Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint correction with Quantum Paint Sealant???

Milt IV

Question

Are there any additional steps that need to be taken for paint correction on a vehicle that has Quantum Paint Sealant applied? I recently bought a 2016 Silverado and the dealership had already applied this "hard" paint sealant. 

I want to get all the contamination out of the paint, polish, and do my own seal. So will paint correction polish and an orange microfiber pad be a good starting point or do I have to do something else to get this Quantum stuff off?

11 answers to this question

First things first...

At initial glance it seems like this product COULD fall in line with a category of products called coatings, which is the only way I think they could claim a 5 year life. 

If you polish the truck, you're going to be polishing this stuff off and starting from a blank slate so to speak. Sounds like that's your intentions, though. 

John you prob shouldn't link the product - Dan will prob clean it up - I've made that mistake back in the day as well -

HOWEVER - I hate to break it to you OP but the dealer sold you a nice upsell, what was it for, about $500+?  Or "built into the price"?  Its a money making scheme by the dealership and is only warrantied if you regularly bring it to the dealer and pay for maintenance most likely.  Which means they will just add another coat of sealant.

I hope you didn't pay extra for it but from what I can tell its a dealer money maker and not a true respected nano coating.

NINJA EDIT:  I read the brochure on their site, its just a normal polymer sealant, nothing special.  It will need to be reapplied especially to hit a 5 year warranty mark LOL - and that "warranty" is probably only for clear coat failure.  Because for most people they sell it to they figure they may only wax their cars once a year, if at all, and run it through the auto wash once a month, so they have to warranty the time in which the owner won't have clear coat failure.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

John you prob shouldn't link the product - Dan will prob clean it up - I've made that mistake back in the day as well 

It's not an end user available product, and can not be directly purchased from the website, so I didn't think it was an issue. I'll remove it anyhow... Lead by example right?

I tend to agree with your assessment however. 

It's like the tube of lusterizing sealant I have in my glovebox that came with my car's Platnium Paint Protection that I didn't pay for. 

The warranty is you have to apply it twice a year for the length of the warranty. How do they verify that? The replacement can only be picked up at the dealership and they ask for your VIN number when you go in.If you go in to claim the warranty, and they see you havent gotten any extra tubes, then the "out of warranty" flag comes out. 
Edited by stripesace

Unfortunately as others have stated, this is just a dealership money making scheme. It is nothing more than a sealant that they likely take 20 minutes to apply before you drive off in your new vehicle. I've seen dealers charge over a grand for the service. What you're paying for is a warranty that is typically only good if you take it in for maintenance. 

Hopefully you didn't pay for it, but if you did: my suggestion is to just strip it off and use your own products as they'll be far better. 

Thanks for the insight guys. I knew somebody here would know more about it than I did. I didn't pay extra for it nor did I ask for it. The dealership I bought the truck from has it applied already to all the upper level trucks, corvettes, and camaros. I figured it was just a BS gimmick, but I didn't have a choice.

That being said, my intention is to remove it. I'm going to do an isopropyl wipe down, clay, then paint correction and polish, and finish with a seal. As we all know brand new factory paint is far from perfect. I can see some minor swirls under this "coating" that I assume came from the weekly lot wash before the coating was applied.

Thanks for the insight guys. I knew somebody here would know more about it than I did. I didn't pay extra for it nor did I ask for it. The dealership I bought the truck from has it applied already to all the upper level trucks, corvettes, and camaros. I figured it was just a BS gimmick, but I didn't have a choice.

You paid for it in some way, they didn't just put it on for free - it was built into the price you paid or it was on your sales sheet somewhere buried in the fees and taxes - similar to "window vin etching", etc - Although I'm sure you got a good deal to offset the added cost - but yes, strip it down with a strip wash and decontaminate and protect with your own products.

That being said, my intention is to remove it. I'm going to do an isopropyl wipe down, clay, then paint correction and polish, and finish with a seal. As we all know brand new factory paint is far from perfect. I can see some minor swirls under this "coating" that I assume came from the weekly lot wash before the coating was applied.

Since you are going to polish I would skip the initial IPA wipe down.  The polish will ensure that it is removed. 

Since you are going to polish I would skip the initial IPA wipe down.  The polish will ensure that it is removed. 

Good idea. Save myself a step. Just wasn't sure if the paint correction polish would remove the Quantum sealant. Thanks for the info.