Customer Service 866.965.0400

glass sealant not working right

sandman661

Question

so I clayed my windshield and used Adams glass sealant and it just finally rained here in CA yesterday and from all the pics and videos I seen the water still stayed on the windshield and I had to use my wipers a lot still. there's a little beading when I'm parked but that's it. did I do something wrong?

here's my steps

Adams glass cleaner with glass towels

clayed windshield then wiped residue off

applied glass sealant and wait to haze up and used glass cleaner to wipe down.

Once you clay your windshield, you don't need to wipe or clean it off. You can go straight to the sealant. Don't apply the sealant directly to the windshield. Put it onto a microfiber pad and be sure you get enough on, but not too much.  Go up and down, then left to right. Do your whole windshield before you give the windshield its final clean. You don't have to wait till it cures or hazes, but you DO have to use Adam's glass cleaner and the glass towel to finish it off. 

I've never had an issue with it.  Great product. 

Steps I used: (of course after a wash)

1.) Clayed using Adams glass cleaner wiped dry with glas towel (shake cleaner well before use)

2.) Cleaned glass with Adams glass cleaner and glass towels. (Different glass towel this time)

3.) Use black microfiber block, shake and pour a little glass sealant onto applicator and apply.

4.) Any residue that doesn't come off, I use glass towel and a fine mist of glass cleaner to be spot free.

You may want to try.

so I clayed my windshield and used Adams glass sealant and it just finally rained here in CA yesterday and from all the pics and videos I seen the water still stayed on the windshield and I had to use my wipers a lot still. there's a little beading when I'm parked but that's it. did I do something wrong?

here's my steps

Clean glass with Adam cleaner

Clay windshield

Clean glass again with Adams glass cleaner.

apply glass sealant

Buff off after hazing

I think what happened is you applied sealant and then you removed it using the glass cleaner.

rich I did exactly what you said to my wife's car and it did the samething. so on my truck I wiped the residue from the clay bar just to be safe before I applied the sealant with a microfiber pad and the glass looks awesome but doesn't bead like it's suppose too.

I do not use glass cleaner when claying the windshield I use detail spray and I also use detail spray to aid in removing if needed. How long did you let it sit before you removed it? I applied it to all my windows before I removed it and even then I usually let it sit a little while just to be sure it had cured before removal. Maybe there is a film on your windshield preventing it from working properly. I would try claying again followed by the finishing polish on a pc or flex to ensure its nice and clean then try the sealant again.

Seems odd.  Was the sealant exposed to a drastic temperature change (get super hot or cold)?

My process is always as follows:

Clay glass w/ DS (I usually clay the glass when I'm claying the rest of the vehicle so I don't switch to Glass Cleaner)

Remove clay residue

Apply a line of Sealant to the blue microfiber pad

Apply back and forth, then up and down

After I have done this on the driver's side of the windshield and the passenger's side (if you split it up 1/2 and 1/2) I remove the residue with a couple mists of Glass Cleaner and a glass microfiber.

Always comes out great.  I wonder if you got a bad batch of sealant?

How fast are you driving in that one picture and how heavy is the rain?  Depending on how fast you are going and how heavy the rain is falling influences how the water runs off, I've noticed.

Edited by egott_91

Seems odd.  Was the sealant exposed to a drastic temperature change (get super hot or cold)?

My process is always as follows:

Clay glass w/ DS (I usually clay the glass when I'm claying the rest of the vehicle so I don't switch to Glass Cleaner)

Remove clay residue

Apply a line of Sealant to the blue microfiber pad

Apply back and forth, then up and down

After I have done this on the driver's side of the windshield and the passenger's side (if you split it up 1/2 and 1/2) I remove the residue with a couple mists of Glass Cleaner and a glass microfiber.

Always comes out great.  I wonder if you got a bad batch of sealant?

How fast are you driving in that one picture and how heavy is the rain?  Depending on how fast you are going and how heavy the rain is falling influences how the water runs off, I've noticed.

I applied it when it was about 60 to 65 outside. in the pic I was going 60mph and it was raining pretty hard . I have another glass sealant I got from my mystery box last week so I'm going to see if it was a bad batch cuz it does the same thing with my wife's car.

Sounds like the issue is right there. Much harder for the water to roll off of such a steep windshield since the air is pushing the water upwards

ok I can understand that point. but my wife's Nissan altima doesn't bead either like it's suppose too . now I'm going to try my other glass sealant to see if that one is bad or it's just me doing something wrong

here's my steps

Application process seems solid, don't see any issues there.

I do not use glass cleaner when claying the windshield I use detail spray and I also use detail spray to aid in removing if needed. How long did you let it sit before you removed it? I applied it to all my windows before I removed it and even then I usually let it sit a little while just to be sure it had cured before removal. Maybe there is a film on your windshield preventing it from working properly. I would try claying again followed by the finishing polish on a pc or flex to ensure its nice and clean then try the sealant again.

In this process either DS or GC could be used interchangeably and I can't see either one having a negative impact other than DS does have wax in it, which could POSSIBLY in theory hurt the sealants ability to bond as well, but since the OP is using glass cleaner we can eliminate that.

I'D SUGGEST THIS -

Do a little experiment. Sometimes 'better' is hard to detect if you don't see original condition along side it.

Start by claying the glass again. Even take it a step further and take a little paint correcting polishing and scrub the glass with it.

Tape off a small square somewhere on the windshield thats out of the way. Apply glass sealant to all the surfaces except that square and see what you see. That control area will at least give us some insight into the difference between treated and untreated glass.

Keep us posted so we can help you find a solution. Highly unlikely its a "bad batch" considering this product is typically mixed 110 gallons at a time, or more.  That would be over 3500 bottles so there'd likely be a lot of people with similar symptoms as well.

Start by claying the glass again. Even take it a step further and take a little paint correcting polishing and scrub the glass with it.

I was about to say this. I bet if you polish the glass a bit there is some road film that claying didn't pull off.

Also on brand new windshields I have seen a film layer on them that prevents glass sealant from bonding. Had to polish the glass first to be able to seal it.

Application process seems solid, don't see any issues there.

In this process either DS or GC could be used interchangeably and I can't see either one having a negative impact other than DS does have wax in it, which could POSSIBLY in theory hurt the sealants ability to bond as well, but since the OP is using glass cleaner we can eliminate that.

I'D SUGGEST THIS -

Do a little experiment. Sometimes 'better' is hard to detect if you don't see original condition along side it.

Tape off a small square somewhere on the windshield thats out of the way. Apply glass sealant to all the surfaces except that square and see what you see. That control area will at least give us some insight into the difference between treated and untreated glass.

Keep us posted so we can help you find a solution. Highly unlikely its a "bad batch" considering this product is typically mixed 110 gallons at a time, or more.  That would be over 3500 bottles so there'd likely be a lot of people with similar symptoms as well.

ok Dylan I reclayed the windshield but I don't have any finishing polish right now and I reapplyed the glass sealant but I let it sit there for about 5 to 10 mins this time and now it's beading like crazy..... I know there's no cure time but that's odd.... glad it's working now

ok Dylan I reclayed the windshield but I don't have any finishing polish right now and I reapplyed the glass sealant but I let it sit there for about 5 to 10 mins this time and now it's beading like crazy..... I know there's no cure time but that's odd.... glad it's working now

this happened with my Father.

He tried glass sealant and could not understand why it did not work the same as my vehicle (we have the same vehicle, just different model).

I then applied it in-front of him and he goes, "I did not let it sit that long..I removed it once it hazed"

After a week it finally rained, he got back to me saying it beaded like crazy!

Long story short, he too did not leave it long enough.