Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay Bar Question

SuperSnake850

Question

I am new to the clay bar, and am waiting for all of my supplies to come in that i have ordered, and am trying to learn as much as possible via youtube and this forum page before i use my polisher and rest of my goodies.. I have watched the video on Adams website of the clay bar technique.. But noticed something in the video that i was curious about? He sprays down the car with a bit of detail wax for LUBE! and then uses the clay bar on the car... BUT! he does not wipe up any of the spray wax residue that is left behind?? i was curious if you should wipe off the residue that is left behind from the bar and the spray wax with a micro towel... the next step is the two step polish... :huh: 

10 answers to this question

If your using clay lube that contains wax or wax additives, you need to remove the residue before polishing. It will clog your polishing pads prematurely.

I personally find it to be good practice to remove the clay residue every time before continuing with the detail. Most of the time it's a quick waterless wash wipedown but very contaminated cars may get a full wash after claying.

I've used DS, WW and Rinsless Wash (1:16 Ratio) to use a Clay Bar. 

When I clay though I never leave whatever chemical I used for Lube on the surface before I start polishing. 

I usually wipe down the entire car with Alcohol mixed with water to remove any left over waxes, polishes and what not before polishing as well.

The detail spray is not really a wax.  It just has characteristics that will enhance wax on the car.  When you use it for clay lube there shouldn't be any wax to enhance.

Also - Adam doesn't wipe it off because the next step he is doing is polish and it's not necessary to remove the claying residue.  Many do but many don't with good results.  Do what makes you comfortable.

Sometimes when I'm looking to save time, I finish washing my car (3 bucket method), leave it wet, mix up a clean wash bucket of Car Shampoo suds (probably about 2 gallons, take a clean mitt, soap up a panel, and just *gasp* clay the soapy panel while the car is wet.  Repeat the process for the whole car, rinse it down and dry.

You just saved yourself some time, some MF towels to clean, and don't have any residue to deal with once the car is rinsed down and dried and can go straight to polishing.

Oh and the old adage about soap degrading clay, is not an issue with Adam's ph neutral soap.

There's really no wrong way to do it here.  I usually wipe down each panel after I get done with the claying process, but if I'm in a hurry, I just leave it on and polish right over it.

There's not enough wax in our Detail Spray to cause an clogging issues with foam pads, so that's not a worry.