Customer Service 866.965.0400

Metro Vacuum Rusting

Kingsford

Question

The other day I emptied out my Metro Vacuum and noticed a significant amount of rust on the inside of the canister and on the outside of the bag. Has anyone else ever experienced this issue?

I rarely use my vacuum, so I don't check it that ofter. It's probably 3-5 years old, I'd have to look it up to be sure. I never use it on wet surfaces since it's not a wet-vac. I'm assuming the problem comes from humidity since thats the only thing I can think of. I'm also thinking maybe condensation from using it in cooler weather and the motor getting warm.

Again, is this a common issue? Will Metro do anything about this? Eventually it's going to rust through.

427052E0-90D5-44AD-98C8-F77590BF8BFA.jpg

95D0C100-EEF4-488F-921D-6361CAFA2DD4.jpg

FBD68C0E-5205-447E-862F-4A48B4220350.jpg

827FA915-59D5-43DE-A48E-21FBFE838DBD.jpg

24 answers to this question

This was my response from Metro... Kind of disappointed. Not sure how I'm supposed to spray the inside of a 3 1/2 foot vacuum.

"I’m not sure what has caused the rust you are seeing.  It’s possible that the humidity and maybe condensation could have affected that area of the dust collection area.  You can “hit” the inside with some rustoleum if you want but it won’t be an issue."

For a $300 vacuum I expected a little better answer than that.

Hey Jason, do you have the part number for that Jumbo Vacuum or the order invoice from when you purchased it from us? Ben and I want to look into it for you and help you out. I can't find your account in our system. Thanks!

I only have the Master Blaster and not a vacuum from Metro, so I can't offer too much on this one. Was this purchased from Adam's back when we sold the Vac 'N Blo a few years back? It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks larger than the Vac 'N Blo. I can try to contact Metro in the morning to find out for you if you want.

I agree with piranha, sometimes the stuff we suck up from the carpets has some moisture on it (say if you are vaccuuming after a rainy day and some moisture on your carpets which doesnt mean its wet) and then the moist dust/dirt is stuck to the inside of that tube.

Curious to hear how it turns out - I don't have a Vac N Blow (too heavy IMO) however I love my Sidekick and wouldn't hesitate to buy any Metro product, great service and built well here in the US.  But my Ridgid just smiles at me from my shelf and I beat the hell out of that vaccuum.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

This was my response from Metro... Kind of disappointed. Not sure how I'm supposed to spray the inside of a 3 1/2 foot vacuum.

"I’m not sure what has caused the rust you are seeing.  It’s possible that the humidity and maybe condensation could have affected that area of the dust collection area.  You can “hit” the inside with some rustoleum if you want but it won’t be an issue."

For a $300 vacuum I expected a little better answer than that.

Edited by Kingsford

it would be hard to tell how you have used the machine over the last four years and the pictures look like it had been left somewhere for awhile.  That doesn't look the beginning of rusting, but something that has been going on for awhile. 

Now maybe it did just start and took off like a banshee. But I can see their thought process.  They do not know where you let it set or how you have been using it.  So they look at the pictures and think that is excessive.

i use to be a claims adjuster and the damage is just too much sometimes to overlook it and side with the property owner even when you want to believe their story. 

Edited by Feets31

Hung on a wall in my garage since the day I bought it. I think I've only had to empty it 2-3 times, thats how much I've used it. I never used it on damp or wet carpet (always felt it before starting an interior detail) because I know it wasn't meant to be a wet vac and I spent a ton of money on it. For $300 you'd think this thing would be a tank but a plastic $40 wall hanging Shop-Vac does the same thing.

I know I'll never buy a Metro Vac again if this is what happens when you leave it in a garage and barely use it.

God knows what the motor looks like, I don't think I can even get to it because the end cap is riveted on

Sheesh!  Sad to see...that is an expensive rusted out vacuum.  

Out of curiosity, is there any harm in using the blower feature of a shop vac to do the same thing a metro blaster does?  Currently I use an electric yard work blower, but the shop vac probably would be more precise and not some cumbersome. 

Edited by MaStA

Out of curiosity, is there any harm in using the blower feature of a shop vac to do the same thing a metro blaster does?  Currently I use an electric yard work blower, but the shop vac probably would be more precise and not some cumbersome. 

I've always been worried to use the blow feature on a vacuum. Feel like not all dust is caught by the filter. My vacuum would probably sandblast it with rust particles. I use a Sidekick to dry my truck, only draw back is the extension cord.

Yes. Turn the blower on and see how much dust comes out. The only way  I would CONSIDER that is if it was a detachable blower and you had a dedicated hose that you used ONLY for blowing. 

Being well taken care of by Dan!

Meanwhile while I'm looking for a new vacuum, does anyone have any recommendations for a Wet/Dry Vac for the garage? Looking for a wall mount vacuum.

This is what I'm leaning toward:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/janitorial-maintenance/floor-care/vacuums-wall-mount/shopvac-wall-mount-vacuum

Being well taken care of by Dan!

Meanwhile while I'm looking for a new vacuum, does anyone have any recommendations for a Wet/Dry Vac for the garage? Looking for a wall mount vacuum.

This is what I'm leaning toward:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/janitorial-maintenance/floor-care/vacuums-wall-mount/shopvac-wall-mount-vacuum

Something plastic.   :lolsmack:

i'm kind of disappointed about metrovac's response to this one.... Especially since I was starting to consider the new blower but live in a humid environment.

Speaking of metrovac's response, what has the Adam's team been able to do for you so far?

Edited by NG13

After seeing this thread, got me worried that I better check mine for rust. Pulled the filter and just a small line of rust down the seam on the inside and a few fasteners had light rust. Sprayed the areas of rust with fluid film

http://www.fluid-film.com

Should stop the rust in its tracks from spreading, use this stuff all the time throughout the year on rusty parts on vehicles

This problem started my thinking.  How often do you change the bags in this vacuum?  

The bag is reusable. I empty it in the garbage, take it outback and shake it out. Then I vacuum it with another vacuum.

The filters should be changed once a year, sometimes sooner depending on how much you use it.