Customer Service 866.965.0400

Thinking of upgrading my polisher

pirahnah3

Question

So I am thinking of upgrading from my PC polisher. 

It isnt that the PC isnt working for me, but I hear so much from all of you that I want to have a better polisher. 

I currently drive and polish an F250 Crew Cab, thou there is another full size sedan that is coming into the mix but lets not plan around that. 

I am currently considering the Cyclo but could be talked into a Rupes 21...

So lets hear it users of these, why do you like what you use and what do you think. 

25 answers to this question

Guest washemup

I cannot comment on the Cyclo as I have not used it. It does have an advantage over the Rupes 21 as is can get into areas that the Rupes cannot. The Rupes has better correction power as it has a 21mm orbit vs. the 15mm of the Cyclo. The Rupes also maxes out at 4000 opm vs. 3200 on the Cyclo.

With the 21, you will need another polisher for the smaller areas. Since you have a PC, you can set it up for smaller pads, but I believe the counterweight needs to be changed.

Cyclo is also warrantied by Adams with a lifetime guarantee. The Rupes has a 1 year warranty.

The Rupes runs very smooth with little to no vibration, and the Cyclo also is supposed to run vibration free.

I have the 21 and wish I had got it from the start having used the GG 6". Nothing wrong with he GG, the Rupes just corrects faster, better, and is more comfortable to use.

I really don't think you could go wrong with either, though if you decide on the Rupes, I'd wait until the new Mark II 21 comes out. Dylan seems to like the Mark II 15 the best, so that would also be another option for you.

I have all 3. Haha.

I started with the PC, but it just took way too much time to get the results I wanted, which caused more stress on my body from the vibration. So, I updraded to the Rupes 21, which is awesome at quick correction. Unfortunately, it does not perform well in small locations and curves. That is when Adam's started carrying and selling the Cyclo which was introduced during a 15% off sale, so it was only logical I buy a 3rd polisher. Lol. Honestly, unless I'm working on a vehicle that has a lot of large, flat panels, I will grab the Cyclo. It's so versatile and is well balanced. It won't walk around on you and it's easy to control. There is little to no vibration. It's a great all around machine. So, unless you want to continue to use the PC with the 4" pads for smaller locations, I would go with the Cyclo. I like the Rupes as well, especially for correction power, but I rarely pull it out because of the Cyclos versatility.

Guest washemup

The Cyclo only has a 3-year warranty.

The life-time warranty ended about a year ago:

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27247-power-tool-warranty-update/

On the "store" page when you click on "product details" it still states that it comes with the lifetime warranty. Maybe you could get the person at Adams who handles this to correct it? Thanks Dan. :)

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/polishing/adam-s-cyclo-model-5-pro-polisher.html

Edited by washemup

(And Jim quickly purchases a cycle and prints all the pages to note the discrepancy for the free warranty) 

Well as much as I would love that It aint honest, and well just wouldnt work...nor be cool to do to this great company. 

I have been really considering the cyclo and it is favoring it more after the last review, but I am still not counting out the Rupes, I am sure some more Rupes owners will come to say why it is the best. 

On the "store" page when you click on "product details" it still states that it comes with the lifetime warranty. Maybe you could get the person at Adams who handles this to correct it? Thanks Dan. :)

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/polishing/adam-s-cyclo-model-5-pro-polisher.html

Thanks for pointing that out.  I will let Matt know.

Cyclo is easy-peasy on the vertical panels. Here's some one-handed polishing action, so I could take the pic.

20150612_170755.jpg

Like mentioned above, the Cyclo can cover some area with the dual heads, but gets right into the tight spots without having to switch machines.

20150612_140017.jpg

The Rupes Mark II's are supposed to be 30% quicker in correction and work much better on the curved panels. Look at your vehicle and see how many small areas you have.  If they are numerous i would get the Cyclo, if they are few then either could work. Rupes now owns Cyclo so you will be in the family either way. :)

Edited by Feets31

Guest washemup

(And Jim quickly purchases a cycle and prints all the pages to note the discrepancy for the free warranty) 

Well as much as I would love that It aint honest, and well just wouldnt work...nor be cool to do to this great company. 

I have been really considering the cyclo and it is favoring it more after the last review, but I am still not counting out the Rupes, I am sure some more Rupes owners will come to say why it is the best. 

Just realize that what is best for someone else may not be the best for you.

I do detailing on the side, not a lot of full correction, maybe 1 per month. The time saved using the Rupes was my deciding factor. If I only had to maintain 1 or 2 vehicles, I probably would have just stayed with the GG.

The Cyclo is more versatile then just being able to get to smaller areas, you can put brushes on it and clean your carpet and bed liner in your truck. If you haven't seen it, Adam and Dylan made a good video on polisher selection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwd8mNcn66k

Jim,

The link below is from Adam's on the Cyclo and using it for correction and polishing.

If I were to recommend a polisher to you, it would be the Cyclo, as it meets all of he criteria you stated earlier, and would work out great for the F250 and the larger flat panel areas on that vehicle, as well as getting into the smaller places another machine wouldn't be able to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoAXn8Vjf3s

I've been using a cyclo for about a year now. I've polished about 6 cars with it and was honestly never happy with it. The process was slow and didn't seem to correct enough. I bought a flex last week from adams. My wife's 2013 gmc terrain had never been detailed other then 2 bucket washe's and clay. I finally tackled it this weekend and WOW!!!I love the flex. Way faster and cuts much better. By far the best job I've done so far. Vibration isn't bad either. Just make sure to keep hold of it and watch it around the curves. It can get away from you easily.

Edited by 2012srt8

Jim,

Kina' all depends on what you're looking to do with your upgrade; maintain a corrected finish, or use it for paint correction.

The PC you already have is great for maintenance, and with the smaller diameter backing plate and pads has a bit more bite for correction. Dang thing just vibrates like nobodies business.

The Cyclo will do everything the PC will do, perhaps a bit better, and with next to no vibration. The Cyclo can also move into tight areas you'd have to change to the 4" backing plate and pads for on the PC. The Cyclo using two 4" pads has a working area of about 9" vs. the smaller throw of the PC.

The Flex will correct faster than any other machine Adam offers right now. Put on a white foam pad and use PFP and it'll do a stellar job at maintaining an already corrected finish.

The Rupes Big Foot 15 and 21, I feel, fall in-between the PC/Cyclo and the Flex. On a large panel, like you'd have on your F250 Crew Cab, I'd tend to think the Big Foot 21 may be your best bet. It uses the larger pads and has a huge throw. With those pads, and the larger throw you'll get more done quicker, be it correction or maintenance.

You really can't go wrong with whatever you choose. I've got them all plus a high speed rotary and they all have their place in my detailing.

Hope this helps some...

Well, I think im as stuck as I was before lol. You all are giving such great feedback and support for these tools. Its tough making a decision about a product with not only the cost but in my case the lack of use of them. 

Come on you know you want a Cyclo and the Rupes Big Foot 15 and 21 you know you do you need to have them you cant live with out them lol

I'm going to go Rupes 15 or 21 with a Mini. Figured that'll be the best of both worlds.... Just have  to keep waiting for the right time to pull that trigger which for me will be after the new year.

Im starting to think the 21 and the Mini, but its alot to spend at one time for one vehicle...and I really dont have time to open up a detailing business. 

Which may push the choice of the cyclo up the ladder, but man that 21 just looks nice....ARRRRGGGG and its not even talk like a pirate day. 

Im starting to think the 21 and the Mini, but its alot to spend at one time for one vehicle...and I really dont have time to open up a detailing business. 

Which may push the choice of the cyclo up the ladder, but man that 21 just looks nice....ARRRRGGGG and its not even talk like a pirate day. 

Meh. I dont look at it that way. This is a hobby, and I want the right tool for the job. I only have 2 vehicles, and no intentions of a side business save for a few friends. But I want to enjoy it, and not rattle fillings out of my teeth or my hands into numbness. 

As the OP stating I also am in the market of a new polisher. I have a PC and a rotary I use occasionally. I've run the cyclo machines, yes they are mighty cumfy alike ridding a mid 80s plush couch down the road just don't feel a thing ever. But Rupes machines have caught my eyes lately, think I'm going to hold off til the mkII comes out and buy one of those. Whichever I buy Rupes or Flex machine I know I'll be happy.

Meh. I dont look at it that way. This is a hobby, and I want the right tool for the job. I only have 2 vehicles, and no intentions of a side business save for a few friends. But I want to enjoy it, and not rattle fillings out of my teeth or my hands into numbness. 

It's just another expensive hobby, I care for 5 vehicles often and have a system when the time comes. I have a "small" business i run myself a few weeks/weekends a month, usually run about 3-6 cars a month this time a year, slowing more when winter hits and in summer its usually around 10-12 a month, makes enough for me to have spending money and what not. Keep my prices fair so I have return customers and do a more than satisfactory job every time for clients, friends and family. I've liked this hobby alot sometimes to much.

Speaking about new polishers a rupes would be really nice for boats.... Did a full correction and such on a 21.5' bayliner capri in june. After countless hours it came out awesome. Total of 38 hours over 3 days for a fullish correction and top coats. Couldn't get to the hull covered by the bunks, so add another 5 hours or so. I don't know how many of you show interest in boats but there is a market for it and you dont have to worry about crazy angles of sheet metal! I'll take pictures of it the next time I wax it, probably next month before it gets winterized.