Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Car Help keeping it up.

whodat225

Question

Ok i have an infiniti Q50, black. Black is my favorite color i love it! but We all know that black is the best and worst at the same time. I noticed that i have a few swirl marks on it from not washing it properly n bring it through a car wash. When i first got it, i knew nothing about the dangers of a car wash either did i know about the two bucket system. Now since i was introduced to Adams, i fell in love with cleaning cars lol. Anyway. My question is, Do i use the two paint correction then wax/seal it? or do i have to remove all old wax, then use the paint correction and then wax/seal? please help..i want her to stay beautiful..

post-13949-0-67395100-1455251221_thumb.jpeg

23 answers to this question

Definitely go ahead and do a strip wash, it just takes a few seconds longer to add the ALl Purpose Cleaner to your wash bucket but will aid in the removal of old product on your vehicle. If you have no serious swirls or scratches, revive followed by some brilliant glaze and your choice of sealant/wax will be good enough. Orange is for heavier correction, so you may not need it being that your vehicle is nearly new. if you can, go ahead and post some close up pictures of your paint so we can get a good idea of its condition and advise you properly!

and can this be done by hand or should i use a machine?

You can definitely do it by hand.  You will get better results with the machine if you have heavy swirls and minor scratches, but like James said, Revive is great for black cars along with Brilliant Glaze.  

About how much all purpose cleaner? And do I still wash it with the shampoo? That may be a crazy question.. thanks Matt! When dirty, it's dirty, but when it's clean? It's the cleanest car on the road!

Just add 2-3 oz of the APC to your regular wash bucket with the car shampoo in it. The wash will be the same just with the APC in addition! Try not to let it dry on your paint though; if needed, wash a section then rinse, wash another section and rinse, etc.

Guest washemup

I had spotting from Megs Ultimate QD as well. Clay will remove them, or a 50/50 distilled white vinegar and water solution.

I agree to strip wash, add a few ounces of APC to your wash bucket. Don't allow to dry on paint, rinse well.

I spot polished a 2014 Infinity, paint was soft, it measured out great though, having 230-250 microns of paint, so you can polish your car many times without thinning out the clear too much. 

The Orange and White foam pads should do fine if yours is the same (soft paint).

I would also prep the surface for sealant after you polish with either CarPro Eraser or a 10-15% IPA wipe down. This will remove any oils or residues left. Giving your sealant the best possible surface to bond to.

Adams LPS is very user friendly, and the black licorice smell matches your car as well!

If you accidently get any of the LPS on trim, no worries, after it dries use a pencil eraser for easy removal.

If you haven't selected a polisher yet, I'd recommend a Rupes, fast correction, achieves high gloss, easy to use and easy on your body. You can actually polish the horizontal areas with one hand.

Edited by washemup

No need polish unless it is not shining to your expectations.  Most do a full correction once, then a touch-up polish in the spring.

If you are planning to apply LPS, then a 'strip' wash is best.  Add 2-3 oz. of APC to your regular wash bucket and wash as usual.  Also a good idea to strip wash it you are polishing too.

First thing I would recommend is watching the Adam's video's, start right at the the begining It will answer every question you have asked and show you exactly how to to it as well, it will give you the confidence to move forward. You'll be surprised how easy it is once you get started.

And as Chris said, do yourself a favor and buy a polisher. With a black car you will get the return on your investment ;)

And with proper wash technique you may only need to polish once a year. BUt black can be like having a part time job, ask me how i know lol

Anyways, welcome to AF and enjoy the shine  :patriot:  :patriot:  :patriot:

The videos

http://adamspolishes.com/video

Edited by Bill-V8V

Our Liquid Paint Sealant is the most durable form of protection that we offer, but you can still have swirl marks return after sealing due to improper washing and drying of the vehicle. This is especially true on black and other dark colored vehicles, as the swirl marks stand out more easily when the sun catches them. Even new technology advancements like some ceramic coatings will reduce the chance of introducing new scratches or swirl marks, but they can still occur.

Well said Dan, and unfortunately just taking a black vehicle out of the garage seems to create a few swirls lol

But adding a nice coat of wax over the sealant can't hurt.

Just trying to help set the proper expectations, having a black vehicle as a daily driver takes more upkeep than say a white vehicle that can hide a good deal of imperfections.