Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing Adhesive Residue from PPF

Guest washemup

Question

Guest washemup

The front of my car has PPF on it, it was applied in 3 strips. I removed the top strip, as it was yellowing and the paint underneath is swirled. Taking it off was very easy, however I have an adhesive that is being a pain in the butt to get off.

Methods tried, the AMMO NYC microfiber pad and compound. Barely any success after several passes.

Solvent with the Dr Colorchip paint repair system. Nothing.

Goo gone, works but takes 2 soakings at 5 min each, with more product on a towel, and still some pressure required.

I've removed residue from Vinyl stickers and badges with no problems up until this stuff using these 3 methods.

Anyone have success with anything else for tough to remove adhesive?

Edited by washemup

15 answers to this question

I always have difficulty with removing the Carlisle registration stickers from the top corner of my windshield. They leave a crazy amount of residue behind if I don't use a razor blade, and sometimes I just don't like cutting my fingers up. For glass and that particular adhesive, I've had my best results using full strength APC sprayed onto the residue and into a Microfiber Utility Towel and then scrubbing for 30 seconds or so in a concentrated spot. Then once I get the majority off, I will go back over the area with Glass Cleaner and a Clay Bar, but I definitely would not recommend this scrubbing method on paint!

I also have a lot of 'fun' experience with removing vinyl sponsor decals off of the painted surfaces of my vehicles at the end of road rally events, and the cheaper vinyl tends to leave a lot of difficult to remove residue as well :( I will use either DS and a clay bar, or go to a diluted APC spray for really stubborn areas, but I make sure to immediately clean the painted surface of any APC afterwards. Then I will go over the area with PCP and an orange foam pad with the polisher of my choice to remove any fine lines that were left by the outline of the vinyl.

I haven't had to remove any residue from a PPF yet, so I will discuss it with some of the other staff and get back to you!

For the adhesive? You're going to need a ton of plastic razor blades and 3M adhesive remover cans. It will take hours

There's your answer right there! I go through quite a bit of those blue plastic razor blades when removing vinyl lettering, but I'm not too fond of using them because they can even mar up the soft clear on my truck if I'm not super careful.

Guest washemup

For the adhesive? You're going to need a ton of plastic razor blades and 3M adhesive remover cans. It will take hours

This is the truth, I've been at it for 2 1/2 hours and I'm a little past halfway. I didn't have any plastic razor blades on hand, a longer knap microfiber, which I will throw away when done, has been doing a good job getting it off, once the Goo Gone has softened it.

I do this all the time.  Badges, emblems, race car graphics, clear film......This is the stuff the people in the vinyl industry use.

http://www.rapidtac.com/rapid-remover.html

I spoke with a PPF pro on the phone this morning, and he said this is the same product he uses, unfortunately the nearest vendor is 40 miles away, it cuts removal time in half. This PPF adhesive is like vinyl adhesive on steroids! He did also tell me to let the sunlight hit it to soften it, and it's helped some.

One thing is for sure, if I decide to remove the other two pieces, I will definitely have this product!

Guest washemup

I put it in an unmarked bottle so nobody knows my secret!  I call it "booger juice" because it turns the adhesive into balls of snot.... :)

Yeah the Goo Gone has the same effect, only takes longer, my towel has some of this "booger juice" in each used spot, looks like I'll only have to ruin 1 good towel though!

I sure wish I had known about the rapidtac, I'd be done by now, well done removing the adhesive anyway.

A few things I've learned about PPF. Larry Kosilla is 100% correct in that you shouldn't cover paint with PPF that has swirls in it. It really magnifies their appearance.

PPF does a great job protecting against rock chips. A few areas had very small spots where a rock had struck the surface, these would have definitely been larger had it not been covered.

The last and probably most important thing I should have posted initially on here in regards to PPF removal (although the You tube video I found on it was spot on), If I had known about the best adhesive remover that's clear coat safe, I could have saved a lot of time. Many thanks though for all of you who helped with sound advice. 

The worst part of this whole thing will be how good the polished area will look now, and the paint underneath the 2 unremoved strips will still be swirled.

I've been taking some pics along the way and will post up when finished.

Edited by washemup

Guest washemup

Ok, Just some pics to start with.

Original condition of paint with PPF on it. Swirled mess.

post-12794-0-34874900-1442692558_thumb.jpg

General condition of the rest of the paint on my car, my car is an un-garaged daily driver. It has been 6 months since last polishing was done. Probably 50 washes. The paint in this pic is of dirty paint, but you can see there is only a small spot of micro-marring. A testament to the lubricity of Adams Car Shampoo and Detail Spray. As well as the safety of HGG wet application.

post-12794-0-68141800-1442692856_thumb.jpg

Removal of PPF, very easy to do, once you get a corner up, just pull at a 45* angle.

post-12794-0-12861700-1442693068_thumb.jpg

Residue removal. Used Goo Gone. I would recommend using rapidtac as Darryl advised for faster removal.

post-12794-0-55548400-1442693271_thumb.jpg

post-12794-0-77662100-1442693310_thumb.jpg

Now I'm going to spray the area worked on with APC to remove any oils left by the Goo Gone then rinse well. May not get to polishing today. Worked 4 hours this morning at my regular job, spent 5 hours removing, Darryl's snot balls, sorry Darryl I couldn't resist. LOL. I did actually take a pic of them on the towel, but it looks kinda gross so thought it might not be a good pic to post!

OK decided not to wait till the AM. I found out I need some more aggressive pads for the mini than what I currently have, no problem though, grabbed big brother (Rupes 21) and he took care of the swirls like a champ.

post-12794-0-25328700-1442701576_thumb.jpg

Edited by washemup

Just for future reference.

There's another product called goof-off, comes in a small metal can similar to the old lighter fluid cans. It's a more industrial form of remover and whenever I've found goo-gone to not be working this stuff does. Had to remove some factory decals from an outboard and they left most of the adhesive on the fiberglass.

WD40 did nothing but create a mess

Varsol did nothing

Goo-Gone did nothing

Goof Off and some paper towel  (let it sit wet for a few minutes) lifted the adhesive off and didn't hurt the paint.

As always, start with the least aggressive (goo-gone) and work your way up, test in inconspicuous place, your mileage may very...

M

Guest washemup

Just for future reference.

There's another product called goof-off, comes in a small metal can similar to the old lighter fluid cans. It's a more industrial form of remover and whenever I've found goo-gone to not be working this stuff does. Had to remove some factory decals from an outboard and they left most of the adhesive on the fiberglass.

WD40 did nothing but create a mess

Varsol did nothing

Goo-Gone did nothing

Goof Off and some paper towel  (let it sit wet for a few minutes) lifted the adhesive off and didn't hurt the paint.

As always, start with the least aggressive (goo-gone) and work your way up, test in inconspicuous place, your mileage may very...

M

Being that the adhesive on my car was in an area where clear coats are the thinnest, (edges) the less aggressive product (Goo Gone) was the best option I had.

The PPF pro I spoke with (12 years experience) mentioned the Rapidtac as it is the industry standard for PPF adhesive removal. It's gentle on the paint but strong enough to remove it in 1 application.  

I have only done 1 fiberglass boat (detailed). It had gel-coat on it, not clear coat, which is what is generally put on boats. It's much thicker and harder then clear coat. This boat had oxidation and actually some ghosting from old decals, along with 1 decal the owner wanted removed. Since I had to use 2000 grit to remove the oxidation, I also used it to remove the ghosting and adhesive from the sticker I removed. Adhesive came off with ease.

I really believe the AMMO NYC method would have worked on this adhesive, had it been in an area that didn't have such thin paint. I didn't apply any pressure or use a speed above 3. It just wasn't enough to remove it and I wasn't taking any chances near edges. 

On adhesive residue in areas that have normal amount of clear coat after taking measurements, it's always done the job fast and with minimal marring of paint. Although I haven't tried it on softer paint. Only medium to hard paint.

I wasn't questioning your process, results, how many years experience someone had or try to compare gel-coat to paint.

Just wanted to give another product I've come across since you asked if "Anyone have success with anything else for tough to remove adhesive?"

M

Guest washemup

I wasn't questioning your process, results, how many years experience someone had or try to compare gel-coat to paint.

Just wanted to give another product I've come across since you asked if "Anyone have success with anything else for tough to remove adhesive?"

M

I didn't intend to imply you were questioning anything. Just can't really compare removing adhesive on clear coat that's near an edge vs gel-coat that's much thicker and harder. Not an apples to apples comparison. The Rapidtac suggested by Darryl is the standard product used by professional PPF installers, as also stated by the PPF pro I spoke with.

I am no pro at decal/PPF, and decal/PPF residue removal. I've done maybe 12 jobs, not counting my car, mostly dealership stickers or badges. I'm sure Darryl has done way more.

I also know I'm not smarter then 12 years of experience with PPF adhesive removal, so I always follow instructions from someone who is an expert at what they do. Nothing against Goof Off, but the pro's have tried all the different products, and that's why they know which products work best for which situation.

Goof Off may be great for removing adhesive on Gel-coat, but have you used it on clear coat to remove PPF adhesive on thin paint? Might be a different story, might not. Just have no way of knowing based upon what you used it on, versus what I needed to use it on.

Edited by washemup