Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help me use less product!

PT3

Question

I sealed the M today with Liquid Paint Sealant. I started getting little clumps.

I tend to always use too much product. I found it hard to see it actually applied to the paint until I put more on.

Also... I didn't clay. I'm guessing I prob should have, huh...?

7 answers to this question

If you were getting clumps, you were using far too much product. Different lighting may help you to see where product was applied already. I also recommend a procedure for each panel Starting in the same quadrant of each panel all the way around the car. It will help you be more efficient.

Edited by PHOKUS

Did you apply it by hand with a microfiber blue applicator square or by machine with a gray foam pad? If you used the gray foam pad and machine, remember that you do not have to apply any downward pressure when applying a sealant or wax since you are not trying to do any paint correction at this point, just let the machine glide over the surface on a slow speed setting.

If I'm using the Flex to apply LPS, I typically 'draw' a thin spiral pattern of LPS on the foam pad (Paint Correcting Polish and Paint Finishing Polish I still put an X-pattern on the pads for those). I then lightly blot it down onto the panel, say 1/4 of the hood in a square area. Then all you really have to do is move the machine in a vertical or horizontal pattern in that area, apply a little more sealant to the pad, and move onto the next area - no need to go back and forth several passes on one area, because again, you're just trying to lay down a thin, even coat of the sealant for protection.

If you're using a blue foam microfiber square, I follow the same process, but I apply a circle pattern onto about half of one side of the applicator, blot it down 5 or 6 times in an area half as big as I would do with the Flex, so a 1' x 1' square usually, and then spread the LPS in the same horizontal or vertical fashion. I let it haze up for a minute or two and then wipe it off.

I would say if the car feels rough to the touch after a wash, then yes I would clay first. This will also help you determine if you've put sealant down in an area if it's hard to see on a color like your car. Once the sealant is down, you can feel the sealant on the panel compared to the smooth clayed areas that you haven't yet applied the product.

Edited by psu goat

When your applicator starts to load up with product, you can gently press the applicator on the surface in various spots to extract some of the product within the applicator.  You can then spread that product out.  You will save more product that way. 

Phil I would be claying at least twice a year.  It doesnt take much time for a quick claying session before applying sealant.

As well all good tips above, foam apps can be "kissed" on the panels after they have some product built up iin them.  Think "thin to win" when applying, super thin coats.  Once my app isn't dry after a panel or two of application, literally a few dots on the applicator per panel.  Overall you'll probably use 1/2 oz total if that, to seal your car.

I use the pad to apply the sealant as well, since i feel like the foam applicator seems to swallow most of the sealant instead of putting it on the car... Kind of a bummer since it does a much better job of getting nice thin even coats.