Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic Boost vs H20 GG

scottkalbfeld

Question

I currently do not have the ceramic coating and was wondering how the ceramic boost compares to the H20 GG.

I gave H20 on my car now and am thinking about buying the ceramic boost as a stand alone product. Im not to concerned about protection because I already have LPS on the car. Just looking for the best pop out of these 2 products. Thanks.

15 answers to this question

There is precious little being posted about the Ceramic Boost as a standalone product...hopefully as time passes this will change.

With the recent addition of several new products, there are enough additional combinations that is has become less than obvious what enhance/protect product to use.

Very recently I talked to Dan Wolf about this, and he said the Ceramic Boost is silica based, similar to the Wash and Wax, but CAN be used as a standalone sealant. However, LPS and HGG are acrylic polymer sealants.

Very recently I talked to Dan Wolf about this, and he said the Ceramic Boost is silica based, similar to the Wash and Wax, but CAN be used as a standalone sealant. However, LPS and HGG are acrylic polymer sealants.

So does that mean Ceramic Boost followed by Wash and Wax is the best combination? Or is PS and HGG still the go to combination? (I won't complicate this with coatings, wax, glaze...for now.  :D )

Edited by LT1xL82

Right now I have LPS and H2O GG. I have Ceramic boost but don't know what the proper thing to do. Do I strip wash and apply only the ceramic boost? Can I put it over the H20 GG (which is about 2 months old and needs a recoating so there prob isn't a whole lot left on the paint). 

So does that mean Ceramic Boost followed by Wash and Wax is the best combination? Or is PS and HGG still the go to combination? (I won't complicate this with coatings, wax, glaze...for now.  :D )

Your guess is as good as mine :P I was asking for a friend if the ceramic boost could be used as a standalone sealant. For layering and further details, we need an adams pro in here

If you are using synthetic polymers whether they be acrylic or silica then follow the same standard rules - try to use your strongest layer as the base protection (Paint Sealant), and you can boost protection with the Ceramic Boost spray or Guard and Gloss -

Although now that its released considering you can boost protection with the Ceramic Spray without water, multiple towels, and as simple as wiping down on all surfaces, its kind of a no brainer.

However I will say - silica does NOT like waxes, and waxes WILL alter the water behavior and hydrophobic properties of silica sealants and coatings - if your are using the coating or Ceramic Boost do not use other products on top of it as you are defeating the purpose of the coating or the silica protection.

... if your are using the coating or Ceramic Boost do not use other products on top of it as you are defeating the purpose of the coating or the silica protection.

Is using Wash and Wax an exception to this?

Is using Wash and Wax an exception to this?

No - the "wax" name is more name recognition marketing because its an easy name to attach to protection - the protection in "Wash and Wax" is silica based I believe per the video so it should work well as a maintenance wash for vehicles protected with the coating + boost or just the boost product -

I guess I didn't ask my question very clearly. (A problem that gets worse for me as my spouse ages.  :D )

Anyway, you are saying W&W would be an acceptable product to use on top of Ceramic Boost...that just might work very well for me...Ceramic Boost as a sealant and W&W as a maintenance wash.

Edited by LT1xL82

One of the things I still like about G&G is I'm saving a step with being able to apply it as I am drying. So it's better on most detailing customer jobs I do. Along with being able to spray everything including the glass with it.

Ok here we go...buckle up...lol...

I currently do not have the ceramic coating and was wondering how the ceramic boost compares to the H20 GG.

I gave H20 on my car now and am thinking about buying the ceramic boost as a stand alone product. Im not to concerned about protection because I already have LPS on the car. Just looking for the best pop out of these 2 products. Thanks.

For best 'pop' out of these two products, that will be hard to say, but I have been very impressed with Ceramic Boost, and H2o Guard has been my favorite product of ours for quite some time now. Ceramic Boost will be more durable and last longer per application than HGG with even more hydrophobic water repelling characteristics; however, for best results, it works the easiest when applying it to a clean, dry surface - like you would apply Detail Spray in the garage or at a car show. Ceramic Boost does not play nice with windshield glass, so I would not recommend using a wet application like HGG

Curious to see responses as well.  I also have LPS on mine and would love to see what recommendations you guys have for layering

If you already have LPS on your vehicle, you can add to that protection and shine with Ceramic Boost, like you would with HGG. I would not recommend layering a sealant or wax on top of the Ceramic Boost, as it's unnecessary and will impact the already mentioned hydrophobic properties of Ceramic Boost.

There is precious little being posted about the Ceramic Boost as a standalone product...hopefully as time passes this will change.

With the recent addition of several new products, there are enough additional combinations that is has become less than obvious what enhance/protect product to use.

I do apologize but Ceramic Boost is still a very new product. I've used it on two friend's vehicles as a standalone in addition to testing on my vehicles, and I really really like the product. It does require a little more effort to apply properly as mentioned in other threads, just like HGG has certain application techniques, but for the most part you can spray it on and wipe it off of painted surfaces just like you would use Detail Spray. Think of it like a Detail Spray turned up to Volume 11.

Ceramic Boost is mainly intended for vehicles that will have our ceramic Paint Coating on them, so in most cases it would be Machine Polish > Paint Coating > Ceramic Boost > Wash & Wax; however it can be used without the coating too, so you could also do Paint Sealant > Ceramic Boost, or Paint Sealant > HGG > Ceramic Boost, and so on. As Ricky Bobby mentions below, putting protection like Buttery Wax, Americana, or Brilliant Glaze on top of Ceramic Boost will impact how Boost is intended to work.

Like we've said for years though, you will want to be aware that layering too many different products is not usually a great idea, as it can eventually give less shine and result in a cloudy appearance to the paint finish. I try to keep the rule of no more than 3 layers of products at a time, i.e. Paint Sealant > Brilliant Glaze > Americana, or Paint Sealant > HGG, or Paint Coating > Ceramic Boost, and so on.

The product line is expanding for different options for different customers, but that does not mean that every single product should be layered in some fashion :) Some people will still prefer Brilliant Glaze and Americana for a show car, some people will want a ceramic Paint Coating for the strongest possible protection and life span per application, and others may not want to spend that much money on a ceramic coating, so an option like Paint Sealant with HGG will still give excellent shine and protection for 4-6 months or so.

Right now I have LPS and H2O GG. I have Ceramic boost but don't know what the proper thing to do. Do I strip wash and apply only the ceramic boost? Can I put it over the H20 GG (which is about 2 months old and needs a recoating so there prob isn't a whole lot left on the paint). 

No need to do a strip wash if the HGG has already been on there 2 months. You could apply the Ceramic Boost right over top after washing and drying. Or you could put a new layer of HGG down when drying and then apply Ceramic Boost afterward or the next day, etc, but the layer of HGG is redundant in my mind.

Your guess is as good as mine :P I was asking for a friend if the ceramic boost could be used as a standalone sealant. For layering and further details, we need an adams pro in here

Please see responses above :)

Totally agree.

Sorry, been pretty busy the last week with prepping new things and then traveling out to HQ and I did not see all of the replies to this thread :)

If you are using synthetic polymers whether they be acrylic or silica then follow the same standard rules - try to use your strongest layer as the base protection (Paint Sealant), and you can boost protection with the Ceramic Boost spray or Guard and Gloss -

Although now that its released considering you can boost protection with the Ceramic Spray without water, multiple towels, and as simple as wiping down on all surfaces, its kind of a no brainer.

However I will say - silica does NOT like waxes, and waxes WILL alter the water behavior and hydrophobic properties of silica sealants and coatings - if your are using the coating or Ceramic Boost do not use other products on top of it as you are defeating the purpose of the coating or the silica protection.

Bingo.

I guess I didn't ask my question very clearly. (A problem that gets worse for me as my spouse ages.  :D )

Anyway, you are saying W&W would be an acceptable product to use on top of Ceramic Boost...that just might work very well for me...Ceramic Boost as a sealant and W&W as a maintenance wash.

Wash & Wax would be great to use with our Paint Coating and Ceramic Boost since they're all in the same family of products. Our regular blue Car Shampoo will work fine too.

One of the things I still like about G&G is I'm saving a step with being able to apply it as I am drying. So it's better on most detailing customer jobs I do. Along with being able to spray everything including the glass with it.

Yep, HGG is awesome in that regard, but as mentioned above, do not use Ceramic Boost on glass.