Customer Service 866.965.0400

what exactly happens when you glaze + wax

HFX Detailing

Question

So,

I was looking around and cannot find many details on this.

I know Glaze washes off quickly and does not last long. It is recommended to do glaze then wax. After that, just glaze every week or so until you are ready to wax again.

My question is this, if the wax protects the glaze, what happens?

Is it still there as long as the wax is?

Does it somehow lose its effect under the wax?

Does the wax degrade with the glaze? Ie: if say Americana lasted 6 months as an example, if I applied glaze underneath, would it still last 6 months?

If the wax does keep the glaze there, why would you need to apply glaze later...is it do to new defects being introduced, or the wax being worn down?

As you can see some of the questions tie into each other or feed off of a previous question. 

Thanks in advanced, I am trying to clean up my knowledge about the glaze.

The last question is a key one. 

11 answers to this question

So,

I was looking around and cannot find many details on this.

I know Glaze washes off quickly and does not last long. It is recommended to do glaze then wax. After that, just glaze every week or so until you are ready to wax again.

My question is this, if the wax protects the glaze, what happens?

The wax is theoretically protecting the glaze just like it would protect your paint. Anything under wax is protected.

Is it still there as long as the wax is?

The glaze will stay there as long as there is wax above it.

Does it somehow lose its effect under the wax?

It should not. Glaze makes for a better even shine and fills small scratches. Waxing over the top should not remove the glaze.

Does the wax degrade with the glaze? Ie: if say Americana lasted 6 months as an example, if I applied glaze underneath, would it still last 6 months?

If the wax you put over it should last 6 months (which it usually doesn't because of washing, exposure to elements and hard water from rain) the glaze will still be there. The Brilliant Glaze has been tested and showed there to be no degradation in the wax above it.

If the wax does keep the glaze there, why would you need to apply glaze later...is it do to new defects being introduced, or the wax being worn down?

To make it "Pop" a little more. To fill small scratches in the wax from washing and daily driving.

As you can see some of the questions tie into each other or feed off of a previous question. 

Thanks in advanced, I am trying to clean up my knowledge about the glaze.

The last question is a key one. 

My answers in Red.

Edited by Kingsford

What if your truck is garage kept will the glaze last if it comes out once a month?

If it only sees the light of day once a month and you don't wash or wipe it down in between, then it may last closer to a month.

Understanding how long glaze lasts is really a case by case basis, and it's really only a visual distinction.  You can typically tell when it's gone by the gloss level, or lack thereof.

The beauty (pun intended :)) of BG is that you can apply it often to keep the shine up without the risk of clouding like you'd see with over-application of a wax.  BG doesn't build up layers like a wax will, so you can apply it more often without issue.

If it's not looking as shiny as you want, throw another coat on there for good measure!

Thanks for the clarification Nick. Also if I spray detail it will that affect the glaze and or wax? Thanks.

Yes...in a good way! It will extend the life of your wax by adding a very small amount of protection to it, on top of making it look like it was freshly waxed.

Also how often should the wax be stripped of and reapply? I almost never was my truck since it stays in the garage and only comes out 2 times a month if that. Will the paint correction strip the wax and glaze off there fore not needing to wash it

Paint correcting (compounding and polishing) will definitely strip your glaze and wax or sealant.

That it will but if you have a build up of waxes it will gunk up your pads and reduce the effectiveness of them. 

There are products out there made for strip washing. You can use Isopropyl w/ Distilled Water (50/50) and spray the panels and wipe off with a towel. There are a ton of ways to do it.