Customer Service 866.965.0400

Water "Stain"

AbnerR

Question

I have a flaw that I am not sure how to approach.  There is a discoloration at the bottom of the car near the gap between the two doors. I think it is due to water draining out of the front of the rear door after a rain, but I am not positive.

It is a small area and curved so a machine can’t get in there.  Do I pick up Revive and use a microfiber applicator to try to get rid of this? 

The car is Steel Grey metallic and no one can see it but me, but it is sure ticking me off.   :D 

Thanks.

post-12966-0-33625200-1432508169.jpg

12 answers to this question

It's probably a cosmoline type rust preventer or water reacting with grease on the hinges, I find these type "stains" a lot on German cars.

Edited by vobro

In looking at that picture it almost looks like water is getting into the door some where, possibly where the window and seal meet.  It is then running out of a drain in the bottom portion of the door.  And I bet the inside of the door is coated with a rust inhibitor.  Just my guess.  

It's probably a cosmoline type rust preventer or water reacting with grease on the hinges, I find these type "stains" a lot on German cars.

Good call... that was what I was leaning towards, or just a concentration of contamination gathering in the panel gap and draining there.

Fixed!  I got a chance to work on it today and was able to clean it up.

The rust inhibitor concept appears correct, but I am far from an expert. I will keep an eye on it going forward and see if it starts to reappear. 

If they use a lot of it, then you will notice it weeping out on hot days. My ex used to have a Jetta that just seemed like a never ending fountain of the stuff.