Customer Service 866.965.0400

Glass Sealant - too much?

adam123nyc

Question

Attempted to apply the glass sealant.  Used the clay bar and then applied with a microfiber applicator.  I tried to apply as little as possible but i didnt really see it going on so i could not really gauge how much i was using.  Now,  when i use the wipers i have some streaking?  how do i get this done right?

Remove the haze with the Adam's glass cleaner.  Clean the windshield again well with a low nap towel and make sure your glass is streak free.  The glass cleaner won't remove the sealant since no alcohol, but it will clean up any residues.

FYI I use the clay followed by glass sealant and glass cleaner on the exterior of all my double hung house windows and not a single issue and the windows now bead water in a rainstorm and dry with very little if any water spots. a little goes a long way.

You should be able to see it going on... It should haze the windshield. Only after it is hazy should it be removed. 

I'd try again. Go over it with the clay and glass cleaner again. Clean the windshield and reapply the sealant. Let it haze. Wipe it off. You may have to wipe it down a few times to get all the sealant haze to go away. Afterwards go over it with a clean dry glass towel to buff down and streaks or remaining haze.

As others said, try again.

One side note, what type of windshield wash do you use? What kind of wipers?

I noticed rain-x wipers would leave a residue but my new Michelins do not.

When I put the glass sealant on, I could not see it going on, but if you wait a few seconds usually it will start to haze. As always, less is more. Correct me if I am wrong someone, but you could do a second coat of glass sealant if you missed a spot.

You should be able to see the sealant going on. I like to fold a microfiber applicator in half and use the "spine" of my fold to apply the sealant. First time, I'll spray 3-5 times down the spine, then after that 1-2 for each new window. Once it hazes, lightly mist some Glass Cleaner and wipe the haze off with a glass towel.

The only thing I do not like about the Glass Sealant is the game of scavenger hunt you have to play after wiping off the residue. You really need to look at multiple angles, in the light, to ensure the residue is completely gone, otherwise you will see faint streaks in the same direction of application/removal.

Also apply in a cross hatch pattern, I follow Adam's glass cleaning /sealing video to a T and I never have issues.

Don't use Rain-X wiper fluid, that is pure garbage.

Also remember since Glass Sealant has 4x the active ingredient of Rain-X, you'll be using less than you would if you were applying Rain-X.

Agreed. Rain-X Wiper Fluid sucks and some of their Wiper Blades are supposed to "coat" (more like streak) a sealant onto the glass when they get wet... They also suck. Don't use Rain-X stuff.

Also apply in a cross hatch pattern, I follow Adam's glass cleaning /sealing video to a T and I never have issues.

Don't use Rain-X wiper fluid, that is pure garbage.

Also remember since Glass Sealant has 4x the active ingredient of Rain-X, you'll be using less than you would if you were applying Rain-X.

:iagree:  X2  

OR

:iagree:  :iagree:

LOL

Edited by mtnbiker326

I've never had this problem... I didn't realize it was common. 

Has to be the wipers or fluid. Something is putting a film on the blades that isn't agreeing with the glass.

Edited by Kingsford

This may be rhetorical, but are you cleaning your wiper blades as well when doing the glass sealant/clay/cleaning?

I usually spritz APC on a towel and "pinch" the rubber and wipe the blade every time I wash my X5, you'll be amazed and what comes off of it once every week or two.  To keep the rubber protected and supple you could give a spritz of In&Out on a towel and just wipe it on the rubber to protect it.  I personally use 303 Aerospace but I know its not Adam's product, but the point is after wiping the blades you might want something on the rubber to keep it supple.

Been doing this for years and I get super long life out of my wiper blades this way.

This may be rhetorical, but are you cleaning your wiper blades as well when doing the glass sealant/clay/cleaning?

I usually spritz APC on a towel and "pinch" the rubber and wipe the blade every time I wash my X5, you'll be amazed and what comes off of it once every week or two.  To keep the rubber protected and supple you could give a spritz of In&Out on a towel and just wipe it on the rubber to protect it.  I personally use 303 Aerospace but I know its not Adam's product, but the point is after wiping the blades you might want something on the rubber to keep it supple.

Been doing this for years and I get super long life out of my wiper blades this way.

:iagree:

Attempted to apply the glass sealant.  Used the clay bar and then applied with a microfiber applicator.  I tried to apply as little as possible but i didnt really see it going on so i could not really gauge how much i was using.  Now,  when i use the wipers i have some streaking?  how do i get this done right?

And as a note to Adam123nyc...  DONT overdo the VRT (or other rubber treatment) on the wiper blades either.  They won't create a good enough seal with the extra product on it (and leave additional streaks as product is coming off and onto the glass when water hits it).  Just FYI

I would actually probably not use VRT on the wiper rubber, in and out if anything.  VRT being a thicker product will likely build up easy.

Just give one spritz of the aersol on the cleaned rubber in a sweeping motion, then a quick wipe of the rubber with a towel.  should keep the blades supple and not build up product this way.

I respectfully disagree Kingsford that using just water will clean the grime off the wipers, at least use a rag dipped in your Car Shampoo bucket when done washing the car and before drying, IMO.

Just wanted to share my regimen and recommendations for streak free wipers that last longer than a year and do not build up with product.  I should further clarify however, because

Cleaning the grime off wiper blades with APC, Glass Cleaner, or similar cleaner should deep clean the rubber (getting rid of that "film"), and if you want to extend the life of them (for $20 a blade the Bosch Icons are not cheap) you could give a wipe with a Rubber Protectant product such as 303 Aerospace (I've been doing this for almost 10 years with zero streaks or buildup), like I said I don't agree with VRT application since that is a product that will build up, whereas the 303 I mentioned "soaks in" and just keeps the rubber soft and is more of a UV protection product than anything.  Literally a spritz of 303 on a MF towel and just wipe the wiper rubber once, any more than that is too much.

I can send you some 303 in a trial bottle if you'd like to give it a whirl for yourself.

I think this also goes without saying but I recommend high quality aero "bracketless" wipers such as Bosch Icons, as opposed to conventional wipers, as they tend to distribute pressure more evenly on the glass.

In the end, having "Picture Perfect" Glass Cleaning/Sealing is quite a few steps and does not work for streak free, beading performance unless you follow the entire  regimen

-Quality Glass Cleaner like Adam's

-Less is More with Glass Sealant, applied per the video instructions

-Deep Cleaned and protected Wiper blades, using High Quality blades, and replacing when necessary

-Decon on the glass with Clay Bar before sealant application

Ya of course you do. Wiper blades aren't designed to last forever. They should be replaced once a year or when they start causing streaks. If anything besides water should be used to clean them it should be Glass Cleaner and they should then again be cleaned with just water to remove any residual residue left by the cleaner that would cause streaking. I'm done. Unfollowed. Have fun.

Let's keep it on topic here, please.

Glass Sealant is a little tricky to master, it's a finicky product on the most visually sensitive surface of your vehicle.

As others have mentioned, try using even less.  I run a small line down the center of a MF Applicator for 1/2 a windshield.  Spread up and down, then side to side, then move to the other 1/2.  I finish that side, let it all sit for another minute or two, then remove with GC.

Doing it in bright lighting will help clear up and missed spots.  Be sure to do your final wipe down with a dry or almost-dry glass towel as well.

Ya of course you do. Wiper blades aren't designed to last forever. They should be replaced once a year or when they start causing streaks. If anything besides water should be used to clean them it should be Glass Cleaner and they should then again be cleaned with just water to remove any residual residue left by the cleaner that would cause streaking. I'm done. Unfollowed. Have fun.

I'm sorry Nick but can you address the hostile tone through a PM to him?

And I'll address you directly Kingsford what is your issue here with me?  All I say is I respectfully disagree with using just water to remove grime on wiper blades and offer you a sample of the what I use to protect and extend the life of my blades, and you start with this stuff above me?  Above my post you said to use just water to clean wiper blades, now you added Glass Cleaner as well.  Why not just agree or correct your post above instead of the whole song and dance "ya of course you do, I'm done, unfollowed, have fun", talk about a healthy, open discussion, but for some reason you want to turn it negative, I don't know why that is.

Just because my experience with wiper blade lifespan or cleaning might be different than yours doesn't matter, different strokes for different folks and I can respect that.  I just wanted to share that with the regimen I use of regular cleaning and protection of the actual rubber on the blades, I am able to get 2.5 year (currently) out of the set of my Bosch Icon blades on my car without a single streak, I think that is fantastic, and attribute it to superior manufacturing and a good care regimen, and I thought it might be helpful to someone to share that who might not want to replace a $45 wiper set every year.

If anyone has questions on Glass Cleaning/Sealing regimen and your wipers which is not relevant to this thread please PM me as I would like to share my knowledge to other members but I am learning that there are some here who do not wish for any other voices to be heard but their own.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Guys, I'm not sure where the bad blood between you two is coming from, but let's remember, we all have our own thoughts, ways, and beliefs and honestly, this isn't a science.  I don't see ANYTHING wrong with positive criticism.   

I don't like to recommend this, but perhaps blocking each other is something worth doing here, or you could PM each other and talk over your issues with each other.   Let's all try to get a long.

Remember, there is almost always more than one way to accomplish the same or similar end results and in most cases, no ONE person is right or wrong.   

Chris

Thanks Chris, I already spoke with Gerry privately about this and have no bad blood as I tried to extend an olive branch by offering a sample of something in my previous message.

I will continue positively and even if that means criticism it will continue to be done as it has before in a constructive positive manner (thank you for your support of positive criticism).  How members perceive it will be up to them.  If needed I will block/ignore as needed but I'm hoping we are adults here and it doesn't need to come to that.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Hi Guys, I love this Forum!  I love the friendliness, the cool vibe, and cool people.

We don't have issues here, hardly ever.  However, since this is been a common issue, I'm forced to lay this down:

Anyone who makes our forum unfriendly will be permanently banned. 

Sorry guys, but you can PM, email, or talk anywhere you want, but unfriendly posts here won't be tolerated.

Thanks for keeping it positive!

-Adam

well....i tried again,  I cleaned the glass with glass cleaner,  clayed again , used very little sealant,  let it haze.  wiped the residue with a mist of glass cleaner again.   I used APC on the blades and they were quite dirty.  And still....streaking.  little less but still streaking.  Not sure what the issue is at this point.