Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wheel cleaner not turning purple?

clg82

Question

I like to think I keep my chrome ZO6 wheels pretty clean.  So my question is if I use Wheel Cleaner on them and I don't see it turn purple does that mean they aren't dirty enough to even consider wasting wheel cleaner on?  And if that's the case what do I use to keep the chrome rims sparkling without using wheel cleaner?

11 answers to this question

It does not mean they are not dirty, just not much metallic brake dust to get the color to activate.

Many use Car Wash Shampoo in a spray bottle for not too dirty wheels.  I added a foaming sprayer to my bottle, and take a cupful or so of my wash solution and add it to my 'wheel spray' bottle each wash.  We don't have any Euro cars in our house, so this is about all I need to keep the wheels clean.

An older pic when Adam's offered 36 oz. bottle and a foaming sprayer:

premixedCarWash010.jpg

Hmm interesting mc2hill....I appreciate the suggestion....maybe a spray down with my foam gun would be enough for the chrome....you ever use paint sealant on chrome?  just curious as too how that would react to the chrome...

I routinely use Car Shampoo to wash wheels if they do not have heavy brake dust buildup; however, I do this as part of a 3 Bucket Wash, with a separate bucket specifically for wheels and wheel brushes, so that I'm never introducing any brake dust particles into my 2 regular Soap and Rinse Buckets. For me, Deep Wheel Cleaner or our new Wheel Cleaner gets used when the wheels have considerable amounts of brake dust and other dirt.

Paint Sealant and H2O Guard & Gloss can both be applied to chrome wheels. The cleaner the wheel surface is prepped first, the easier it will be to apply and remove.