Customer Service 866.965.0400

How many microfiber pads

Fit08

Question

So, in other thread(s) I've been discussing the new microfiber pads loading up with polish as you use.

In search for a good answer I noticed in the videos the Adams grew really load these puppy's up with polish, so my two "light" lines are not an issue as far as I can tell.

So, I can't help but think for a heavy hammered mid size to full size car they must be using 2-3 sets of microfiber pads because at the load rates they show I would not make half way around car before loading up bad. Yes, they are brushed every time it comes off the paint.

How many pads are we using folks?

13 answers to this question

Everyone needs at least 96 sets of pads, at least, if not a few dozen more!

Ha!  I wish....still, but I've never used more than one set  on a vehicle.  Use as little polish as possible, and use Detail Spray often to activate the dried solids in the pad.  Brush out the pads after each panel over a 33 gallon trash can. 

I have never used more than one set for a vehicle! 

Key is, once done, I always use All Purpose Cleaner to thoroughly rinse the pads out.  Allow to dry for a day or so. Once the polish is out of the pad, they are good to go for at least a whole vehicle.

Now, I'm the guy selling the pads, and would love to sell many sets to each customer, however, If cleaned well between uses, you should be good to go without them loading up.

Everyone needs at least 96 sets of pads, at least, if not a few dozen more!

Ha!  I wish....still, but I've never used more than one set  on a vehicle.  Use as little polish as possible, and use Detail Spray often to activate the dried solids in the pad.  Brush out the pads after each panel over a 33 gallon trash can. 

I have never used more than one set for a vehicle! 

Key is, once done, I always use All Purpose Cleaner to thoroughly rinse the pads out.  Allow to dry for a day or so. Once the polish is out of the pad, they are good to go for at least a whole vehicle.

Now, I'm the guy selling the pads, and would love to sell many sets to each customer, however, If cleaned well between uses, you should be good to go without them loading up.

So, if I understand you Adam, we would brush out pad (to fluff fiber) then hit with detail and run again only adding polish if the pad looks as if it is not laying down polish when spreading?

See what I'm seeing is the fibers are "matting" down right away thus creating huge drag and grabby especially on the finish polish pads.

Which machine are you using Ralph?  The key is to keep brushing out the fibers after knocking out a panel.  Love to see how much polish you typically put on a pad as well, and how many panels you might accomplish with that quantity?  Photos, videos, anything!

Thanks,

Like Adam mentioned I've used one set on my Gtr and wife's toureg. Less is key and hitting it up w/detail spray is a must. Always clean all pads after every session. Was thinking for a truck you'd want to use 2 especially if you gotta do more correcting.

Which machine are you using Ralph?  The key is to keep brushing out the fibers after knocking out a panel.  Love to see how much polish you typically put on a pad as well, and how many panels you might accomplish with that quantity?  Photos, videos, anything!

Thanks,

Hello Adam,

Flex ix the machine I use. I use two lines, Light squeeze and draw a line. Your lines appear to be "heavier"

So, say your panel takes four sections to complete the panel I would "load" the pads four times and brush out four times. No detail spray at all during this or anytime at this point.

Ralph, what speed is your flex set at? I increased my flex speed to 6 and the "grabbing" stopped, just a thought.

Speed 5 for both polishes (of two polish system) I only have "grabby" on the finishing polish. I did by accident have the flex on 6 with the correction polish and my pad was "steaming" when I stopped. Pressing to hard and speed I felt. Turned down and lighten up and gone.

You need at least 2 pads for a truck or midsize SUV, I recommend 3.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, after your fresh pad is primed, 3 pea sized dots of product are all that is needed as working product.  you probably can utilize that in up to 2 section passes as well, after the first pass, fluff the fibers up and a spritz of Detail Spray or wetting agent and then work the panel again.  Then 2-3 pea sized dots again and work another section.

If you have compressed air you can fluff up the fibers with a blow gun (do it away from the car), otherwise make sure you brush out the fibers after every pass.  they will mat down after each pass.

I typically use 2 sets of MF pads per vehicle, maybe 3 if it's an SUV or a truck with more surface area to cover.

Once a pad gets loaded, and/or if you have been a little too generous with the amount of polish you're using, there's only so much of it that you can remove with a Pad Brush or compressed air.  Once it gets to that point, it's time for a fresh pad.

Pads are like towels in my opinion, having more clean ones at your disposal is always better than trying to stretch one out to do a little more work than it should.