Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint sealant procedure

DaRealDeal

Question

Hello,

Hope nobody minds me asking this but could not find a clear answer to my question in the forum.

A few details;

Live I Chicago - gets very cold, snow & ice in winter.

Picked up a 2015 Accoed 10 months ago - new.

Black in color.

Have done nothing to it up to this other than two-bucket hand washings, micro fiber drying plus detail spray.

Winter around the corner, I'm interested in a good coat of protection.

Thinking about laying paint sealant but need to know if claying is necessary before the paint sealant considering the age of the car.

Should anyone here have better suggestions than my plan, please by all means, I welcome them.

Thank you for your time.

14 answers to this question

You can skip the compound/polish. Thats personal preference but if you have a lot of swirl marks and you're already doing clay and laying down sealant if it was me I would do the polish and get rid of the swirls might as well go all in. Then you can put some brilliant glaze after the sealant then Americana. I guarantee you! You will see a whole new shine in your vehicle!

Do the baggie test to verify you need to clay.   Clean the paint, then place a plastic bag on you hand and feel the paint.  The bag magnifies the imperfections on the surface.  If it feels smooth you can skip the clay step.

Not directly related to the original question, but I didn't want to start a new topic...

Is LPS not being made in 16oz bottle anymore?  I only see it in the 8oz version.

They deemed it was a product that you rarely use, and thus should be offered in a smaller bottle so they could offer a better price point, and not have it sit on your shelf for years.

I use the red hex applicator by hand. Black pad on machine. I typically do the red pad first, getting near all the tight places  I dont want the machine pad to touch. I go around the whole car. And then I come back around with the machine and do all the big pads. I use the rupes mark II on speed 1 or 2 and keep the machine moving to keep it thin. Let it sit overnight or for a few hours and then come back and wipe it off, usually like there's nothing on the paint. The depth of shine you get when you first buff it off..... WOW.