Customer Service 866.965.0400

Do you even prime, bro?

Jason S.

Question

22 answers to this question

I have always been curious about this as well. I normally always use foam pads and I only prime with 3 dots like The Junkman. But when I use MF pads I butter them up. I am not comfortable using MF pads yet either.

I use a little bit of polish, a shot or two of detail spray and then I spread it around the panel and go to town. Once the pads have a decent amount of polish in them, there's no need for repeating the detail spray.

Out of curiosity what is it that has you uncomfortable about using the microfiber pads? Technique is the same. You just have to brush the fibers up from time to time once they flatten out. It's an added step that offers a better cut than foam pads. So microfiber pad and correcting polish followed by foam pad and correcting polish and then a foam pad with finishing polish. This same procedure will hold true with the new heavy correcting polish.

Simply start with the least aggressive and work until you've found the process that works for a vehicle. That way you aren't more aggressive than needed. I think with a little use, you won't fear the microfiber pads. I even have some 4" white microfiber pads for finishing polish I'll break out occasionally. It's not often I find that needed though. Just another tool in the tool box.

I tried priming my new MF pad when I brought my Rupes, and boy did I mess something up, because I could remove the Paint correction polish at all. I went right back to the foam pads. I'll do more testing in the spring.

If I use Adam's pads I do not prime them, but if I use a Rupes pad (or a similar stiff pad) I do 'butter' them. I also 'butter' the MF pads (see my method below).

IMAG0218_zps2otqfekz.jpg

IMAG0219_zpsukaunpxg.jpg

IMAG0220_zps8223leca.jpg

This sure seems like a lot of product? Every time I have used the microfiber pads I normally apply 3 to 4 blobs and rub it in with my fingers. Always get good results this way

I use a little bit of polish, a shot or two of detail spray and then I spread it around the panel and go to town. Once the pads have a decent amount of polish in them, there's no need for repeating the detail spray.

Out of curiosity what is it that has you uncomfortable about using the microfiber pads? Technique is the same. You just have to brush the fibers up from time to time once they flatten out. It's an added step that offers a better cut than foam pads. So microfiber pad and correcting polish followed by foam pad and correcting polish and then a foam pad with finishing polish. This same procedure will hold true with the new heavy correcting polish.

Simply start with the least aggressive and work until you've found the process that works for a vehicle. That way you aren't more aggressive than needed. I think with a little use, you won't fear the microfiber pads. I even have some 4" white microfiber pads for finishing polish I'll break out occasionally. It's not often I find that needed though. Just another tool in the tool box.

The first time I tried to use MF pads I could never get the fibers to stand back up like the polish was caked on. Even with a stiff brush and air they just got too matted up. I still have the original pad that I used and I san still see little white beads of dried up polish in the fibers, lol! I will probably try them again at some point. probably when I get a new long-throw polisher. Maybe I can get Santa to bring me one this year!

Edited by chops1sc

My first microfiber pad broke the first time I used it.  The foam just blew out on a flat surface.  And they don't cling for crap to the Rupes 15 mk II.  Have two more, and I alternate until they decide to leave the polisher.  Foam ones are great.

My first microfiber pad broke the first time I used it. The foam just blew out on a flat surface. And they don't cling for crap to the Rupes 15 mk II. Have two more, and I alternate until they decide to leave the polisher. Foam ones are great.

Was that an Adams microfiber pad?

My first microfiber pad broke the first time I used it.  The foam just blew out on a flat surface.  And they don't cling for crap to the Rupes 15 mk II.  Have two more, and I alternate until they decide to leave the polisher.  Foam ones are great.

How many panels did you polish before that happened?  

I have had the same issue (with a PC and Rupes) if the pad is worked too long without allowing them to cool off.  The long throw of the Rupes heats up them even more.  I now rotate 2 MF pads, swapping after each panel.

If I use Adam's pads I do not prime them, but if I use a Rupes pad (or a similar stiff pad) I do 'butter' them. I also 'butter' the MF pads (see my method below).

IMAG0218_zps2otqfekz.jpg

IMAG0219_zpsukaunpxg.jpg

IMAG0220_zps8223leca.jpg

How much correction will that pad do with that amount of polish? 1 panel, 1 whole side, whole car???

I found that the Rupes was quicker to make the pads ineffective this week when I detailed a heavily damaged vehicle.  I ended up going through more pads than I typically did when using just a Cyclo.  I didn't have the chance to clean them yet though since I finished later than I planned.  I'm going to run through the pad cleaner and see how they cleaned up.  Fortunately, I realize that wearing out pads is part of the "cost of doing business," but I was hoping they'd last longer.  It's a combination of really having to work the pad and the extent of the damage on the car that caused it.  But it was a good lesson to learn. 

When I clean the pads this week, I'll post it up and see how well they clean out (or don't clean out) and if they're usable or not.

I found that the Rupes was quicker to make the pads ineffective this week when I detailed a heavily damaged vehicle. I ended up going through more pads than I typically did when using just a Cyclo. I didn't have the chance to clean them yet though since I finished later than I planned. I'm going to run through the pad cleaner and see how they cleaned up. Fortunately, I realize that wearing out pads is part of the "cost of doing business," but I was hoping they'd last longer. It's a combination of really having to work the pad and the extent of the damage on the car that caused it. But it was a good lesson to learn.

When I clean the pads this week, I'll post it up and see how well they clean out (or don't clean out) and if they're usable or not.

Medic, what's your pad cleaning method? Do you use a pad washer? Or hand clean, like in the Adams videos? I've been putting a grit guard in the deep sink and filling with water, just above the top of the grit guard. Then I soak the pad with Adams GP, hand massage it, then rub the pad against the grit guard, then rinse under stream. Repeat as necessary, then wring out and dry on a rack for at least a day. I've also considered adding a dash of laundry soap to the water if I'm going to clean the microfiber pad. Edited by Jason S.

I actually have the Grit Guard Pad Cleaner.  It works well.  If I only have a pad or two, I'll hand wash.  But otherwise, the cleaner works great for me.  I do realize in itself it'll wear a little bit faster than the hand method.  But I've never gotten the pads as clean by hand as I can with the cleaner.

How much correction will that pad do with that amount of polish? 1 panel, 1 whole side, whole car???

That is the just the 'priming'.  It may be a little heavy, but it allows for full coverage.  I will add 3 pea size drops for each panel, using the pad brush between each section.  I also prime/butter stiff Rupes 'type' foam pads.