Customer Service 866.965.0400

Suggestions needed for a soft paint vehicle

gapwedge

Question

Hey guys. I am new to Adam's and up until now I have hand polished my vehicles with decent results. I just picked up a 2010 Lexus ES350 Matador Red Mica vehicle. I thought this would be a good time to try my first machine and just ordered a GriotsGarage 6" DA. From what I have read on the Lexus forums the paint on them are soft. So, here is my question. Knowing that fact going into my correction phase should I start with a white finishing pad and finishing polish or start with the orange pad and corrective polish? I read where I need to try a test area first to see.

What I want to avoid is adding swirl marks and halos on top of what I tried to correct. Your experienced input would be helpful. Thanks.

11 answers to this question

Start with the least aggressive method first. So start with the white pad and paint finishing polish. If that's not enough try the orange pad. With a Lancer I did (mitsubishi not lexus) the paint was so soft I removed all scratched with the white pad and paint finishing polish.

That was my thinking as well. Thanks.

What I will tell you is based on Adam's system you will definitely be using finishing polish with white foam pad.

What is helpful to you is although you have soft Lexus paint, at least you don't have soft BLACK Lexus paint.  The worst.

A little trick in case you are using the white foam/finishing polish and not getting the results you are looking for, either lighten up on the pressure at the end of your buffing cycle pass, OR, alternatively, you can use either the Red Glazing/Black Waxing pads with the White polish, so your pad is ultra fine and allows that jeweling effect for a truly hologram free finish with almost no cut from the pad itself.

I'm not sure if both are made of the same foam just different color, but would be something to try as well if you were having trouble finishing on the white pad/white polish.

I ordered white pads today from Adams, but when I ordered my GG 6" DA I ordered an Orange and Red pad also. I will consider using the Red pad with the MFP from Adams if needed. Thanks.

Well, I used the GG 6" orbital using the white pad and machine finishing polish.  All I had on the paint were swirls with no scratches.  And with the car paint being soft I tested a quarter panel.  Once satisfied I finished the entire vehicle.  After the polishing I could not see any swirls so I sealed.  No wax.

post-12119-0-99776300-1407889565_thumb.jpg