to detail my cars myself.  I trust (almost) no one else to touch them.

As others have said, Adam's Videos do a great job of demonstrating each step (and associated products) of the detailing process.  FWIW, I summarized the steps (and associated products) I use for another black vehicle owner here.  Depending on the condition of your Tahoe's paint, you may need to add Step 4.5 to polish with Paint Correcting Polish on an Orange Pad.

With the money youll spend on having someone else do it, you could spend that on products to detail your car(s) for months to come. You have a HUGE headstart having a porter cable with the pads and already having product on hand.

your post is empty.

Grrrr, darn Ubuntu!!!

You have already replied to what I was going to post, but since you have a black vehicle i would suggest adding the Adam's MF Cutting Pad to your stash (at least 2).  It cuts much faster than the Orange foam cutting pad.  As your kit is several years old, you may also want to look upgrading to the new polishes.  The older polishes will work, but the new stuff can allow you work faster.

I've had the same problems with my truck. Water spots... water spots and more water spots...

Use a DA Polisher, you're choice. I use a Flex 3401VRG. Heard great things about the Cyclo but haven't had a chance to try it. It takes time to get the water spots out, especially with black. After you're happy with what you've done, seal it! Then seal it again. It'll help keep the water spots away. Also, don't wash in the sun it will cause water spots since black paint heats up faster than most other colors. Make sure the engine is cool when you wash it also this will keep the hood from getting water spots. I take a DA Polisher to my truck usually 2-3 times a year for all my panels except the hood and roof, flat panels facing upwards tend to get worse water spots because the water can sit in one spot and not move especially with Daily Drivers... I usually do my hood and roof 5-8 times a year depending on how bad the water spots are.

I agree with the other posters.  Do it yourself.  I did my first ever 5 step detail using Adams polishes and Porter Cable DA over 1 year ago.  It was my 1st time really doing that thorough of a paint correction.  One year later and I am using the Rupes 21 - talk about smooth.  The PC now sports the 4" pads.  You just need to be Methodical.

Edited by Methodical

I was fortunate enough to have the best of both worlds during my first 'real' attempt. An Adams detailer let me "help" him detail my car. It was really an invaluable experience as he was able to coach me on some of the things you can't really learn from a video (despite how good they are): how much pressure to apply, how fast to move when making a pass, how long to work the polish, etc. I hang out as his shop a good bit and enjoy just watching/continuing to learn and lending a hand if he has a lot going on. Doesn't hurt that he's an Adam's dealer too so I usually end up with some product in my trunk when I leave. :)