Customer Service 866.965.0400

Protecting new tires to be placed in storage

rrpalma

Question

Hello,

I just received a new set of wheels with its (also new) mounted tires. These were bought before I knew I was going overseas for 12 to 18 months, so now I need to place them in storage.

I was thinking on putting some wax on the wheels, and some VRT on the tires, but then read on tirerack and some other online forums that the best way to store wheels with mounted tires is to place them flat inside  dark garbage bags, with as little air as possible, and to not put any dressing on the tires.

Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks for reading.

10 answers to this question

Here's how my spare wheels and tires are stored.

One set is filled with Nitrogen

Two other sets are filled with air from my filtered, dryer installed air compressor.

I want no moisture inside the tires and they're over filled to the tire manufacturer's max psi.

IMG_0665resize_zpsr4zl0ofd.jpg

The tires are scrubbed clean; front, back and treads.

VRT is liberally applied to all exposed rubber.

Wheels are cleaned; face, and barrel.

Sealant is applied to the wheels.

They are stored stacked, in the basement where they are out of the light, temperature controlled and away from any ozone creating electronics, with cardboard in-between each wheel/tire.

IMG_0824resize_zpsyqjetmfn.jpg

IMG_0825resize_zpshx6lkjia.jpg

If you put them in a bag, don't apply VRT because it will generate moisture. If you leave them out in the open, apply VRT

I'd leave them in the open. If you seal them in a bag moisture can accumulate from many different ways. Even though they are new, VRT will prevent any dry rot and keep them looking nice.

Edited by Kingsford

Hello,

I just received a new set of wheels with its (also new) mounted tires. These were bought before I knew I was going overseas for 12 to 18 months, so now I need to place them in storage.

I was thinking on putting some wax on the wheels, and some VRT on the tires, but then read on tirerack and some other online forums that the best way to store wheels with mounted tires is to place them flat inside  dark garbage bags, with as little air as possible, and to not put any dressing on the tires.

Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks for reading.

I did a little searching but you probably already left for over seas but if you haven't here is a link with all the info you will need for storing your tires.

http://www.tirebuyer.com/education/storing-tires-for-longer-life