Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detail and remove sealant before graphics?

BoCRon

Question

I am finally getting my roof graphics and stripes done on my MINI, woohoo!

When I first got her I did a pretty good detail, wash, clay, followed by Paint Sealant and then followed up over the summer with a few applications of HG&G. I also did glass sealant and can't remember if I did the glass on the sunroof.

The guy that is doing the graphics has only asked that the car be brought to him in fairly clean condition, not an issue. He did state that the only time he's had trouble with graphics on the sunroof is when someone has applied rainx or similar recently.

He uses an alcohol based cleaner to wipe down prior to applying the graphics but I would like to remove what I can from the roof and sunroof. 

So what should I clean the roof and sunroof with prior to delivering to him next week? The car will be garaged and not get driven next week so I'm not worried about removing any protection.

Annette

9 answers to this question

I would wash the car right before you deliver it, not saying he's a monster but I fear anyone touching my paint even dust. As far as surface prep I'd leave it to him and just tell him what may be on the glass

Thanks, I was just thinking the All Purpose would be the way to go. I'm worried about it running down the car when I rinse as I don't really want to remove the sealant from the rest of the car. Maybe I can spray the all-purpose directly on one of my microfiber applicators and apply it that way and then rinse with some wet double softs and then wash?

Annette

An IPA wipe would help get rid of the sealant as well.

That's actually the best idea.  It will evaporate and you won't have to worry about  your paint or wax job getting messed up.  That's what you're supposed to do before applying any decals anyway.  I've done enough of them to know that. 

Take some of your plush MF towels with you, just in case the installer is using bad towels.  When I had my hood graphic done, the installer grabbed a roll of paper towels to clean the paint.  :eek:

Luckily, I had brought good towels with me.  Worse than that, I said "paper towels SCRATCH", and he replied, "I know, but that's all they give us."  :loser: