Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint Decon??

dave 316

Question

Sorry guys just trying to learn.

1) What is paint decon and why do it? (deepwheel cleaner)

2) If I strip wash, clay, polish, seal, glaze, then wax, where would spray on decon come into that formula?

3) deep wheel cleaner 1:1. for a 16 oz bottle, is that 8 oz deep wheel and 8oz of water?

14 answers to this question

Paint decontamination can be several things, but in item #2 it would come after the wash (add 2-3 oz. to your Car Wash Shampoo),  Spray a panel with the diluted DWC to see if you see it change color.  If it doesn't move on to claying. Your dilution ratio is correct.

Sorry guys just trying to learn.

1) What is paint decon and why do it? (deepwheel cleaner)

2) If I strip wash, clay, polish, seal, glaze, then wax, where would spray on decon come into that formula?

3) deep wheel cleaner 1:1. for a 16 oz bottle, is that 8 oz deep wheel and 8oz of water?

1)  I do it once a year as a time saver, usually after winter for my spring detail, theres usually a lot of nastiness bonded to the paint after winter.  It saves me some claying time since I have less contaminants to remove, less effort and agitation with clay to remove them, and to be honest some things are just stubborn that have bonded on the paint and need a chemical to break the bond.  My claying regimen is about every 4-6 months depending on the feel of the paint.

2)  It would come after your strip wash, leave the car wet and in the shade, mist the 1:1 mixture on the paint, allow for a few mins dwell time, DO NOT LET IT DRY, and then you can either go over it lightly with a wet sponge or wash pad for some agitation, or just rinse, and go into your normal drying routine.  You can also follow up with clay after rinsing it down, while its still wet, to be sure you got everything.  I do so, and between claying and paint decon it takes me approx 10 mins to get the whole vehicle done.  And then I dry and I'm ready to seal or polish

3)  Yes.  DWC is already the most effective priced and performance on the market that I've used, and diluting for decon 1:1 makes it even more price effective

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Raid dust aka iron particles attach themselves to your paint. When they become exposed to water/air they oxidize (rust) as that happens it can begin to embed itself in the paint. Claying will take care of it at the surface level most times, but if its really in there the portion below the level of the clear needs to be chemically removed.

Thats where the decon process would come into play. So its not a process needed often for sure.

Keep in mind, this ONLY addresses metallic fallout, so you will still clay afterwards to remove organic contamination and things like overspray, etc.

Would it be wise, when claying.. to use a 1:1 ratio of water/deep wheel cleaner as the lubricant? Or is that mixture supposed to be sprayed on.. let it sit for 5 minutes... then continue with the clay/detail spray around the car?

Would it be wise, when claying.. to use a 1:1 ratio of water/deep wheel cleaner as the lubricant? Or is that mixture supposed to be sprayed on.. let it sit for 5 minutes... then continue with the clay/detail spray around the car?

Spray it on before claying and allow it time to dwell. Clay after the Deep Wheel Cleaner has done its thing

Why do it after the wash? Does that assuming the surface of the car is heavenly covered with dust/dirt and the solution will not be able to reach the particles? Doing that first seemed odd to me, and then I was reading on AutoGeek, and Mike Phillips and many others do it before the wash.

Just wondering how much of the 1:1 deep wheel cleaner decon spray do you guys typically use. I have a 16oz bottle of Deep Wheel Cleaner and would like to use some for paint decon but still have some for cleaning my wheels. Just trying to figure if I should split 8oz to decon and 8 oz for wheels 

Why do it after the wash? Does that assuming the surface of the car is heavenly covered with dust/dirt and the solution will not be able to reach the particles? Doing that first seemed odd to me, and then I was reading on AutoGeek, and Mike Phillips and many others do it before the wash.

The dirt and film thats on your car before a wash can contain a measurable amount of metallic contamination that IS NOT bonded to the paint, spraying a decon spray on paint before cleaning means that some of the chemical is working on particles that could easily be removed in the wash process, thus not having them work on particles that would not be removed in the wash.

Theres also the fact that you're asking a chemical with no real means of penetrating dirt or oils (its only purpose is to melt ferrous metals) to do something its not designed to do.

Our 'official' recommendation would be to wash the car, rinse thoroughly, then spray the 1:1 DWC for decon purposes. You can do it the way other companies or detailers recommend, certainly they will have their reasons/justifications, but our process is what we feel performs best as part of our product/process.

Just wondering how much of the 1:1 deep wheel cleaner decon spray do you guys typically use. I have a 16oz bottle of Deep Wheel Cleaner and would like to use some for paint decon but still have some for cleaning my wheels. Just trying to figure if I should split 8oz to decon and 8 oz for wheels

I go through 20-26 oz on a normal sedan. I am sure I can get away with less to get down to 16 total oz, but I have never really tried.

The dirt and film thats on your car before a wash can contain a measurable amount of metallic contamination that IS NOT bonded to the paint, spraying a decon spray on paint before cleaning means that some of the chemical is working on particles that could easily be removed in the wash process, thus not having them work on particles that would not be removed in the wash.

Theres also the fact that you're asking a chemical with no real means of penetrating dirt or oils (its only purpose is to melt ferrous metals) to do something its not designed to do.

Our 'official' recommendation would be to wash the car, rinse thoroughly, then spray the 1:1 DWC for decon purposes. You can do it the way other companies or detailers recommend, certainly they will have their reasons/justifications, but our process is what we feel performs best as part of our product/process.

I agree for the most part, but to your point about penetrating dirt or oils, isn't that even worse on the wheels, as it is lower to the ground, and DWC is the best of about 6 different products.

Fair point, thanks, I have always done it the Adam's way, and will most likely continue. I also like to know the ins and outs of why I am doing something a certain way, so thank you for the information.