Customer Service 866.965.0400

Whoops! Hologram Help...

RByers91

Question

So I took out my 4" pad and hooked it up to the drill to take out some small scratches on the car (since i don't have a polisher yet). Looks like i went a bit hard on a portion of the door and find myself seeing slight holograms. Just wondering what options i have int terms of removing them. Thanks!

18 answers to this question

Anytime you use the 4" Focus pads on your drill it acts like a rotary buffer and you run that risk.......it's always best to follow up with a machine polisher. Depending on hard or soft your clear is you might help them with a lot of elbow grease...maybe.

Never thought of purchasing one from HF. Just assumed it would be junk. If that would get the holograms out, it may be an option. 

Needs about 3 things and 2 are basically free, and you can google them to see pics, which I've posted here before:

-Rotate the body so the power switch is up top (free)

-Remove the stock grease from the head and use heavy duty grease (optional, but easy and only for cost of grease)

-Never use the backing plate that comes with the machine

For $50 with a coupon from HF it will do all the work of the PC but at less than half the price and obviously be friendly for your wallet.  The PC also needs a backing plate from Adam's since it doesnt come with one so the HF is prob the better choice for you.

I bought a cheapo from Harbor Freight many years ago. I used it constantly for about 4 years and it did the job. I don't use it all that much anymore...occasionally use it to nano scrub the car. I think I must have paid like $60 bucks for it 8 years ago.

This is one looks almost identical to the model I have and it's only $68.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-57-amp-heavy-duty-dual-action-variable-speed-polisher-69924.html

It's a decent DA.  There is lots of info online about it.  Just be sure to replace the backing plate and pads with something better. 

4" or 6" backing plate from Adam's?  Or one of each - one for smaller areas and one for larger surfaces?

Edited by Nudge

My preference is a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads but a 6" will work. The 4" would allow you to get into tighter areas or for spot correcting.

What he says, that's all I use. It gives me better result than the 7" pads

I know Adams doesn't like to condone the practice of buying Chinese crap, but the Harbor Freight DA polisher is a decent starter machine for what it costs. I have one and it suits me just fine. But I have only used it twice so far.

If a polisher isn't in the budget right now, I would at least get the HF machine until a Flex or Cyclo is in your budget.

Like others have already mentioned, find you a 20% off coupon and you should be able to pick one up for around $50