Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to remove Quick Sealant?

rusman

Question

Hello,

I sprayed quick sealant on my front bumper but some of it got on the paint behind the bumper and has left a residue that I'm having a hard time removing.  I've tried using APC and scrubbing and it's not working.  Simple Green has worked better but barely.  Anyone have any ideas how I can remove the quick sealant?

post-12040-0-06361400-1431398075_thumb.jpg

Edited by rusman

I won't be responding to this thread anymore.  I really don't appreciate people on here inferring that I'm not telling the truth.  Thank you all for making me feel unwanted here simply for asking for some help.

Rusty, I don't think anyone is meaning to imply you aren't being truthful... they're simply asking "are you sure that _________" questions to eliminate variables that maybe weren't considered. As I said on the phone with you we have to get to the bottom of what caused it to figure out a solution. If thousands of people have no issue, but 1 person does asking questions is where we'll identify that variable.

No one is trying to make you feel unwanted or dismissing the issue, quite the opposite actually, they're trying to help.

We're not saying you're lying, just saying it might be something else as normally you can remove QS with APC very easily. That's why we are asking questions. So the paint was perfect, you applied QS and now it looks like the picture?

pick 1 I assume is the clean pic?  pic 2 almost looks like something ate through your paint right above where the quick sealant is (where the paint appears to be severely scratched).  

On pic 2, there aren't any scratches, it's just a glare.  Pic 1 and pic 2 were taken within a minute of each other. So how is that even helpful to the original question?

Edited by rusman

We're not saying you're lying, just saying it might be something else as normally you can remove QS with APC very easily. That's why we are asking questions. So the paint was perfect, you applied QS and now it looks like the picture?

Yes, this is a show car, the paint is in terrific condition as it was repainted about 2 years ago.  The car just won a gold at the Mustang Club of America National Show in Tucson last month.  At that show, the car was thoroughly judged top to bottom.

post-12040-0-79568600-1431555557_thumb.jpg

Edited by rusman

It's hard to tell from the pic 1 and pic 2 since the lighting is different.  Perhaps quick sealant locked in whatever was on the paint. 

Nice mustang by the way.

Now that I see what area this is from your zoomed out photo, how about using a little polish and one of those yellow foam applicators and apply it by hand.  That should remove some of it if not all of it.  You could even go with a microfiber applicator to give you a little more bite.  If it's etched then it will be harder to remove by hand.  

Edited by The Guz

People are just trying to help no reason to get offended.

Telling me that the paint is severely scratched and that something has eaten through the paint (neither of which are true) isn't helpful.

Rusty I would stop getting so bent out of shape with a few questions, try what Guz said and polish it out by hand.

Since its so hard to reach in there to polish or clean the QS off, or to clean in general, how can we be 100% certain that the surface had absolutely nothing on it before the QS "over sprayed" on the area.

Just a valid question IMO. this is the first issue I am hearing about QS personally

On pic 2, there aren't any scratches, it's just a glare.  Pic 1 and pic 2 were taken within a minute of each other. So how is that even helpful to the original question?

oh, my bad man...I should have known they were takin within a minute of eachother b/c you mentioned this in your post

looks like a scratch to me b/c of the glare but I should have known this too!

Did a quick test on a panel I have laying around...

Over applied it and I OVER OVER APPLIED IT.

7:14pm CST - Way over applied

21acy9k.jpg

7:16pm CST - Starting to set/drip

zo9eyq.jpg

7:20pm CST - Applied even more on top

143q9e8.jpg

7:33pm CST - Pretty hard to see after 13m of setting

6fxhxj.jpg

Will report back tomorrow with my findings. Looks like I will get different results after taking a peek 5m ago. (7:55pm CST)

Did a quick test on a panel I have laying around...

Over applied it and I OVER OVER APPLIED IT.

Will report back tomorrow with my findings. Looks like I will get different results after taking a peek 5m ago. (7:55pm CST)

Interested to see your findings.

how can we be 100% certain that the surface had absolutely nothing on it before the QS "over sprayed" on the area.

Clearly you have no intention of helping.  How about we just shut this thread down?  I'm polishing it by hand.

Clearly you have no intention of helping.  How about we just shut this thread down?  I'm polishing it by hand.

You can try using paint thinner.  That's the quick and dirty way that 99% of car dealerships remove stuff.  It does work, just be careful with it, but it is generally safe to use.

This issue is not getting the sealant off as the chemicals listed would take care of that. The issue is what the sealant may have mixed with to cause the issue in hand. Quick Sealant as a chemical does not cause what is shown, whatever it may have come in contact with would have caused that.

Op, don't take what is being posted personally, while it may come across, or seem to you, they are not meaning that you messed something up or did something wrong.

Interested to see your findings.

Kazzle I'm interested as well.  and to OP you really have quite the sour puss attitude considering a member is trying to replicate what happened to your panel and therefore technically be able to help everyone troubleshoot better.  If you don't want to chime in on the problem thread you started anymore then don't do so, personally I'm subscribed to see the results of the over-application test that BKazzle is running.

Honestly, Rusman, if someone here is going out of their way to try to replicate what happened to your situation then that should speak volumes to the character we have here.

Hope you have some progress with your beautiful Mustang. 

Edited by JHL88

Not sure if any of this clears up anything, but here it goes...

Pic 1: Here's what it looked like at 6:17pm. The rubbing/smearing you see if from me slightly rubbing it this morning (it was still a tad wet in high spots). At the time of taking this pic it was all dry and pretty sticky. (think dried on soda)

Pretty hard to pick up on camera, but at certain angles you could see it. (transparent)

post-9481-0-70839900-1431648562_thumb.png

Pic 2: From different angle

post-9481-0-69622500-1431648627_thumb.png

Pic 3: Rubbing it pretty hard with short nap microfiber towel.

post-9481-0-57209300-1431648621_thumb.png

Pic 4: A finishing polish (Reflect) easily removed it. (by hand)

post-9481-0-02072100-1431648643_thumb.png

Here is where it looks most like the pic provided by the OP. This is the over spray part (next 4 pics). I tested it in a spot not pictured and it was not coming off with vigorous rubbing. A finishing polish (as expected) made quick work of it done by hand with a short nap microfiber towel. Obviously I way over applied it, so in reality my situation shouldn't happen at all.

post-9481-0-76684700-1431648710_thumb.pngpost-9481-0-26721300-1431648717_thumb.png

post-9481-0-85878400-1431648724_thumb.pngpost-9481-0-37886400-1431648731_thumb.png

Next four pictures show my attempt at removing it with IPA mixed with a rinse-less wash product...

Didn't completely remove the dripping, so it seems that a finishing polish is the best option (no surprise there). Was hard to get it pictured.

post-9481-0-97083700-1431648652_thumb.pngpost-9481-0-46590800-1431648658_thumb.png

post-9481-0-20527500-1431650147_thumb.pngpost-9481-0-29335300-1431650155_thumb.png

Not sure if this helps the OP as it was already stated that a finishing polish would clear it up, but even after way over applying it I didn't seem to quite get the exact results as the OP (but maybe I did). 

*Pictures taken with phone. I am not a photographer. My apologies.

Looks like Quick Sealant mixed with pollen to me from the picture.. never seen it yellow

Without seeing up close and in person I would second this answer. Don't know where this car resides but around here in PA the stuff has been bad. Would be easy to miss in a spot that tight, even with the most careful detailing. rusman, your frustration is understandable with such a wonderful car. However, you came here for help and for some reason you have taken any question asked too personally. You are not being interrogated for murder here. However, if you want help from folks here you might have to answer a few questions. The only fact we have is that you sprayed the product in that area. You seem to be assuming that because you spayed it that it is an absolute certainty that the product alone is to blame. I think lax is on the right track. If not pollen, something else that has mixed with product.

I hope you get to the bottom of it. I think there is more to it than just overspray.

Edited by FlyingDakota

Dude... Get a grip. Why so defensive? Everyone is simply asking any and all questions to ensure no stone is left unturned. Folks don't know your background and so the best approach is to assume nothing and try to identity every possible scenario.

Your attitude towards people just trying to help is ridiculous. And to be clear... I AM intentionaly calling your behavior ridiculous.

Get this... Our new member and friend sent me a PM saying I've insulted him, then proceeds to tell me he's returning all his Adams products and will go somewhere where he's not insulted or accused of lying. Then he banned me and is apparently 'reporting' me!! LOL. Oh no... I hope I don't get a detention. lol. What a joke.

Reason and logic seem to be greatly lacking.

"Don't let the door............................"

Edited by PhilT3 2014 BMW M5

I know everyone has been trying to help, but the none of the extra business is helping here. If you genuinely tried to help, which many of you have, then thats all you can do. You can't win every battle and no one wins or looks good in one like this. This forum is about detailing and having fun, please don't ruin the good vibes that have been going on around here!