Customer Service 866.965.0400

Isopropyl Alcohol: Will it remove sealant?

Texas Moe

Question

I've seen lots of discussion about using isopropyl alcohol to clean before correcting/polishing but I've never used it.  I just sealed my truck two months ago but want to try the Brilliant Glaze and Americana I just bought.

If I use the isopropyl alcohol before the glaze and wax, will it remove the sealant?

12 answers to this question

Do you want to remove the sealant?

As I'm sure you know - you can just put the Glaze and Wax on top of your sealant layer.

Yes, sorry, I wasn't clear.  I wanted to avoid removing the sealant but wanted to prep the surface.  Plan is to glaze and wax right now.

Yes, sorry, I wasn't clear.  I wanted to avoid removing the sealant but wanted to prep the surface.  Plan is to glaze and wax right now.

In that case why risk it?  Just give it a good wash (2 bucket or rinseless) and put the Glaze and Wax on top.

It will look fantastic.

Just going to drop this in here to add to the discussion. It was more of an experiment with Dawn dishsoap, but it also shows what using IPA does or doesn't do as well.

http://imgur.com/a/YkEYv

Not my work, but I came across it a few weeks back.

Edited by TheBurninator

Thanks to all of you for the feedback.  As many of you have suggested, I'll just give the truck a good wash and then apply the glaze and wax.  Was probably trying to make it harder than necessary but was also trying to understand how to use the isopropyl alcohol in detailing.

Guest washemup

Thanks to all of you for the feedback.  As many of you have suggested, I'll just give the truck a good wash and then apply the glaze and wax.  Was probably trying to make it harder than necessary but was also trying to understand how to use the isopropyl alcohol in detailing.

The glaze has a solvent in it, so should prep fine after a wash for your wax.

Use IPA wipedown prior to polishing, to remove any remaining residue after claying or decontamination of the surface. The idea is to have nothing but clean paint under your pad and polish.

You'll already get paint and product residue on your pads from polishing, by eliminating surface residue, the polish will be more effective due to no build up on your pad of any remaining sealant, wax, clay lube, which the IPA will remove.

Edited by washemup