Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adam's Polishes Paint Correction Series - How To Get Your Paint Perfect!

Dan@Adams

Question

25 answers to this question

I find it really hard to understand why you would take 4 steps to "perfect" your paint (if these products can cut well enough) when you can spend half the money and half the time by doing 2 steps with another brand of compounds and polishes that are way more tried and true than the Adam's system. The fact that Adam's is on their third round of "new" pads in the last year worries me in the sense that one competitors (not saying who) haven't changed their pads in years and professionals from all around the world still use them daily. 

I find it really hard to understand why you would take 4 steps to "perfect" your paint (if these products can cut well enough) when you can spend half the money and half the time by doing 2 steps with another brand of compounds and polishes that are way more tried and true than the Adam's system. The fact that Adam's is on their third round of "new" pads in the last year worries me in the sense that one competitors (not saying who) haven't changed their pads in years and professionals from all around the world still use them daily. 

Hopefully someone from Adam's will chime in on the constant varying of the pads as well.  I've noticed that the pads are constantly being updated.  I haven't noticed a huge difference in the final result when using different versions of the pads (I don't have them all).  

I can also kind of understand why one wouldn't take the four steps to "perfect" your paint as you say when there are similar two step systems out there.  The thing that having more steps to really get the process down does offer is the ability to really choose a least aggressive process without being too aggressive.  I have a car coming in on Friday that I'm going to try just the heavy correcting compound on followed by the correcting compound.  I'm going to see if that's a better two step process for most vehicles and save the finishing polish and the two steps of heavy for the true show car finish.  

All of that being said, you do raise some valid points.  I'm curious how this discussion will go and what thoughts others have, including Adam's staff.

Well, if you've found something that works better for you, then by all means... 

To my knowledge, the only pads that changed from last update to the "gen 6" pads is the blue heavy cut pad and new microfiber pad. the correcting pad and finishing pad are still the same as they were when the gen 6 system was released this past February. At that same time, the correcting and finishing polish formulas were simply moved to 8oz bottles. This is the first acknowledged formula change on Correcting and Finishing polishes I recall reading from the last 2 years. 

To each their own. As for me, neither of my vehicles will need heavy cut, and the current(or now previous) correcting polish and finishing polish formulas with the Gen 5 pads suit my needs just fine.

I can see the argument of why so many changes, why don't they just get it right the first time, what do they need so many steps. These products are designed for regular customers, not professionals with tons of experience. They are for people that might have never maintained a finish or not to the level of correcting swirls and scratches. They are for people with new car or old cars, single stage paint or base/clear. There are so many steps and options to offer a product that can work well for everyone.

I see the new products and changes to current ones as innovation. They are trying to incorporate changes to the industry as that what the ever-changing customer base demands. From my experience they have never brought out a product that doesn't work or can't be backed by the guarantee. If this was a line intended for professional shops it might be less diverse and would have had less change over time, but with the innumerable combinations of experience and vehicle condition they have to have as many options to get each individual perfect results.

as always: IMHO, YMMV and any other acronym for this is what I think and in no way steps on you opinion  :)

Edited by PacificNWBuckeye

Good to know. I have two black Toyota daily drivers so I don't need show quality perfect, but I would like to improve it. Toyota paint/clear coat seems pretty easily swirled and scratched

For Black, one stepping with the orange correcting polish is going to be difficult. In my experiment on a rental Rav4 i had, yes, the Toyota black paint is extremely soft.  All black paints are going to be somewhat softer in nature due to all the pigments in the paint to get the color.

Both of my Toyotas are Pre-dawn Grey Mica and with proper washing techniques are relatively easy to keep healthy looking.

Its not hard to understand why there would be four steps, if you take the time to figure out what each polish/pad is intended to do.

How many steps that it takes to "perfect" your paint entirely depends on the original condition of the paint, what you want the end result to be, and how much time you want to spend on it.

Just because there are now three polishes and four pads does not mean that you have to use all four steps on every vehicle.

Other than some minor changes to CP and FP, these polishes perform the same function as before, and can be used quite effectively for a two-step correction.  The purpose of adding the Heavy Correcting Compound, Blue Foam Cutting Pad and Blue Microfiber Cutting Pad was for efficiency in those instance where there is severe damage to the paint.  While severe damage can still be corrected with CP and the Orange Foam Pads, the heavier cut of this new polish and new pads saves time.

As far as the changes in the pads, with the advances in machine polishers, specifically the increased power of the long-throw machines, pads are evolving to meet these increased demands.  Any company that has not changed their pads in years is falling behind.

For Black, one stepping with the orange correcting polish is going to be difficult. In my experiment on a rental Rav4 i had, yes, the Toyota black paint is extremely soft.  All black paints are going to be somewhat softer in nature due to all the pigments in the paint to get the color.

Both of my Toyotas are Pre-dawn Grey Mica and with proper washing techniques are relatively easy to keep healthy looking.

So you are probably suggesting the Correcting and then the finishing polishes I would guess.

So you are probably suggesting the Correcting and then the finishing polishes I would guess.

For black paint, I think you're going to have to be really good and a little lucky to not need to finish it off with finishing polish. 

at least that was my experience with the Rav4. 

sounds like u need a master blaster :). Maybe try some diluted rinseless for detail spray.are u using adams microfibers?

I always use diluted rinseless or detail spray or g&g and quality Korean microfibers.  Its also hard to tell if my towels are adding a ton or just a few here and there as I had the high quality dealer installed swirls when I picked it up new. LOL.  planning to get a polisher before spring and get it polished out and then asses my washing and drying techniques from there.

sounds like u need a master blaster :). Maybe try some diluted rinseless for detail spray.are u using adams microfibers?

This.  As much of an investment as it was, it's become one of my favorite tools.  It's not necessarily a time saver, but I don't have to touch my car with a towel anywhere near as much (you'll still have to wipe here and there).  It's great for getting water out of trim.  I also use air when I clean interiors to get rid of loose debris.  The more I use it, the more I like it and wonder why I waited so long to order one.