Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to remove Quick Sealant?

rusman

Question

Hello,

I sprayed quick sealant on my front bumper but some of it got on the paint behind the bumper and has left a residue that I'm having a hard time removing.  I've tried using APC and scrubbing and it's not working.  Simple Green has worked better but barely.  Anyone have any ideas how I can remove the quick sealant?

post-12040-0-06361400-1431398075_thumb.jpg

Edited by rusman

Not sure if any of this clears up anything, but here it goes...

Pic 1: Here's what it looked like at 6:17pm. The rubbing/smearing you see if from me slightly rubbing it this morning (it was still a tad wet in high spots). At the time of taking this pic it was all dry and pretty sticky. (think dried on soda)

Pretty hard to pick up on camera, but at certain angles you could see it. (transparent)

Pic 2: From different angle

Pic 3: Rubbing it pretty hard with short nap microfiber towel.

Pic 4: A finishing polish (Reflect) easily removed it. (by hand)

Here is where it looks most like the pic provided by the OP. This is the over spray part (next 4 pics). I tested it in a spot not pictured and it was not coming off with vigorous rubbing. A finishing polish (as expected) made quick work of it done by hand with a short nap microfiber towel. Obviously I way over applied it, so in reality my situation shouldn't happen at all.

Next four pictures show my attempt at removing it with IPA mixed with a rinse-less wash product...

Didn't completely remove the dripping, so it seems that a finishing polish is the best option (no surprise there). Was hard to get it pictured.

Not sure if this helps the OP as it was already stated that a finishing polish would clear it up, but even after way over applying it I didn't seem to quite get the exact results as the OP (but maybe I did). 

*Pictures taken with phone. I am not a photographer. My apologies.

Great write-up. Thanks for taking the time to attempt to replicate it. This shows the quality of character of most of the members here.

BKazzle is the man, and confirmed that polishing by hand would remove.  Thats great to hear, as I did suspect the Quick Sealant was not the issue here.  Awesome job investigators and experimenters.

I disagree that the quick sealant wasn't the issue.

If it was the problem wouldn't it have been the problem on the rest of the car or on more areas of the car?   Just a logical thought.  Stuff like that is hard to figure out sometimes.  If is was quick sealant you should be able to duplicate the situation again in the same area unless a second item was involved the fist time. Maybe it was just the perfect storm.   

The issue is that if you wanted to avoid overspray drying up in places you should have been spraying on an applicator and applying directly to the surface that way.  Its your application method, not the product's fault.  Quick sealant is designed to dry hard and bond to paint which is why is recommended to remove right away.  If you spray the surface its going to overspray and if you know you have a tight area hard to reach by hand why would you spray the bumper with it in the first place if you can't wipe all areas down.

I can see it attributing to the issue based on Kazzle's experiment, but I don't think quick sealant alone was the issue.

Technique plays a roll in this as well. As is mentioned bellow it is better to apply quick sealant to an applicator and then the panel to prevent these issues in the future. And maybe a bit less product as well.

Just wondering if the area you ran into this issues with if you could get to it with a super plush microfiber towel? For example if you sprayed the area and then followed up with the soft towel before the QS dried to level it out. I do this on wheels all the time as an applicator isn't exactly ideal for some of those tight areas.

Just for future reference to anyone that uses QS and doesn't want the issue of overspray, I always spray QS on a foam pad then apply. I do not like the spray panel then spread with applicator method. Helps to avoid ANY issues of overspray.

This right here would have avoided the issue all together, but it is a tighter area so maybe follow with a towel to level the product. All comes down to technique to prevent these types of issues in the future. Part of new products is learning how to utilize them and what they do when you run into an issue.

If it was the problem wouldn't it have been the problem on the rest of the car or on more areas of the car?   Just a logical thought.  Stuff like that is hard to figure out sometimes.  If is was quick sealant you should be able to duplicate the situation again in the same area unless a second item was involved the fist time. Maybe it was just the perfect storm.   

Not necessarily. This area has a larger exposed surface for over spray from QS, but it is difficult to be able to access afterwards. Less product would lessen the effect for sure though.

Its your application method, not the product's fault.  

If this product is so sensitive on the manner in which it's applied then Adam's should recommend that this product be applied to an applicator and not to a car directly.

If it was the problem wouldn't it have been the problem on the rest of the car or on more areas of the car?

The only place that I applied this to was a chrome bumper before a long trip.  it's not unreasonable to expect that it applied differently to the chrome than the clear coat.

Edited by rusman

Well, looks like the issue was solved and we even have some additional proof that confirms that at the VERY worst, even with an extreme case of misuse a fine polish will solve the problem. Rather than continue to sit here and have everyone exchange jabs I'm going to close it down and it can live on a a great example for people to reference when they experience a similar issue.

I'd also like to remind everyone that this forum WILL be maintained as a friendly and welcoming environment. If we find out that threatening, or disruptive behavior has happened via PM then we will remove those responsible.

Everyone have a great weekend!