Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brinkman tuff max

Fit08

Question

18 answers to this question

Swirls are no match for Adam's products....... :)

While this may true the Brinkman shows me I need much more practice/patience or maybe some voodoo spirit action to get our DD to a much better level of correction. In the garage you think, man this looks perfect only to find out now with the Brinkman you missed the mark.

Kind of depressing really.

My orange hides a lot of marks. They are even hard to see in the sun and almost impossible to get rid of because I can't see them.  I have some straight lines but not many swirls.  I just ordered a light to see if that helps.  The larger ones i have weren't much help at all. 

Ahhh, the "truth" light!  

Is this something a beginner should have?

It is a good thing to have.  It is a ultra portable version of a set of halogen lights, which are very useful when doing corrects.  Looking at your work in the sun is a great test, but it does not always cooperate!   

Is this something a beginner should have?

You should always have a good work light to inspect your work as you go.  At the minimum something like this to highlight the areas you are correcting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000lm-Ultrafire-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Zoomable-Battery-Charger-/261461431992?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item3ce050d6b8

Any other suggestions? I want what i need to get better

A inexpensive work light on a stand will work fine.  I have one like this - http://www.lowes.com/pd_458094-49296-FU2402-2_0__?productId=50056887&Ntt=work+light&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dwork%2Blight&facetInfo= with 2 lights.  And get some extra bulbs!  Some folks are switching from halogen to LED lights, but I have not used one yet, so I cannot speak to how well they work for viewing imperfections.  

Here is an example of how to use them.  This is a 50/50 shot of a corrected panel.  The section in the middle was taped, then the sides polishes (I think I was testing 2 polish/pad combinations).  I removed the tape and took the picture.  You can see the clarity of the paint on the left side, the swirls in the middle, and some slight marring remaining on the right.

58017547-6dff-4526-a318-e02a9d70d747_zps

this is the "after" shot

Amercainhood012_zps8cb1eb3f.jpg

A inexpensive work light on a stand will work fine.  I have one like this - http://www.lowes.com/pd_458094-49296-FU2402-2_0__?productId=50056887&Ntt=work+light&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dwork%2Blight&facetInfo= with 2 lights.  And get some extra bulbs!  Some folks are switching from halogen to LED lights, but I have not used one yet, so I cannot speak to how well they work for viewing imperfections.  

Here is an example of how to use them.  This is a 50/50 shot of a corrected panel.  The section in the middle was taped, then the sides polishes (I think I was testing 2 polish/pad combinations).  I removed the tape and took the picture.  You can see the clarity of the paint on the left side, the swirls in the middle, and some slight marring remaining on the right.

58017547-6dff-4526-a318-e02a9d70d747_zps

this is the "after" shot

Amercainhood012_zps8cb1eb3f.jpg

While I do use the same lighting with white it becomes very tough hence the Brinkman, however it too is real bright and I've not yet play with the brinkman to find a good angle. I have however for the sides of the white car found that a floor halogen and a "look" down the side almost pararel works much better thus far.

While I do use the same lighting with white it becomes very tough hence the Brinkman, however it too is real bright and I've not yet play with the brinkman to find a good angle. I have however for the sides of the white car found that a floor halogen and a "look" down the side almost pararel works much better thus far.

Yes, white cars are much more difficult to capture the images.  I did my son's GF white car and I had to get almost even with the trunk to get the shot.  And the white car looked yellow in the halogens! 

If you're asking if the halogen worklights can be retrofitted with LED bulbs the answer is no as far as I can tell, I researched a bit and found that you can get full LED assemblies from Home Depot, Lowe's etc branded as Husky or Utilitech for $35 for an 800 lumen unit, $80 for a 1720 lumen unit, and $100 for a 2000 lumen unit. 

I actually just bought a swirl finder off ebay for $15, little handheld torch with a Cree XML-T6 LED bulb and its DAMN bright.  With my overhead T8 x4 bulbs in the garage and the swirl finder I could definitely work at night in the garage on my detailing and see all that I need to.

I have the small LED light from lowes and also LED brinkmann. I like LED much better especially working in the garage on a hot summers day. I have seen on another forum of guys making their own LED light set-up.