Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Bed Rails/Fender Flares/Cowl

Flip

Question

I have an '04 F150 that looks pretty good but shows its age in it's plastic.  

Anyone ever replace the black plastic bed rails on their truck?  How did it go for you?

Have a bit of rust on one of the rear fenders.  Rather than repair it, I think it would be cheaper to slap some fender flares over the rust.  Anyone have an opinion on that?  good or bad?  It's not a lot of rust.  

My windshield wiper cowl looks terribly faded.  Anyone every change one of those?

Once I get these things installed, I plan on treating it with VRT.  My truck has just over 100k miles.  I could just let it go, but I want it to look nice again.  It's also going to get a full detail pretty soon.  I'm just not quite ready for a new truck yet, financially anyway.  I could have this for a few more years so that justifies me putting a little money into it.   

15 answers to this question

Thanks everyone!

How do i stop the rust?

Basically get rid of the existing rust and then seal the surface to prevent new rust. Blast/grind/sand the area until the rust is gone. Fill with "Bondo" and the "paint". This doesn't have to be pretty, especially if you cover with flares.

There are products that claim to convert rust to a protective coating...I haven't used one that worked super well...quick and dirty, but I'm not so sure about long term benefit. 

Thanks everyone!

How do i stop the rust?

If you are covering the rust with fender flares get some POR15. You paint it on and It will treat the rust in a way that it will not spread further. Just remember to get inside and outside or you will be wasting your time.

I have personally used POR15 on multiple rusty things and I am very satisfied with it.

Edited by gabhart

VRT is working vey nicely.  I really did not think it would have much of an effect being that the black plastic was basically white.  3 applications on the bed caps so far have made quite an improvement.  Of course they do not look brand new, but at least they almost black now.  The cowl, although banged up, looks much better after one application.  I'll take these results on a 12 year old truck.  

The VRT I got in one of my mystery boxes is going to save me a few hundred bucks.